collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Horned/Antlered Goddesses?  (Read 4141 times)

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Horned/Antlered Goddesses?
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:31:37 pm »
Does anyone know of reliable sources of information about Goddesses with horns or antlers? Or names to make searching easier? Hathor is the most obvious one, with Her cow horns. I've also found mentions of Elen of the Ways having reindeer antlers.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Horned/Antlered Goddesses?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
Quote from: Emerald;100525
Does anyone know of reliable sources of information about Goddesses with horns or antlers? Or names to make searching easier? Hathor is the most obvious one, with Her cow horns. I've also found mentions of Elen of the Ways having reindeer antlers.

There's a book called Horns of Power: Manifestations of the Horned God that has a section on horned goddesses. Sometimes its free on Amazon if you want to wait and pick it up then. You might find it interesting.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »

The Burney Relief, which may depict Lilith/Lilitu, Lamashtu, Ereshkigal, or Inanna, depicts a goddess-figure with what is generally interpreted as a crown of four tiers of horns.  (It may represent a stylized ceremonial wig, in some interpretations.)  The horned crown/set of horns is depicted on both male and female deities in Sumerian iconography, as far as my research shows.

White Buffalo Woman also comes to mind.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:23 pm »

There are some places that have made mention of Flidais (sometimes spelled Fliodhas) as having antlers. In my experience, she never has, but worth looking into.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:26:31 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;100546
There are some places that have made mention of Flidais (sometimes spelled Fliodhas) as having antlers. In my experience, she never has, but worth looking into.

Some images, modern of course, do have her with deer antlers - but I think it's more because of her association with wild beasts and the rumor that her chariot is pulled by stags.

In my workings with her I don't get that image, but to each their own

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:03 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;100526
There's a book called Horns of Power: Manifestations of the Horned God that has a section on horned goddesses. Sometimes its free on Amazon if you want to wait and pick it up then. You might find it interesting.

Thank you Lokabrenna. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 05:47:03 am »
Quote from: Valentine;100534
The Burney Relief, which may depict Lilith/Lilitu, Lamashtu, Ereshkigal, or Inanna, depicts a goddess-figure with what is generally interpreted as a crown of four tiers of horns.

I found a picture of it. Have never seen anything like that one before. Thank you.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:13:09 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;100712
Some images, modern of course, do have her with deer antlers - but I think it's more because of her association with wild beasts and the rumor that her chariot is pulled by stags.

There are a number of horned goddess carvings from Gaul and Britain, I think the details are in one of Miranda Green's books.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:40:56 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;100819
There are a number of horned goddess carvings from Gaul and Britain, I think the details are in one of Miranda Green's books.

Ah yes, but Flidais is Irish - no Irish carvings of a horned goddess that I know of

RabbitInTheMoon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »

When I first started working with Artemis, she appeared to me as a woman with long flowing hair and deer antlers. I know that the stag is one of her sacred animals.
"Apollo\'s frock was always as beautiful as the saddest rainstorm."

"Rabbit, where\'d you put the keys, girl?"

Mooneagle

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 09:49:37 am »

Hi. With regard to Elen of the Ways, she appears in the Welsh mythical/ historical work - 'The Mabinogion'. There are also three excellent books available on her: 'Elen of the Ways' and 'Following the Deer Trods' - both in the 'Shaman Pathways' series, and 'Finding Elen: The Quest for Elen of the Ways' - a quite comprehensive volume edited by Caroline Wise. Hope this helps.

Hearth Keeper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://witchfire02.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 01:58:38 pm »
Quote from: RabbitInTheMoon;102372
When I first started working with Artemis, she appeared to me as a woman with long flowing hair and deer antlers. I know that the stag is one of her sacred animals.

She often appeared to me antlered as well.
~)O(~

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 01:58:20 am »

In my spiritual-religious system, the archdemon goddess Lilith/ Ereškigal is often imagined or depicted with gazelle-like horns.  In my spiritual religious system... Ereškigal, as well as her sister Ištar/ Aštoreth, is often imagined or portrayed with or without draconic attributes, including horns.

I am the primary Source of my spiritual-religious practices, though I have often been inspired by Jewish concepts of Lilith (among other things) and ancient Mesopotamian concepts of Ištar and Ereškigal (among other things).  They have been... reimagined, in my spiritual-religious system, albeit with many of their former attributes, and some new ones.
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Tags: