collapse

Author Topic: Rune Circles  (Read 16460 times)

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Circles
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 04:08:18 pm »
Quote from: Olie;101583
awesome! but yeah theres a few rules. the big runes are ones i made up and each one has its own meaning. all together they hafta have some kind of intention for the spell. like in the privacy one the runes mean banish, view, all, and error.
then i use the nordic runes to either spell things out like names or write somethin to be more specific about what the other runes are suppose to mean. those dont actually hafta be runes though. it just needs to be some language or alphabet that you only use when doing magic so more concentration goes into them
then the SHAPES just hafta make some sense to symbolize what the spell is suppose to do. and the main shape has to be a circle to kinda copy the casting a circle idea
so ummm yeah i think thats pretty much the rules! :3

I love your circles!  My slight OCD tendencies kinda wish the pentagram in the first one were more even, but it's a cool layout design.  I love the rest, too, the slightly rough second one has a great feel with the "hand-drawn" feel, and the spiral feeling like swirling and coalescing energy.  

When you make up those set of runes, it looks like some of them could be futhark bindrunes, which is something I do too, from time to time.  Are you familiar with the concept, and if so, is that what you are going for in those?  I won't ask what each one means, because that I can see as being very personal.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 01:55:41 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;108816
I love your circles!  My slight OCD tendencies kinda wish the pentagram in the first one were more even, but it's a cool layout design.  I love the rest, too, the slightly rough second one has a great feel with the "hand-drawn" feel, and the spiral feeling like swirling and coalescing energy.  

When you make up those set of runes, it looks like some of them could be futhark bindrunes, which is something I do too, from time to time.  Are you familiar with the concept, and if so, is that what you are going for in those?  I won't ask what each one means, because that I can see as being very personal.

hahaha crud i didnt notice that pentagram was wonky... now i cant stop starin at it...
but thanks a bunch for liking them!

these arent bindrunes but the idea is sorta the same! except bindrunes are sorta like a buncha runes put together into one rune to make a new meaning. and these are a buncha runes put together as a word to make a new meaning. but i still kinda copied it haha
i dont mind sayin what they mean tho. it just might get wordy and i dont wanna put everyone thru that if they dont wanna read it XP

Hollow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 12:39:00 am »
Quote from: Olie;101493
so heres a thing i been workin on. i started making circles that are kind of like a whole spell thats just cast as a drawing. i seen this kinda stuff in cartoons alot but i've never seen it done in real life so i wanted to try it!
the circles i make are a whole bunch of symbols like some runes and shapes like circles, squares, triangles and lines that all symbolizes some intention. then by drawing the circle widdershins or deosil in a certain color it casts the spell! or you can use the circle like a talisman. or whatever.
im not sure if this made any sense. it made sense in my head. but heres some examples!

this one is a poppet sketch that use instead of things like poppets C:

this ones for a ritual to send energy to the gods

this ones for privacy

and this ones for rain!

Wow...
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but holy cap these are amazing.

As someone who can't even hold a conversation without a sketchbook open illustrating points, this form of casting really appeals to me.

Now I'm a newbie but when I read about people talking about how these would work as a 'power funnel' I thought that maybe In addition to the circles and energy casting, if you mixed up powdered herbs or oils that also facilitate that type of magic into a liquid, then use that like ink to copy the rune circles down, that might amp up the potency again.

Especially if you added some powdered pigment if you're the kind of person that has strong color associations, like me.

A basic recipe (I make my own inks and oil paints some times) would be to mix linseed oil which is the base for oil paints,  your essential oils or essences, and a pinch of powdered food colouring.

If you're using herbs, grind them into a fine powder and add them to the oil mix.

If you don't want to use oils or want a more ink like consistency, mix a pinch of powdered herbs into an alcohol solution with a pinch of powdered food coloring.

Water can work too, or even add them to existing liquid colors.  Don't try and mix an oil into water without a dispersing medium though. Use linseed oil or olive oil.
Profile picture is She Death by Rhi la Vis

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2014, 12:36:25 am »
Quote from: Hollow;144155
Wow...
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but holy cap these are amazing.

As someone who can't even hold a conversation without a sketchbook open illustrating points, this form of casting really appeals to me.

Now I'm a newbie but when I read about people talking about how these would work as a 'power funnel' I thought that maybe In addition to the circles and energy casting, if you mixed up powdered herbs or oils that also facilitate that type of magic into a liquid, then use that like ink to copy the rune circles down, that might amp up the potency again.

Especially if you added some powdered pigment if you're the kind of person that has strong color associations, like me.

A basic recipe (I make my own inks and oil paints some times) would be to mix linseed oil which is the base for oil paints,  your essential oils or essences, and a pinch of powdered food colouring.

If you're using herbs, grind them into a fine powder and add them to the oil mix.

If you don't want to use oils or want a more ink like consistency, mix a pinch of powdered herbs into an alcohol solution with a pinch of powdered food coloring.

Water can work too, or even add them to existing liquid colors.  Don't try and mix an oil into water without a dispersing medium though. Use linseed oil or olive oil.

haha sorry for also postin in a dead thread but thanks! thats a good point with the ink. theres lots of ways i been tryin to use these by either channelin energy as i draw it and then charge it afterwards. its really hard to focus while youre drawin it though but if you use a ink already made for it then that might maybe take care of the channeling! its a really good idea

Mondschein

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic fancypants
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2014, 06:32:07 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;102125
Thinking more about this, I guess it doesn't make sense to not share an amulet design that I wear in public all the time (so people see it).

So here's a pic (if the attachment works) of the "public" side of my "personal transformation" amulet.  

It's based on two of the "extra" ogham characters, called the forfeda, which were added at some point after the older set of ogham characters.  I don't use the forfeda in my ogham divination, but these two seemed to fit what I'm trying to do with this amulet.  In this context, they are meant to incorporate the concepts of Divine wisdom, spiritual inspiration and nourishment; and self-worth. The star is based on a compass rose star, to incorporate the idea of guidance.

The hammer in the pic is a mini blacksmith's hammer, representing Brighid as Smith, and Her role in transformation (like transforming raw iron into a steel sword).

The other side of the amulet -- the side I wear toward my skin -- has a different design that involves a Brighid's cross and some other ogham characters.

~ Aster

WOAH. What's the shape on your mini-hammer?

I ask because I was feeling incredibly frustrated a couple weeks back and I absentmindedly drew that exact shape on a piece of paper. And then I kinda just looked at it and wondered why I made that shape. I honestly don't think I've ever seen it anywhere until now, at least not I can consciously remember. Nothing looking so much like what I'd doodled. It's kinda freaking me out. :eek:
I know you. If I were blind, I would know what you are.

Tags: