Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Choosing a Pantheon  (Read 3484 times)

Cali

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Choosing a Pantheon
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:08:10 pm »
I'm relatively new to paganism as a whole and for me, finding a pantheon for me to honor is turning out to be pretty difficult. First of all, I must say I am not interested in reconstructionism and never have been, I would definatley fit much more within the "Neo-pagan" or just on the general polytheist spectrum than anything else. Despite that, I've always held that my spirituality should have some sort of mono-cultural theme to it (all Germanic, all Greek etc.)

My heritage is Celtic (Irish and Welsh), Germanic (Dutch) and Slavic (Polish). I decided to look into all of my ancestral pantheons, spending months reading the myths, the ancient culture and history of the people and looking at individual gods and goddesses. However I never felt drawn to any of the gods of either the Welsh, Irish, German or Slavic pantheons. Whenever I read about any of them, I never felt a strong connection. So I tried reaching out to them have to see if they want a relationship with me. I got no answer. I felt somehow I had shamed my ancestors at not having a relationships with any of those gods and that I had done something wrong. So I took a break for a while and left my research alone for about 4 months or so.

After a while, I decided to take it up again and kept researching. This time, looking into the gods of Kemet. I had always had a fascination with Ancient Egypt, particularly the artwork however I struggled to get a pull from any of the deities or the pantheon in general, although I loved the culture. I had similar experiences with the Greek and Roman pantheons. From the very outset I had this feeling that the Greek gods definatley did not want anything to do with me (just call it a feeling), I think it had a lot to do with the mythology, it just didn't resonate with me at all. I love Italy and Italian culture but I had no connection to any of the Roman deities either, despite how much I researched. I looked into Hinduism and was met with similar results. I didn't feel like the gods wanted a bar of me. Recently, out of desperation, I even tried praying to my ancestors to show me the path and the gods that are right for me, however I'm not seeing signs.

I would really like some advice on how to proceed at this point. I understand that it's hard to give advice to somebody who is on their own path. I'm really feeling quite disillusioned with it all and I have no idea what to do or what to try next.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Choosing a Pantheon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
Quote from: Cali;100567
I would really like some advice on how to proceed at this point. I understand that it's hard to give advice to somebody who is on their own path. I'm really feeling quite disillusioned with it all and I have no idea what to do or what to try next.

Wow, that's a tough situation.

Are you pretty much determined to have a theistic practice? You can have a wonderful spirituality without being theistic. You could do things like path-working, divination, or you could work with herbs. Also, you didn't necessarily shame your ancestors or do something wrong. The gods call to who they will.

Sometimes it seems like it takes a while for some deities to mesh with some devotees. From what I understand, there are also people who never really feel that "pull", but their prayers are answered and they don't get an impression they're unwelcome.

Also, are you fixated on certain deities? Sometimes those you're meant to honor aren't those you're immediately interested in. Often, connection comes just a liiittle bit later. I had this experience with the Kemetic pantheon.

Or did you honor each pantheon only broadly? You might have better luck if you approach a deity separately. Spend a couple months in devotion. See where it leads.

Also be aware that you might not have a choice to be monocultural. Sometimes deities pop in from different cultures and make it clear they're not going away. Had that experience with Ganesha. But I sympathize with the desire to be monocultural.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14:42 am »

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Just relax, and let the right gods find you, so to speak. You may find one deity that you really feel a connection with, and that may draw you into that deity's culture as a whole. That's what happened to me in the beginning, as I became more interested in the Greek pantheon because the goddess I was interested in came from there, although now I also incorporate Egyptian deities into my practice. My advice is to just be patient and let it happen naturally. Read as much as you can, but don't go into it determined to find your pantheon. It's kind of like making friends and meeting romantic partners, you just kind of have to expose yourself and wait for something to click.

Cali

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:26:08 am »
Quote from: Shine;100573
Wow, that's a tough situation.

Are you pretty much determined to have a theistic practice? You can have a wonderful spirituality without being theistic. You could do things like path-working, divination, or you could work with herbs. Also, you didn't necessarily shame your ancestors or do something wrong. The gods call to who they will.

Sometimes it seems like it takes a while for some deities to mesh with some devotees. From what I understand, there are also people who never really feel that "pull", but their prayers are answered and they don't get an impression they're unwelcome.

Also, are you fixated on certain deities? Sometimes those you're meant to honor aren't those you're immediately interested in. Often, connection comes just a liiittle bit later. I had this experience with the Kemetic pantheon.

Or did you honor each pantheon only broadly? You might have better luck if you approach a deity separately. Spend a couple months in devotion. See where it leads.

Also be aware that you might not have a choice to be monocultural. Sometimes deities pop in from different cultures and make it clear they're not going away. Had that experience with Ganesha. But I sympathize with the desire to be monocultural.

I'm pretty determined to have some sort of theistic practice. I wouldn't feel like I'm doing it properly without at least trying it.

Would you say that most people find the religion they like first before the gods and goddesses? Say for example you like Kemeticism, it's practices and values and decide to become a Kemetic and then the gods come to you?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:51 am »
Quote from: Cali;100629
Would you say that most people find the religion they like first before the gods and goddesses? Say for example you like Kemeticism, it's practices and values and decide to become a Kemetic and then the gods come to you?

There is absolutely nothing that will guarantee that "the gods come to you", so, yes, it is best to find a religion that actually suits you and practice that.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
Quote from: Cali;100629

I second Darkhawk. There's no guarantee the gods will come to you, so you need to find a religion whose values and practices you enjoy. That said, if you're actively practicing the religion they're part of, the gods may take notice.

Again, not everyone is going to feel a pull or a thwap from the gods. From what I understand, that's fairly rare (but looks common because those kinds of people tend to congregate, lol). So, even if you don't feel a pull toward this deity or that, as long as you don't get the sense that you're actively unwanted, it doesn't hurt to choose the gods you want to worship and go from there.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:30 am »

I agree with those who've pointed out that not every spiritual path involves deities. I'm a bit of an oddity among my Pagan friends, most of whom don't bother much with gods - they might honour one at a seasonal ritual occasionally, but that's about it. Animism, pantheism and non-theistic, humanistic approaches to various Pagan paths can work very well. (I'm an animist as well as a polytheist, and spend more time hanging out with spirits of the land and my ancestors than I do with my gods.)

But I do wish you all the best with finding or creating your path. I'm working mine out as I go. It seems to make most sense that way.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:56:18 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Cali

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:24 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;100675
I agree with those who've pointed out that not every spiritual path involves deities. I'm a bit of an oddity among my Pagan friends, most of whom don't bother much with gods - they might honour one at a seasonal ritual occasionally, but that's about it. Animism, pantheism and non-theistic, humanistic approaches to various Pagan paths can work very well. (I'm an animist as well as a polytheist, and spend more time hanging out with spirits of the land and my ancestors than I do with my gods.)

But I do wish you all the best with finding or creating your path. I'm working mine out as I go. It seems to make most sense that way.

I must admit that sounds very much like the type of practice I'd like to have eventually. I've always felt very connected to my ancestors, though I've never tried engaging with land spirits. I just feel I should have some sort of direction in my spiritual beliefs, either a religion or a strong spiritual tradition as a foundation.

It sounds to me like I was going at things backwards, trying to find my pantheon when I don't even really know what direction I want to take my spirituality. I definatley do not want to be what they call a "god slave", I'd just like to have a pantheon or a few deities that I can feel connected to and honor ever now and again.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:29:28 am »
Quote from: Cali;100733
I must admit that sounds very much like the type of practice I'd like to have eventually. I've always felt very connected to my ancestors, though I've never tried engaging with land spirits. I just feel I should have some sort of direction in my spiritual beliefs, either a religion or a strong spiritual tradition as a foundation.

It sounds to me like I was going at things backwards, trying to find my pantheon when I don't even really know what direction I want to take my spirituality. I definatley do not want to be what they call a "god slave", I'd just like to have a pantheon or a few deities that I can feel connected to and honor ever now and again.

You may find that there are other ways to have direction in your spiritual beliefs, rather than focusing on deities. Are there other things that you're interested in, like magic, or divination, or work with nature and its spirits? Are you interested in any tradition that doesn't focus too strongly on deities (like revival druidry)? I would suggest reading very widely and seeing if other aspects of Pagan practice start to call to you. There doesn't always need to be a specific pantheon involved.

Also, focusing on other things may eventually lead you to a pantheon of deities (or to a specific 'hearth culture', as ADF puts it - like Celtic or Norse). That's how it worked for me - I was working with land spirits for a while before I found deities.

Some good Pagan books that aren't explicitly focused on deities:

- Kindling our Stars: Nurturing Bright And Dark Flames, a great book about the practical ethics of living a Pagan life.
- The Art of Conversation with the Genius Loci, which is about working with land spirits. (Lots of helpful practical exercises.)
- Trance-Portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World, which is about inner journeying - very good book.
- Faery Tale: One Woman's Search for Enchantment in the Modern World - not a specifically Pagan book, but a wonderful tale of following your own journey to find out what you believe. The writer goes on a quest to find the faeries. Literally. Also, it's beautifully written.
- Also, if you like that kind of 'personal journey' book, you might enjoy Wild: An Elemental Journey, the story of a man who takes seven years to explore the world and its elements as deeply as he can.
- Druidry and the Ancestors: Finding our Place in our own History - great book if you're interested in researching and working with not just ancestors, but also concepts from the past in general, whether religious or cultural. And its not just for people in the modern druidry tradition (though it does talk about that).

I'm sure more experienced people than me will have more book recommendations to offer, especially if you have specific interests.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Cali

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:00 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;100833
You may find that there are other ways to have direction in your spiritual beliefs, rather than focusing on deities. Are there other things that you're interested in, like magic, or divination, or work with nature and its spirits? Are you interested in any tradition that doesn't focus too strongly on deities (like revival druidry)? I would suggest reading very widely and seeing if other aspects of Pagan practice start to call to you. There doesn't always need to be a specific pantheon involved.

Also, focusing on other things may eventually lead you to a pantheon of deities (or to a specific 'hearth culture', as ADF puts it - like Celtic or Norse). That's how it worked for me - I was working with land spirits for a while before I found deities.

Some good Pagan books that aren't explicitly focused on deities:

- Kindling our Stars: Nurturing Bright And Dark Flames, a great book about the practical ethics of living a Pagan life.
- The Art of Conversation with the Genius Loci, which is about working with land spirits. (Lots of helpful practical exercises.)
- Trance-Portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World, which is about inner journeying - very good book.
- Faery Tale: One Woman's Search for Enchantment in the Modern World - not a specifically Pagan book, but a wonderful tale of following your own journey to find out what you believe. The writer goes on a quest to find the faeries. Literally. Also, it's beautifully written.
- Also, if you like that kind of 'personal journey' book, you might enjoy Wild: An Elemental Journey, the story of a man who takes seven years to explore the world and its elements as deeply as he can.
- Druidry and the Ancestors: Finding our Place in our own History - great book if you're interested in researching and working with not just ancestors, but also concepts from the past in general, whether religious or cultural. And its not just for people in the modern druidry tradition (though it does talk about that).

I'm sure more experienced people than me will have more book recommendations to offer, especially if you have specific interests.

Thank you for the book titles, much appreciated :). I am interested in Divination, mostly Runes and Ogham (Tarot has never appealed to me). I'm also a Reiki practitioner. I was wondering if you don't mind me asking, how do you honor your ancestors and land spirits? Do you do rituals or meditations to them?

Interestingly, I did look at the ADF as a possible organization to join at one point, however due to the fact that their rituals are so long and drawn out, it turned me off. I'm not interested in elaborate ritual, I prefer more personalized, simple rituals. Nor am I interested in reconstructionism.

SPhoenix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:53 am »
I felt somehow I had shamed my ancestors at not having a relationships with any of those gods and that I had done something wrong. So I took a break for a while and left my research alone for about 4 months or so.

I'm sorry that you felt that way. It is a shame that we instill so much guilt into our children in ways that don't make sense. It's not your shame there, it's shame on your ancestors for not supporting you in your own individual walk towards a connection to the Divine Source.

To be honest, I have a disagreement with your entire path, and I have to say that it's the reason why a lot of people end up as Christians or Muslims and later become disillusioned with these religions. I'll explain more, because this is not intended to make you feel bad, but more to hopefully help you make a more informed choice.

Many times, when people go to services at a church, they FEEL the energy created by the charisma of the preacher, or by the connection of the congregation with each other... or the energy of 'worship' itself.  They then translate this FEELING into the belief that, "I felt God in a Christian church, and thus Jesus IS God" (or substitute Islam or Judaism or Buddhism, etc.) and they stop looking. They then believe that this is the only right religion.

However, the fact is that much of what people FEEL is less about God and more "jiving with the energy" that has been created in these various places or around certain religions. Sometimes it can even be familiarity.

So please reconsider basing your choice upon feeling a response or feeling rejected by certain pantheons. Please forgive me if I get too woo-woo here, and remember; take what you like, and leave the rest: Some of what you are feeling may be more related to your past lives, or related to tapping into other people's current feelings on things. You strike me as a 'sensitive' and sometimes, the Gods and Goddesses that are willing to connect with us want us to move out of our comfort zone.

I recommend that you turn to using something besides your intuitive sense to find your pantheon, because you rely a little too heavily on your intuitive sense, perhaps. Maybe the Gods reaching out to you are trying to do it in a way that you have been rejecting, because they want you to understand that every part of you is intended to honor God/dess/es. If there are parts of you that you reject, sometimes the appropriate deity approaches you from that direction in order to enable you to trust every part of your being.

Quote from: Cali;100983
I am interested in Divination, mostly Runes and Ogham (Tarot has never appealed to me). I'm also a Reiki practitioner. I was wondering if you don't mind me asking, how do you honor your ancestors and land spirits? Do you do rituals or meditations to them?

Understanding that you are feeling very drawn towards practice, I wonder if you have yet strongly considered native New Zealand practices? Perhaps your ancestors aren't your blood ancestors, but rather the spirit of the very land in which you live. Perhaps this lifetime, you were drawn to the land you live in and the spirits that inhabit it, instead of being born to the family that held the bloodline you wanted to be in. Of course, that's just me, I hold an absolute certainty in reincarnation--your mileage may vary.

Well, I hope that helped and didn't make you feel bad. The first was my intent and if the second happened, please accept my sincere apology.

May the sun be always on your shoulders, and the wind always on your back.

:thup:

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »
I'm relatively new to paganism as a whole and for me, finding a pantheon for me to honor is turning out to be pretty difficult. First of all, I must say I am not interested in reconstructionism and never have been, I would definatley fit much more within the "Neo-pagan" or just on the general polytheist spectrum than anything else. Despite that, I've always held that my spirituality should have some sort of mono-cultural theme to it (all Germanic, all Greek etc.)

My heritage is Celtic (Irish and Welsh), Germanic (Dutch) and Slavic (Polish). I decided to look into all of my ancestral pantheons, spending months reading the myths, the ancient culture and history of the people and looking at individual gods and goddesses. However I never felt drawn to any of the gods of either the Welsh, Irish, German or Slavic pantheons. Whenever I read about any of them, I never felt a strong connection. So I tried reaching out to them have to see if they want a relationship with me. I got no answer. I felt somehow I had shamed my ancestors at not having a relationships with any of those gods and that I had done something wrong. So I took a break for a while and left my research alone for about 4 months or so.

After a while, I decided to take it up again and kept researching. This time, looking into the gods of Kemet. I had always had a fascination with Ancient Egypt, particularly the artwork however I struggled to get a pull from any of the deities or the pantheon in general, although I loved the culture. I had similar experiences with the Greek and Roman pantheons. From the very outset I had this feeling that the Greek gods definatley did not want anything to do with me (just call it a feeling), I think it had a lot to do with the mythology, it just didn't resonate with me at all. I love Italy and Italian culture but I had no connection to any of the Roman deities either, despite how much I researched. I looked into Hinduism and was met with similar results. I didn't feel like the gods wanted a bar of me. Recently, out of desperation, I even tried praying to my ancestors to show me the path and the gods that are right for me, however I'm not seeing signs.

Read some good solid books that talk about the pantheon that you might be interested in and I'm not talking about New Age books. That way you can understand how they were worshiped back then and get a better understanding of who these gods are.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:29 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;102859
Read some good solid books that talk about the pantheon that you might be interested in and I'm not talking about New Age books. That way you can understand how they were worshiped back then and get a better understanding of who these gods are.

I think in this situation, it would be difficult for the OP to use historical texts to make an in-depth study when he is still looking for a pantheon or an area to focus on. You can't study everything in depth, and the details of Roman sacrifices or the like aren't going to mean much to someone who's not invested in the research.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:52 pm »
Quote from: Jack;102863
I think in this situation, it would be difficult for the OP to use historical texts to make an in-depth study when he is still looking for a pantheon or an area to focus on. You can't study everything in depth, and the details of Roman sacrifices or the like aren't going to mean much to someone who's not invested in the research.

Well when he finds one then look it up. To me having a mythological foundation is just as important as the other things.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 07:05:31 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;102866
Well when he finds one then look it up. To me having a mythological foundation is just as important as the other things.

Yes, but unless you have something to put that foundation on - like, say, an area of interest or the attention of a deity - your castle's just going to sink into the swamp.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: