collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Venerating the Virgin Mary & Other Saints  (Read 2754 times)

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Venerating the Virgin Mary & Other Saints
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:23:56 pm »
Is it weird to want to venerate the Virgin Mary and other Saints when I am not Christian and do not believe in the divinity of Christ?

I believe Jesus was an enlightened holy man, like the Buddha, Ghandi, Muhammad, etc., but not Divine. But something about Mary and the other Saints calls to me. It is why it took me so long to leave the Christian faith. It seems weird though that'd I want to venerate Mary when I don't even believe Jesus is divine. She would kind of lose her purpose then, you know?

But something about the love I feel when thinking about her or when I prayed the Rosary. The love that so many Catholics have for her as their Mother is beautiful, and I like the idea of it.

Now, I know I can worship/venerate whomever or whatever I so choose, but does anyone else do this? Long shot, probably.
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Venerating the Virgin Mary & Other Saints
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:12:36 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;101947
Is it weird to want to venerate the Virgin Mary and other Saints when I am not Christian and do not believe in the divinity of Christ?

Hmm mine's an odd one; I went to church and Sunday School, but I was never raised to be a Christian. Home life wasn't particularly religious and my school was really multi-faith. Mum however is a deeply religious person.. she's not to the level wearing an 'I Love Christ' t-shirt, but religion is a big part of her life.
As such we visited a lot of shrines when I was younger. Some were lovely, some depressing and others were just downright scary. But one I will always remember is the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Namely, the beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary in the shrine and the wonderful sense of peace and tranquility emanating from it.

On a slightly related note, recently I re-discovered the Asian goddess of mercy and compassion known as Guanyin. In one depiction she looked startlingly like the Virgin Mary.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

It's not unheard of. I honour Mary. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either, but there you go. There's a long tradition of folk veneration and folk magic with saints, which, while usually in generally/nominally Christian contexts, is often mixed with practices the Catholic church isn't particularly fond of. And sometimes it's found in syncretic contexts, like New Orleans Voodoo. My personal opinion is that many saints are willing to be involved with activities outside of Christianity.

Quote from: troll maiden;102055
As such we visited a lot of shrines when I was younger. Some were lovely, some depressing and others were just downright scary. But one I will always remember is the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Namely, the beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary in the shrine and the wonderful sense of peace and tranquility emanating from it.

I really wish I'd gone to Walsingham when I was still an Anglican - I missed a few chances. I should visit anyway - but I wouldn't feel right going there on pilgrimage anymore.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:31:57 pm »

Now, I know I can worship/venerate whomever or whatever I so choose, but does anyone else do this? Long shot, probably.

I honor a handful of saints among my Mighty Dead, and I have never been Christian. Christianity does have a long history in my family, particularly Catholicism, so it just made sense? They don't seem to mind the attention from a non-Christian, at any rate.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »
Hmm mine's an odd one; I went to church and Sunday School, but I was never raised to be a Christian. Home life wasn't particularly religious and my school was really multi-faith. Mum however is a deeply religious person.. she's not to the level wearing an 'I Love Christ' t-shirt, but religion is a big part of her life.

On a slightly related note, recently I re-discovered the Asian goddess of mercy and compassion known as Guanyin. In one depiction she looked startlingly like the Virgin Mary.

I have been thinking it must just be a Goddess that I view as the Virgin Mary because she is familiar to me. I have looked into Guanyin before, but I'd feel silly worshipping a Chinese goddess considering I am not even the tiniest bit of Asian. That is my own hang up though.

Quote from: Sophia Catherine;102063
It's not unheard of. I honour Mary. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either, but there you go. There's a long tradition of folk veneration and folk magic with saints, which, while usually in generally/nominally Christian contexts, is often mixed with practices the Catholic church isn't particularly fond of. And sometimes it's found in syncretic contexts, like New Orleans Voodoo. My personal opinion is that many saints are willing to be involved with activities outside of Christianity.

The odd thing for me is, since I don't believe in the the Divinity of Christ, Mary shouldn't have any significance for me. I could see if I believed Jesus was Divine but just chose not to worship him.

Quote from: Juni;102071
I honor a handful of saints among my Mighty Dead, and I have never been Christian. Christianity does have a long history in my family, particularly Catholicism, so it just made sense? They don't seem to mind the attention from a non-Christian, at any rate.

Christianity is strong in my family, too. I do not honor any ancestors at the moment, but maybe honoring them will make it less awkward to honor Saints.
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;102063
I really wish I'd gone to Walsingham when I was still an Anglican - I missed a few chances. I should visit anyway - but I wouldn't feel right going there on pilgrimage anymore.

It's a lovely place, very peaceful and relaxing. I see what you mean- but I wouldn't call it a pilgrimage. To me it feels like I'm paying respect. I know that probably sounds weird, but that's the feeling I get when I'm there. Even though I don't believe I feel like I'm acknowledging it as a spiritually rich place.

Sorry if that was rambling and nonsensical... :o

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 12:09:35 am »

Not necessarily. I think she attracts a lot of pagans and non-Abrahamics because she embodies a maternal nature that has universal appeal, and the way she is venerated is very beautiful. Not to mention her titles and imagery greatly overlap with goddesses like Isis and Aphrodite. I have a soft spot for the Blessed Virgin Mary for these reasons, myself. In his prayer to Our Lady of Walsingham, Erasmus called her, "Heaven, for of thee arose the Sun of Righteousness." That kind of symbolism in which the sky mother gives birth the sun-child is very Egyptian, and I think the Roman, high Anglican, and Eastern Orthodox churches preserved a lot of ancient tradition by incorporating it into Christianity, which is fine, and common for religions to influence each other.

I've heard that the BVM was basically worshiped like a goddess herself in the medieval church, and that Jesus was very rarely directly addressed. Medieval devotion was directed more towards Almighty God and Blessed Mary Ever-Virgin, the holy father and mother. Mary is similar to her son in many ways, such as being conceived immaculately and without the stain of sin. In this way she is just as pure as Jesus, and inspires a lot of devotion.

But one I will always remember is the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Namely, the beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary in the shrine and the wonderful sense of peace and tranquility emanating from it.

Quote from: Naomi J;102063

Our Lady of Walsingham is a big interest for me, too. My great-grandfather was a Church of England priest who took his parish on pilgrimages there when my grandmother was growing up, so she has a lot of memories of the shrine as well. I keep a statue of OLW on my bedroom shrine, and I just find her to be a very beautiful part of English Christian heritage. I've never been to the shrine myself, but it's high on my list of places to visit.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:56:10 am »

I'm glad this thread got revived; I have a lot to say about this. I'll make my general remarks first.

I still have occasional encounters with the Virgin. She showed up the day before yesterday and flooded me with warm fuzzies, probably because I was a bit sad as I was thinking about her. I've never encountered her as anything other than a totally compassionate, benevolent presence. My UPG is that she is completely impartial in giving her love, and views all humans as Her children.

I still will petition her on occasion, but never for myself. She seems to know when I'm feeling powerless to help someone, and invariably pops up when one of my friends is in distress and I can do nothing but pray. She's great at providing comfort, so I usually do go to her when someone needs to be succoured.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:59:22 am »
Quote from: Nyktelios;164909
I've heard that the BVM was basically worshiped like a goddess herself in the medieval church, and that Jesus was very rarely directly addressed. Medieval devotion was directed more towards Almighty God and Blessed Mary Ever-Virgin, the holy father and mother. Mary is similar to her son in many ways, such as being conceived immaculately and without the stain of sin. In this way she is just as pure as Jesus, and inspires a lot of devotion.

Basic nitpick here: Mary was not and never has been worshiped by Catholics. She has always been an important object of devotion, and her "cult" does indeed look like worship from the outside, but theologians then and now have always been careful to make the distinction between the hyperdulia that the Virgin receives, and the latria which has always been properly reserved for God.

Just pointing it out, because this is a sensitive subject for me. I was raised Roman Catholic and had to spend a lot of time defending myself against Protestant accusations that I wasn't Christian because I supposedly worshiped Mary.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 08:58:52 am »
Is it weird to want to venerate the Virgin Mary and other Saints when I am not Christian and do not believe in the divinity of Christ? ...

But something about the love I feel when thinking about her or when I prayed the Rosary. The love that so many Catholics have for her as their Mother is beautiful, and I like the idea of it.

Many people not of the Catholic faith venerate Mary. She is non-different from any other form of Universal Mother, a loving and compassionate being not unlike Quan yin, Lakshmi, Yemaya, Kali (yes, Kali who is a loving mother ;)), Green Tara, Frigga, and the list goes on. There is a verse from the Rig Veda ekam sat viprah bahuda vadanti, "there is one truth the wise say has many names". Now, some Hindu purists get pissy at how liberally interpreted that can be, but I think it is spot on, and is one of my favorite sayings. So I think if someone wants to venerate Mary, and your heart and gut tell you it is right, have at it. ;)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;164923
Basic nitpick here: Mary was not and never has been worshiped by Catholics.

Point taken, she's not officially worshiped. I do think her "hyperdulia" is just the church's way of justifying the intense devotion she receives, despite not technically being divine or even being mentioned in scripture that much. She is a convenient figure to direct more feminine and motherly divine concerns that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit can't accommodate.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:40 pm »
I'm not going to sugar-coat things for you, here. I think it's a little strange. At the very least, it makes the logic part of my head flip because the saints' position as, well, saints is predicated on Christian ideas of Jesus' divinity and as a conduit for God's power and presence. If you are not a Christian of any sort, it seems strange to me that a person would want to venerate Christian saints. Because then, do you really view them as defined by the religion they come from?
But, at the same time...what I think isn't all that important. Just because I think what you do is strange doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if it makes you happy or fulfilled.

Though from what other things you describe, I wouldn't say you are too far from Christianity. And, mind, I don't think it's impossible for someone to be Christian and some sort of Pagan at the same time. I don't define paganism as inherently non-Abrahamic, though. This might all just be a matter of semantics and definitions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:55:16 pm by Louisvillian »

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »

I believe Jesus was an enlightened holy man, like the Buddha, Ghandi, Muhammad, etc., but not Divine. But something about Mary and the other Saints calls to me. It is why it took me so long to leave the Christian faith. It seems weird though that'd I want to venerate Mary when I don't even believe Jesus is divine. She would kind of lose her purpose then, you know?

I think Christian art is generally quite moving, it was the sole focus of many artists in Europe for quite some time and the talent, devotion, despair, joy and hope is so apparent in their work. It really is a tapestry of humanity, yet somehow elevated. Which to me is what paganism is like, your earthly yet there is something elevated, something more that we work towards (at least for me, even if it is just seasonal/cyclical rather then eternal.)

Tags: