Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories A prohesy: the internet, will it stay “free” forever?  (Read 5438 times)

pantodragon

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
A prohesy: the internet, will it stay “free” forever?
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
One of the selling points of the internet is that it is “free” and, furthermore, the truth of this is a generally held belief.  (This is not actually the case; internet costs are there, but they are hidden and difficult to trace.  However, for the purposes of this post, let’s take the general view that the internet is, to all intents and purposes, free.) 

I am going to make a prophesy:  the internet will not be “free” for much longer i.e. users will be charged for using it.

How do I arrive at this conclusion?  By experience.

Some readers will remember the time when one dealt with one’s insurance companies, utility companies etc, by snail mail.  When business decided it wanted customers to abandon snail mail for contact by telephone, among other encouragements provided was free contact telephone numbers (0800 numbers in the UK).  As business habituated us to using the telephone, it set about removing any avenue of retreat for customers reluctant to use the phone and once this had been achieved, it introduced customer telephone charges.  Now, not only does one pay for a once “free” telephone service, but when one contacts a utility or insurance company the call has been considerably lengthened by the inclusion of company advertising and the automation of operator services etc – all at additional cost to you.

So, that’s how business works.   When it decides to change customer habits it first offers a “free” alternative.  As customers increasingly make use of use this new, “free” alternative, business gradually removes any avenue of retreat.  Once the new practice is firmly established, business then slaps on hefty charges which the customer is then forced to pay.

This is exactly what is happening with the internet at the moment.  Business is currently going about forcing customers to use the internet, so it persuades us by offering a “free”, “more convenient” alternative to the phone etc.   Now it is becoming increasingly difficult to use anything but the internet i.e. avenues of retreat are gradually being removed.  It will not be long, therefore, before we are paying up-front charges to use the internet.

Oh, and while I’m about it, another internet prophesy….

Another selling point for the internet is that it brings down barriers.  For example, people can publish their writing, music etc for free i.e. without having to go through a publisher.  And, indeed, some people have attracted the attention of publishers/agents and forged successful careers for themselves by self-publishing on sites such as YouTube.  What people fail to realise, however, is that this is a trap.  It will not be long before publishers will not touch an author BEFORE they have become a success on the internet.  That way the risk to the publisher is reduced to a minimum and, moreover, most of the publisher’s work is passed on to the author.  So, less work for the publisher, fewer risks, and more profits.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:08:52 am by SunflowerP »

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: A prohesy: the internet, will it stay “free” forever?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:25:04 am »
Quote from: pantodragon;99177

I am going to make a prophesy:  the internet will not be “free” for much longer i.e. users will be charged for using it.

That's really utterly bizarre and fascinating for you to bring up, because I'm pretty sure my family's been paying an Internet bill since there was an Internet to pay for. Ah, fond memories of only having one hour of dial-up connect allocated every day back in 1998...
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:15:49 pm »
Quote from: Sage;99182
That's really utterly bizarre and fascinating for you to bring up, because I'm pretty sure my family's been paying an Internet bill since there was an Internet to pay for. Ah, fond memories of only having one hour of dial-up connect allocated every day back in 1998...

I almost made modem squealing my ringtone on my new smartphone (my very first, so I was trying to celebrate).  But then I realized I'd actually annoy me as much as everyone else.

Brina

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:59 pm »

I remember! Log on, download usenet headers, log off, decide which ones to mark for download, log back on, download, log back off, read and reply, log back on to send replies. Good times!

At least I no longer get surprised by AOL bills for a couple hundred dollars because of a software bug that keeps it from disconnecting properly...
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »
Quote from: Jack;99223
I remember! Log on, download usenet headers, log off, decide which ones to mark for download, log back on, download, log back off, read and reply, log back on to send replies. Good times!

At least I no longer get surprised by AOL bills for a couple hundred dollars because of a software bug that keeps it from disconnecting properly...

...there are still AOL bills? What, is there Netscape too?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:26:57 pm »
Quote from: Sage;99230
...there are still AOL bills? What, is there Netscape too?

I said I no longer get surprised by them. :P
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:36:29 pm »
Quote from: Jack;99223

I just got a notice asking me if I wanted to re-up my usenet subscription.

It's kind of heartbreaking that I don't think it's worth my time.  I invested a lot in usenet once upon a time, before the Chicago school of economics destroyed my writers' hangout and I lost heart.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

Indeed, why just last month my wife and I had a weee little communication breakdown on which one of us had actually paid the internet bill. Turns out if no-one does, the internet magically disappears from your computer.....

(in an odd twist, we pay all of our bills online, so we had to call our provider and they turned it back on so we could pay for it)
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:33 pm »
That's really utterly bizarre and fascinating for you to bring up, because I'm pretty sure my family's been paying an Internet bill since there was an Internet to pay for.

Same here. We're currently paying $52.98 a month for Internet service (30 Mbps down/3 Mbps up). We were paying $44.45 a month for 6 Mbps down/0.5 Mbps up because we were on an ancient plan and had never upgraded. Huge speed increase for $9 a month more.  Plus almost 9% sales tax in all cases.  To be honest, we finally looked into upgrading only because Lyric needed more upload speed to upload pictures for the volunteer dog/cat rescue stuff she does.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »

Exactly! I know we've been paying for the Internet since the mid 90's.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 05:24:01 pm »
Quote from: pantodragon;99177

How do I arrive at this conclusion?  By experience.

Ssssoooo...you observed the world around you, formed a hypothesis, tested that hypothesis by looking at the evidence in an orderly fashion, and then came to a conclusion, you're saying?  And that makes the information you subsequently offer more trustworthy?  What do you call this--for lack of a better word--method?  I feel like it has potential.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 05:53:57 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;99315
Ssssoooo...you observed the world around you, formed a hypothesis, tested that hypothesis by looking at the evidence in an orderly fashion, and then came to a conclusion, you're saying?  And that makes the information you subsequently offer more trustworthy?  What do you call this--for lack of a better word--method?  I feel like it has potential.

I think you might be onto something here!
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:01:35 pm »

What? You pay for the internet?  I don't, I lug my computer down to the library or Starbucks.  Oh, you mean they have to pay for the internet so I can use it?  Bummer.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 09:07:35 pm »

Yep. I pay $40 a month for home internet, plus $60 extra per month for the two smartphones on my account so that my sister and I can have internet on our phones. That's not MY idea of free, though if our friend the troll thinks differently, she's more than welcome to Paypal the money to me...after all, it's free!
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: