Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning  (Read 15260 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning
« on: March 20, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »
Like a bunch of other people, I'm thinking about starting my spring cleaning.  Like a bunch of people, I'm dreading the actual doing and don't actually know where to start.  So, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could talk about what needs to be done during a spring clean, share ideas, and maybe track our baby steps toward unfucking our habitats.

So, what are you planning for spring cleaning?  Have you started?  How are you prioritizing, and what have you done today?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:49 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;102059
Like a bunch of other people, I'm thinking about starting my spring cleaning.  Like a bunch of people, I'm dreading the actual doing and don't actually know where to start.  So, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could talk about what needs to be done during a spring clean, share ideas, and maybe track our baby steps toward unfucking our habitats.

So, what are you planning for spring cleaning?  Have you started?  How are you prioritizing, and what have you done today?

I've got so much to do, started with the three-season porch, which over the winter had become the 'no time to store this in it's place, just toss it out there' spot

It's about 90% done at this point - next is the infamous 'room from hell' - where I have my computer, altar and crafting stuff (scale models, sewing, leather, etc)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »

We've just moved, so I think we did most of the necessary "purging" part already, but there's still plenty of boxes to get through. At the moment I'm doing my best to set good New House Habits - unpack one box a day, make sure the dishes are in the dishwasher every day, wipe down the shower and sweep the front step regularly, etc. It's slow going, but I figure slow and steady wins the race, ya? I've actually resorted to putting all my chores into my electronic to-do list. It's kind of sad, but I guess it's less sad than not doing them because my mug has become invisible.

If it's nice this weekend, I want to get some significant organizing and de-boxing done. My wife's going to be out of town and the distraction will be good, I think. I'll probably do some UFYH-style 20/10s to keep myself on task. Also I need containers. To contain things...
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:18:29 pm »

Spring Cleaning this year includes CLEAN THE WHOLE ROOM and PURGE ALL THE THINGS. Basically, over the fall and winter my room has become a direct reflection of my mental state, as it does, and so it is a complete and total mess in which nothing can be accomplished. Once the room is clean and functional, I can start sorting through the boxes and boxes of crap that moved down from CT with me.

I have not started yet. I have done a lot of thinking about starting, but anxiety. Yay. I just read the link Jack posted, and I think I am going to reread it and then start on some list making, as that helps me focus.

I did want to share a site I use, though, for day to day management of not just cleaning but stuff: HabitRPG. It's still in the development phase so it is occasionally buggy, but I enjoy it, and it seems to help.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:24:27 pm »
Quote from: Jack;102061
...It's kind of sad, but I guess it's less sad than not doing them because my mug has become invisible...

I loved that article.  I want a list of things called "Jobs that I should do to prevent my partner from experiencing spontaneous combustion in the bedroom."

I also want unproductive Free Play time!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »

I did laundry, so I have clean towels for the first time in...a long time.

Mom was the one who cleaned up the laundry room to make that possible, tho.

I also took a detox bath and put on a detox face/body masque (the burning means it's WORKING) as part of my spring cleaning stuff today. I mean, my body is my main habitat, y'know? Tho I don't necessarily want it unfucked.  

And I've re-done my writer blog and am reworking what I'm going to be blogging about. De-cluttering there.

Also started doing the How To Be a Fat Bitch Ecourse, which is helping me clean out some lingering self-hatred and fatphobia that's buried deep in my brain. It's kind of amazing how difficult it is for me to do these assignments; difficult as in I don't want to leave my comfort zone of quietly hating myself. But it's necessary to do, and good.

So there's that, too.

Even though I view now as Midspring and so am kind of late with doing the Spring Cleaning. Brighid forgive me.

Other things on the table:

Cleaning the kitchen.
Re-orging the altars; de-cluttering sacred space. Esp. the ancestors altar. Maybe moving that one to a better place in the house.  
Cleaning candle wax off various pieces of furniture and certainly not the carpet. :whis:
Re-orging closet, clothes; seeing if I can't get rid of more pieces that I don't need to keep around anymore.
Clean up my workspace? Maybe? And get my notes organized? (HORROR OF HORRORS)
Actually get to a place where I can do the stuff I said I was going to do this year. That's really the big thing, I guess.
Magical housecleaning: setting up wards, cleansing all the old gunky energy out without banishing my grandmother's spirit.

First priority is finishing the laundry, though, because then I'll be able to pack for Spring Mysteries (oh gods, oh gods, it's in a week, oh gods).
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:43:45 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;102069
I loved that article.  I want a list of things called "Jobs that I should do to prevent my partner from experiencing spontaneous combustion in the bedroom."

I also want unproductive Free Play time!

You had that - Saturday night at the Ball ;)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 06:49:38 pm »

I've unpacked! This is big progress.  Did it in under a week.

Also continuing the laundry /donation project.  If it doesn't fit it goes away!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:57:36 pm »
Quote from: Jack;102061
It's kind of sad, but I guess it's less sad than not doing them because my mug has become invisible.

That article makes me wonder if the Ogre and I both don't have some undiagnosed form of ADD. Because, yeah. Both of us to a T. He's worse on the "100% invisible mug" bit; I'm worse on the getting distracted and losing focus bit. I mean, once he starts on a task he'll usually see it through.

Usually.

Moving in together in 3 months is going to be so awesome.

Actually truthfully it's probably a really good thing we're both like that. If it were some sort of Odd Couple set up then I'd end up murdering him with a spatula.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;102087
I've unpacked! This is big progress.  Did it in under a week.

I was all about to be impressed when it's been two weeks since I moved and I feel like I haven't made a dent, and then I realized you haven't actually moved lately and are probably talking about the con. XD

That's still awesome, though!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »
Quote from: Morag;102088
That article makes me wonder if the Ogre and I both don't have some undiagnosed form of ADD. Because, yeah. Both of us to a T. He's worse on the "100% invisible mug" bit; I'm worse on the getting distracted and losing focus bit. I mean, once he starts on a task he'll usually see it through.

Usually.

Moving in together in 3 months is going to be so awesome.

Actually truthfully it's probably a really good thing we're both like that. If it were some sort of Odd Couple set up then I'd end up murdering him with a spatula.

The list thing is really amazing for making me actually look at things that I've otherwise sorted as invisible. Hopefully you guys end up compatible; my wife and I have complimentary blind spots, so it works pretty well.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:51:39 pm »
Quote from: Jack;102090
I was all about to be impressed when it's been two weeks since I moved and I feel like I haven't made a dent, and then I realized you haven't actually moved lately and are probably talking about the con. XD

That's still awesome, though!

Oh yes, just a suitcase!  but usually it'll sit until I want the clothes in there, and then I'll mutter that they're dirty. :p

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 07:56:26 pm »

I am currently 1500 miles from home (give or take a dozen), which makes it a bit hard to clean.

However, I did a fair bit of cleaning before I left (because coming back to a clean apartment is better than not), and I have plans to dig through stuff that needs sorting and attending to when I get back (or rather, get back and recover from travelling. Which might be mid-April, because I'm only home for about 10 day before going away again, which is enough to do laundry and pack again and small things, but probably not enough for 'excavate closet into which I piled some random things when I moved in')
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 01:00:22 am »

Unfucking.  That's the word of the season.  Between the depression shit and the job loss the winter months have been sheer hell for me and it's reflected in my living space.  From the home to the yard to the garden.  Walls need washing, windows need vinegar, and just about every  flat surface needs to be decluttered.  Sometimes it looks daunting and with this mental state it's hard to get even the most minor tasks completed, so if baby steps are the only thing I can manage it's a victory.  Part of my coping mechanism involves setting a daily task/goal, no matter how miniscule.  Today it's cleaning off the computer table and wiping it down.  Tomorrow I might take the weed whacker to something outdoors.  If I get to something else, great; if not, I'm not gonna kick myself about it-- I'll light a candle, play with my kids, and point my brain in a brighter direction.  I know that the inner detritus will leave with the outer.  When I'm done with the cleaning, it's onto some serious cleansing, blessing, etc.
There's no timetable, and I figure if spring cleaning is done by May then I can re-finish the floors.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:01:26 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 02:16:07 am »

I'm not too bad. Noel is somewhat OCD about things getting too untidy, but there are certain areas that need sorting out, desperately. Like my office. Oh Gods, my office. The dumping ground for anything and everything. And the pantry. I need space for all of my new baking stuff, but it is full of all Noel's stuff! We need to get things straight.

My office first though, I think.......
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Tags: