Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Writing Your Own Myths  (Read 15525 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Re: Writing Your Own Myths
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:39 am »
Quote from: Altair;101294
A few of us on this board, it turns out, write original myths. Not re-tellings of existing myths, and not so much myths for a fantasy world conceived as part of a work of fiction, but myths for the here and now.

(Or maybe these other categories of myth should also be examined here? Chime in.)

In another thread where this discussion began, SkySamuelle wrote:

"Part of my religious path involves getting to the core of 'storytelling as sacred art' which is mostly about delving into the initiatic potentialities in telling a story - basically knowing a subject/truth through fictional exploration, admitting that a story that takes form through inspiration is more something 'discovered' than 'created'."

If you write original myths:

1. Why do you write them? What do you hope to get out of it?

2. How can you "trust" them? Do you think they can have the same validity as established myth?

3. Can we even call these things we write myths, since traditional myths are not the work of a single author, but are the product of many storytelling hands over a long period of time, cementing them to the cultures from which they spring?

This depends on what you mean. I do not consider myself to do so. I basically just examine what information exists and then analyze it. I draw conclusions and formulate my ideas about the universe. I do write fiction that could be considered obviously influence by my beliefs, but I do not consider these myths. The closest thing I wrote to a myth was just sort of a take on a preexisting myth with a slightly different ending about Ranginui and Papatuanuku, the sky father and earth mother of Maori religion. There was something so beautiful about their love that I was compelled to write something about it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:44:14 am by Riothamus12 »
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Tags: