Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Alternative/Revisionist Histories The descent of man?  (Read 6647 times)

pantodragon

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
The descent of man?
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:08:35 am »
The move from hunter-gatherer to farmer is considered to be a major mile-stone in the advancement of human civilisation.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

The truth is that humans turned from hunting and gathering to farming because farming was a means of exerting control over their environment.  So, far from indicating progress, the development of farming is one of the early signs that humans had become addicted to power.  (One manifestation of this addiction is that human society is extremely competitive.)

If one picks up this thread i.e. addiction to power, one can follow its development in farming from the earliest farming practices to the present day.  So, to get their power fix, humans exercised more and more control of the environment; this exercise of power manifesting itself today in environmentalism (e.g. “managing” wilderness areas) and genetics (e.g. GM crops). 

In reality, the development of farming is actually an indicator of the degenration of human society.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:29:52 am by SunflowerP »

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The descent of man?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:01:36 pm »
Quote from: pantodragon;99176
The move from hunter-gatherer to farmer is considered to be a major mile-stone in the advancement of human civilisation.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

The truth is that humans turned from hunting and gathering to farming because farming was a means of exerting control over their environment.  So, far from indicating progress, the development of farming is one of the early signs that humans had become addicted to power.  (One manifestation of this addiction is that human society is extremely competitive.)

If one picks up this thread i.e. addiction to power, one can follow its development in farming from the earliest farming practices to the present day.  So, to get their power fix, humans exercised more and more control of the environment; this exercise of power manifesting itself today in environmentalism (e.g. “managing” wilderness areas) and genetics (e.g. GM crops).  

In reality, the development of farming is actually an indicator of the degenration of human society.

Absolutely! I work on a farm and every season, at the beginning of the season, my boss calls a meeting of all the supervisors and we discuss how we can more effectively control the environment and how we can increase our power over both the planet and the serfs that slave away under our strict and all seeing gaze.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:59 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;99229
Absolutely! I work on a farm and every season, at the beginning of the season, my boss calls a meeting of all the supervisors and we discuss how we can more effectively control the environment and how we can increase our power over both the planet and the serfs that slave away under our strict and all seeing gaze.

Do you prefer using human or non-human animal labor? Which is easier to write off come tax season?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »
Quote from: Sage;99231
Do you prefer using human or non-human animal labor? Which is easier to write off come tax season?

Human labour. Because it is the easiest to discard and replace. Animals and machinery require more care and are much more expensive to maintain. ( actually as opposed to everything else I posted - I am not joking about that. We are pretty sure that the tractors mean more to our boss than we do)
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

CaveMan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:59:13 pm »
The move from hunter-gatherer to farmer is considered to be a major mile-stone in the advancement of human civilisation.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

The truth is that humans turned from hunting and gathering to farming because farming was a means of exerting control over their environment.  So, far from indicating progress, the development of farming is one of the early signs that humans had become addicted to power.  (One manifestation of this addiction is that human society is extremely competitive.)

If one picks up this thread i.e. addiction to power, one can follow its development in farming from the earliest farming practices to the present day.  So, to get their power fix, humans exercised more and more control of the environment; this exercise of power manifesting itself today in environmentalism (e.g. “managing” wilderness areas) and genetics (e.g. GM crops).  

i think Felicitas D, Goodmans books give a very good example of how the mind set changed between the hunter-gatherer and the farming societies. in those times its apparent by the way they lived that they saw the world of dreams as being just as real as the physical world, what this actually means is that the people of that time could more readily explore that other reality than we can now. whats changed in us from then to now, (imo) is that now we dont see the seperation between ego and ourselves, in those times it was common knowledge that a person had more than one soul.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »

Dude, farming isn't about CONTROL.

it's about BEER!!!!!!

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »

Yeah because farming is the reason we were able to create many things. There would be no poetry, philosophy, science without the invention of farming. As a person who has a degree in agriculture I find it very disrespectful to say farming is the downfall of man. There's a lot of people who would not have survived with out farming or agriculture.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:29:33 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:06:57 pm »

Back in time, before agriculture, humans were nomadic and lived in small tribes. They moved around and the tribe had to be small to be mobile, otherwise there was a struggle to forage and hunt enough food for the group.
With the advent of agriculture, Humans were able to settle, grow and maintain a food source, allowing the tribal groups to grow in size. Once agriculture was established, villages, towns and cities could develop.

So, without agriculture, Humanity would be a lot less populous than it is now, and there would be a good chance that, as a species, we would have become extinct.

Technically, without agriculture, there would be no internet, and nowhere for you to post these power conspiracies.

Dan

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:23:03 pm »

And yet you're still here, instead of in a cabin in the woods, which would seem a bit hypocritical if I didn't think you were just saying words to get attention.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:18:21 pm »

Dude you rock. Your posts have kept me entertained for hours... well not really your posts because I am not actually bothering to read them, it's the responses to them that have been keeping me entertained.

Dark Waters

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »
Quote from: Shadow;99438
Dude you rock. Your posts have kept me entertained for hours... well not really your posts because I am not actually bothering to read them, it's the responses to them that have been keeping me entertained.

The funny thing is that the greater the response to the trolling original posts, the more her experience/status level grows. Sure it's only 0.3 per post, but all the outlandish topics spawn multiple pages of posts.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:39:32 pm by Dark Waters »
I\'m living in the Shadows and the Night, wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon\'s fragile light, it frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:51:34 pm »
Quote from: Dark Waters;99531
The funny thing is that the greater the response to the trolling original posts, the more her experience/status level grows. Sure it's only 0.3 per post, but all the outlandish topics spawn multiple pages of posts.

It's not funny.  But it is familiar.

Brina

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:59:34 pm »
Quote from: Dark Waters;99531

That doesn't worry me any.  There are, after all, many other things that influence exp/status, some of them much more strongly (such as reputation, or friends).

And it's not like exp/status is any sort of big deal in board culture.  It's a thing that came with VBulletin, not something instituted by hosts/staff.  Some people find it fun to watch some of the categories, but many others don't bother with them at all.  From what I can tell, the thing that's taken most "seriously" is arcade high scores, among those who play the arcade games.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 11:19:18 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;99548
From what I can tell, the thing that's taken most "seriously" is arcade high scores, among those who play the arcade games.

Sunflower

**glares at Dark Waters**

Yes, yes indeed.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Dark Waters

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:10 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;99548
That doesn't worry me any.  There are, after all, many other things that influence exp/status, some of them much more strongly (such as reputation, or friends).

And it's not like exp/status is any sort of big deal in board culture.  It's a thing that came with VBulletin, not something instituted by hosts/staff.  Some people find it fun to watch some of the categories, but many others don't bother with them at all.  From what I can tell, the thing that's taken most "seriously" is arcade high scores, among those who play the arcade games.

Sunflower

I just was thinking about it since I had recently got the notification for crossing the 500 xp threshold.

Quote from: Fireof9;99557
**glares at Dark Waters**

Yes, yes indeed.

:whis:
I\'m living in the Shadows and the Night, wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon\'s fragile light, it frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Tags: