Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Atheist Group Sues U.S Government over In God We Trust  (Read 10311 times)

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Atheist Group Sues U.S Government over In God We Trust
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:58:10 pm »
Now I don't care what's on my money, as I'm to busy spending it, but I want your opinion of this. Apparently Atheists are suing to have In God We Trust removed from our currency. This is going to cost a fortune with ordering new plates, making sure that no one uses the old ones, destroying the old ones, and so on. Your opinions are great but as for me, I don't feel like my rights are being violated or do I feel uncomfortable.

Everything is turning digital anyway, with everyone using credit cards to pay bills and stuff.

http://christiannews.net/2013/03/15/atheist-group-sues-u-s-government-demanding-in-god-we-trust-be-removed-from-currency/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:58:45 pm by RedHawk »

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Atheist Group Sues U.S Government over In God We Trust
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:02:20 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103644
Now I don't care what's on my money, as I'm to busy spending it, but I want your opinion of this. Apparently Atheists are suing to have In God We Trust removed from our currency. This is going to cost a fortune with ordering new plates, making sure that no one uses the old ones, destroying the old ones, and so on. Your opinions are great but as for me, I don't feel like my rights are being violated or do I feel uncomfortable.

Everything is turning digital anyway, with everyone using credit cards to pay bills and stuff.

http://christiannews.net/2013/03/15/atheist-group-sues-u-s-government-demanding-in-god-we-trust-be-removed-from-currency/

I hate the "In God we Trust" stuff, mostly because it's a vestige of McCarthyism.  We're still fighting the damn godless commies on our money.

Really?

It's stupid and I want it to go away.  I'm not sure I agree it's worth a lawsuit, but I'm not going to say it ISN'T.  It IS a church/state violation.  It's clinging to a past that never was.  And it IS used as a club sometimes.

So.  Not sure I'm for it, but I sure as hell ain't against it.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:04:09 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103644

I can't imagine it'll do anything more than the 2011 case did.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;103646
I hate the "In God we Trust" stuff, mostly because it's a vestige of McCarthyism.  We're still fighting the damn godless commies on our money.

Really?

It's stupid and I want it to go away.  I'm not sure I agree it's worth a lawsuit, but I'm not going to say it ISN'T.  It IS a church/state violation.  It's clinging to a past that never was.  And it IS used as a club sometimes.

^^ all of this. It annoys me and is massively outdated. Besides the new plates wouldn't necessarily cost much they're rotated in to use based on wear, if the new design were allowed to be implemented that way the costs shouldn't be massive. It's an absolute violation of church and state and needs to GTFO.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Atheist Group Sues U.S Government over In God We Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »
Quote from: Asch;103648
^^ all of this. It annoys me and is massively outdated. Besides the new plates wouldn't necessarily cost much they're rotated in to use based on wear, if the new design were allowed to be implemented that way the costs shouldn't be massive. It's an absolute violation of church and state and needs to GTFO.

Ditto.

I think "one nation under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance needs to go away, too.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:27:08 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103652
Ditto.

I think "one nation under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance needs to go away, too.

~ Aster

Considering that the quote was added to paper money in the 50's about the same time 'Under God' was added to the pledge, it's a very recent thing. And yes, the commie scare of the 50's was to blame

Coins had it on them dating back to the Civil War, so that's a little more problematic

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:28:50 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;103653
Considering that the quote was added to paper money in the 50's about the same time 'Under God' was added to the pledge, it's a very recent thing. And yes, the commie scare of the 50's was to blame

Coins had it on them dating back to the Civil War, so that's a little more problematic

How would it be more problematic for coins? I'm not sure how the date of implementation would impact standing etc. it's still a violation.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:28:59 pm »

Really?

All of THIS.

Quote from: Aster Breo;103652

And THIS.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:38 pm »

Really?

This is pretty much how I feel about it. The godless commies are no longer a threat -- and I doubt putting "In God We Trust" on our money or adding "under God" to the pledge had anything to do with the fall of communism.  They can go away any time.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 05:42:10 pm »
Quote from: Asch;103654
How would it be more problematic for coins? I'm not sure how the date of implementation would impact standing etc. it's still a violation.

Oh, I agree it's a violation - just that it's had more time to 'stick' than the paper or pledge additions

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 05:43:38 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;103655
All of THIS.

And THIS.

I think the whole thing is stupid. Once again, I don't care what's on my money and I never will. Of course if we want God taking out of the government then we need to get rid of the constitution and draft a new one.

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;103659
Oh, I agree it's a violation - just that it's had more time to 'stick' than the paper or pledge additions

Then the mention of God in the constitution is a violation as well.

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:48 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103663

What I want to know is what's up with attacking Poseidon and putting him with Jesus and the Devil during the attack on what Christians believe. Personally live and let live. If you don't like In God We Trust on your money, then stick with credit cards. Paper money is so last century.

Personally I felt like an outside when they attacked Poseidon. I felt like they hated pagans that believe in Poseidon when they did it. Who sets these things up?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:52 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103663

Please find me ONE mention of God in the constitution.  ONE.

It's not there.

It's in the Declaration of Independence, but that's not a legal document in the same sense.

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 05:51:45 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;103665
Please find me ONE mention of God in the constitution.  ONE.

It's not there.

It's in the Declaration of Independence, but that's not a legal document in the same sense.

Okay, my bad. Then throw out the Declaration of Independence and write a new one. If we really want to change the words on the bill it should be In Zeus we trust, In Odin we Trust, In my Vagina we Trust, or In Sex We trust. Or how about in Money We Trust.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:54:00 pm by RedHawk »

Tags: