Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Ceremonial Magic (History)  (Read 2789 times)

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Ceremonial Magic (History)
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »
I'm looking for resources on the history of ceremonial magic traditions of the Golden Dawn / Thelema / etc. type.  (General history or history of a specific tradition --- either one is fine.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:46:06 pm by RandallS »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Ceremonial magic
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;103893
I'm looking for resources on the history of ceremonial magic traditions of the Golden Dawn / Thelema / etc. type.  (General history or history of a specific tradition --- either one is fine.)

There's some things in Hutton's _Triumph of the Moon_ that might be of use - he spends the early part of the book talking about the various strands that got brought into the development of Wicca.

But I also found Mary K Greer's _Women of the Golden Dawn_ immensely helpful for getting a sense of the development. While it's (obviously) focused on the women involved, there's a lot of general explanation of the development of the practices and so on that gets tucked in there.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:08:12 pm »

Good introductory book to Thelemic side of things is Rodney Orpheus' "Abrahadabra", followed by Lon Milo Duquette's "The Magick of Aleister Crowley".  Duquette's books are quite, quite recommendable! Get some and enjoy. :) It's easier if you get into the actual Crowley material with a bit of a background studying done first, his aren't always the easiest of texts around.

http://oto.org/  gives you links to lodges around your area and information provided by their sites keeps you reading for a while. Thelemapedia helps with terms and concepts of Thelema. The Aleister Crowley Society's site contains information and forum.

For Golden Dawn side of things, check Israel Regardie's "The Golden Dawn" for starters.

For more general CM, there's Frater U.D.'s "High Magic", which is a study book with exercises, as is Donald Michael Kraig's "Modern Magick".

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:10:08 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;103903

Aaaand I managed to miss the "history" in the original post. I'll go and get myself some coffee to get my brain going this evening (darned summer time clock adjusting!).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:13:18 pm by Fausta »

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:50:16 pm »

The Essential Golden Dawn by Chic & Sandra Cicero gives history and some practices of the Order, presented in an entry level format.
For GD ritual there's The Golden Dawn by Dr Israel Regardie.  Be warned: this work is wordy to the point of excess.  Only really recommended if you're a student of ritual and/or you want to recreate GD work by the letter.  

I second Fausta's recommendation of Kraig's book.  You'll get some GD history and you'll get his more contemporary take on the GD style of ritual, if you're inclined to study and practice.  I liked this one so much I bought it twice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:51:44 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:05:39 pm »

Trying again. :p

There are a number of good biographies around, touching also the history of ceremonial magick fraternities and organizations. Here's a few.

- Perdurabo: The Life of Aleister Crowley by Richard Kaczynski is a good one. The author is an OTO member himself, so Crowley's magick isn't dealt with as in some other biographies I've read: odd beliefs.   He has also published "Forgotten Templars, The Untold Origins of Ordo Templi Orientis", which I haven't yet purchased, but it'll soon be under way. :whis:

- Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons by John Carter and Strange Angel - The Otherwordly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons by George Pendle both deal with the life and magicks of Jack Parsons, as well as with the happenings of OTO & folks in his surroundings.

- The Magical Dilemma of Victor Neuburg by Jean Overton Fuller gets you close with early 1900's history.

The sites mentioned are still usable, as there's also historical information available.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Ceremonial Magic (History)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:38:12 pm »

If you're more interested in the story of the Golden Dawn than their practices, R.A. Gilbert's 'Revelations of the Golden Dawn' is an entertaining read.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ceremonial Magic (History)
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;103917
If you're more interested in the story of the Golden Dawn than their practices, R.A. Gilbert's 'Revelations of the Golden Dawn' is an entertaining read.

Hanging this off Sophia Catherine's reply but --- to everyone: thank you!  It's a subject I've been wondering about for a long time and have never had adequately explained to me, so I'll be excited to start looking through some of these.

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:02:44 am »

These books are both very interesting, but I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Esotericism-History-Secret-Knowledge/dp/1845530349/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365771237&sr=1-2&keywords=western+esotericism

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Esoteric-Traditions-Historical-Introduction/dp/0195320999/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365771504&sr=1-4&keywords=western+esotericism

And here's one about Crowley etc.

http://www.amazon.com/History-British-Magic-After-Crowley/dp/0955523702/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365771557&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=brittish+magic+after+cowley

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 05:17:23 am »

Here's a good one too...

http://hermetic.com/crowley/

Looks like the GD link is down, but here's brief historic review of the Holy Order which we do know by the letters O.T.O...

http://hermetic.com/heidrick/oto_history.html

and if that's of interest...

http://hermetic.com/crowley/oto/
Semper Fidelis

Tags: