Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Recorded Drumming  (Read 1555 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Recorded Drumming
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:58:26 am »
I'm looking for good recordings of drumming, specifically to aide in altering consciousness and achieving trance states.

Can anyone recommend any?

Thanks!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recorded Drumming
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:54:57 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103715

YMMV. I've just started to use drumming, so I don't have much to go on but here's what I do have:
is free on youtube and it's been okay, but a bit slow to start.
I bought two on iTunes from a Katie Weatherup that are okay, but higher pitched.
The disc that came with Shamanic Spirit by Kenneth Meadows has been the best one for me so far though. (I haven't read the book.)

I've tried to drum myself, but I have trouble doing both drumming and trancing out. And I get agitated with loud drum noise. I listen to the recordings playing a room away.

I've been sampling around to find pitches that don't irritate me. I think it is a very individual thing at least at first.

If you're interested in a possible alternative, a while back I stumbled into these weird videos that tranced me out good and proper. I have not looked into them past the pretty pictures, so I can't say as what they are supposed to do, I just know that I clicked in a random surfing one night and they sent me out and about. I used them prior to listening to drumming and still like them, but they are too long for me and I have to set a timer. The drummings I've listened to come with aural cues to ease one in and out of things which is very nice and far more preferable than the kitchen egg-timer (which feels like it is scalding my brain after listening to a tone for an extended period of time).

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 04:06:46 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103715
I'm looking for good recordings of drumming, specifically to aide in altering consciousness and achieving trance states.

Thanks!

~ Aster

OK, first of all, you have to ignore the terrible titles, which usually involve 'shamanic' in some way or other. If you can do that, this is a good album - different lengths of tracks depending on how long you want to meditate (etc) for.

I don't find pure drumming as helpful as drumming + relaxing tracks. This is my favourite of that genre.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:17:09 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;103717
If you're interested in a possible alternative, a while back I stumbled into these weird videos that tranced me out good and proper. I have not looked into them past the pretty pictures, so I can't say as what they are supposed to do, I just know that I clicked in a random surfing one night and they sent me out and about. I used them prior to listening to drumming and still like them, but they are too long for me and I have to set a timer. The drummings I've listened to come with aural cues to ease one in and out of things which is very nice and far more preferable than the kitchen egg-timer (which feels like it is scalding my brain after listening to a tone for an extended period of time).

Binaurals are meant to work by essentially tricking your brain into achieving different brainwave states - Alpha, Gamma, Delta etc - through sound. I'm not sure whether the science is good or not, but they're the only thing that help my insomnia. I listen to a 'Delta' CD for twenty minutes before bed and it seems to help me get into deep sleep (which my sleep disorder sometimes prevents). But it could be just that I'm meditating and that helps, or it could be a placebo thing. Wikipedia has a bit on them.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Recorded Drumming
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;103719

Thanks, everyone.  I'm checking all the suggestions out.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:16:05 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103809
Thanks, everyone.  I'm checking all the suggestions out.

Searching for "drumming" on Spotify turned up quite a bit that might be useful. If you don't use Spotify, you might want to give it a try. It's completely free in the US (with commercials every 10-15 minutes), you only have to pay if you want to use it while offline or just hate commercials. Even if you want a CD, it's a great way to try music before you buy.

https://www.spotify.com/
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Recorded Drumming
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:36:53 am »
Quote from: RandallS;103841
Searching for "drumming" on Spotify turned up quite a bit that might be useful. If you don't use Spotify, you might want to give it a try. It's completely free in the US (with commercials every 10-15 minutes), you only have to pay if you want to use it while offline or just hate commercials. Even if you want a CD, it's a great way to try music before you buy.

https://www.spotify.com/

Cool.  I don't know about Spotify.  I'll check it out.

Thanks!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 01:18:03 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103847

Lyric found it last year. I did not give it a try until December, but I'm sorry I did not try it earlier.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103847

Thanks!

Spotify is awesome.

I use it for character playlists for writing, and to try out music that I'm not sure I'm going to like - I have the $5 a month subscription plan, which gives me unlimited listening, but not on mobile devices.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: