collapse

Author Topic: Tech: Sleipnir Browser  (Read 2601 times)

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
Sleipnir Browser
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:49:07 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

I saw it while looking up Odin's Horse, and thought I'd try it based on the name alone.  So far, it's about par with Firefox, my previous browser.  It's selling line is that it's highly customizable UI (I'd add the caveat "for a browser") and it fairly bilingual.  Not only does it work on both Windows and iOS, but it does both Trident and WebKit for browser engines, in addition to support being English and Japanese.  Apparently it's the third or fourth largest browser in Japan.  Version 4 just came out on Apple, but I'm still on v3 with Windows, though it looks like 4 isn't far for me.

My favourite feature so far is the ability to list tabs on the side.  As someone prone to many tabs, this allows tabs to contain enough text for identification even if I've got a whole slew of them open.  It also introduced me to the concept of tab groups, which was apparently available on Ff, but I never knew it.

So far unresolved problems are :
*Doesn't support display of vine videos. (meh)
*I can't find out how to turn of "Ad choices" which randomly turn words into ads with preview popup.  I could turn it of in Ff, so I know it's possible.  But I haven't encountered them more than the once, so I don't think it'll drive me away.
*Randomly slow.  As in 3 seconds for something instead of 1, so we're not back to dial-up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:55:41 pm by RandallS »
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sleipnir Browser
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:37:59 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;102412
I was wondering if anyone has tried it.
I saw it while looking up Odin's Horse, and thought I'd try it based on the name alone.  So far, it's about par with Firefox, my previous browser.  It's selling line is that it's highly customizable UI (I'd add the caveat "for a browser") and it fairly bilingual.  Not only does it work on both Windows and iOS, but it does both Trident and WebKit for browser engines, in addition to support being English and Japanese.  Apparently it's the third or fourth largest browser in Japan.  Version 4 just came out on Apple, but I'm still on v3 with Windows, though it looks like 4 isn't far for me.

My favourite feature so far is the ability to list tabs on the side.  As someone prone to many tabs, this allows tabs to contain enough text for identification even if I've got a whole slew of them open.  It also introduced me to the concept of tab groups, which was apparently available on Ff, but I never knew it.

So far unresolved problems are :
*Doesn't support display of vine videos. (meh)
*I can't find out how to turn of "Ad choices" which randomly turn words into ads with preview popup.  I could turn it of in Ff, so I know it's possible.  But I haven't encountered them more than the once, so I don't think it'll drive me away.
*Randomly slow.  As in 3 seconds for something instead of 1, so we're not back to dial-up.

I saw "windows" and "iOS" and my brain shut down... sorry, can't help... anything.... o_o

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:11 am »
Quote from: Laveth;102418
I saw "windows" and "iOS" and my brain shut down... sorry, can't help... anything.... o_o

Why did the operating systems make your brain shut down?
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:59:27 am »
Quote from: drekfletch;102412
*I can't find out how to turn of "Ad choices" which randomly turn words into ads with preview popup.  I could turn it of in Ff, so I know it's possible.  But I haven't encountered them more than the once, so I don't think it'll drive me away.

I suspect this type of blopcking is handled by an extension on Firefox.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;102429
Why did the operating systems make your brain shut down?

Probably because some of the people, here, have forgotten more about computers than some of us will ever know ...

Tags: