Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pseudoscience Can science find a cure for autism?  (Read 9835 times)

pantodragon

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Can science find a cure for autism?
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:06:55 am »
I heard a psychologist on the radio today.  She has won great acclaim and many awards for her discovery that autism is a genetic disorder.  With the supreme confidence of some one who knows much but understands nothing, she told listeners that any cure for autism, if it is possible at all, is a long, long, long way off.  She also informed listeners that her discovery that autism is a genetic disorder was a great relief to her, for it meant that parents need no longer blame themselves or their parenting skills as the source of their autistic child’s affliction.

Actually, there is a cure for autism.  I have cured autism.  My discovery of a cure for autism was a by-product of going BEYOND science in my attempt to develop an understanding of the nature of existence.

So, while identifying autism as a genetic condition relieves parents of responsibility for the disease in the first place, they could do something about it nonetheless.  Their bad behaviour may not cause the condition, but it does maintain it.  And further, if parents sorted themselves out, if they behaved well, they could actually help their children, they could actually cure them.  So, children may be born with autism, but none of them need grow up autistic.

Of course, this scientist, in common with all other scientists, talks with a confidence proportional to her LACK of understanding, and gets arse-licked for her troubles, whereas individuals like pantodragon, whose confidence IS in proportion to her understanding, and based on practical results, is made a target of every Tom, Dick and Harry who has not the wit to distinguish between real gold and fool’s gold.  And that’s just about everyone in every forum I’ve ever visited - and elsewhere besides.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:20:04 am by SunflowerP »

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Can science find a cure for autism?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:49:33 pm »
Quote from: pantodragon;99175
I heard a psychologist on the radio today.  She has won great acclaim and many awards for her discovery that autism is a genetic disorder.  With the supreme confidence of some one who knows much but understands nothing, she told listeners that any cure for autism, if it is possible at all, is a long, long, long way off.  She also informed listeners that her discovery that autism is a genetic disorder was a great relief to her, for it meant that parents need no longer blame themselves or their parenting skills as the source of their autistic child’s affliction.

Actually, there is a cure for autism.  I have cured autism.  My discovery of a cure for autism was a by-product of going BEYOND science in my attempt to develop an understanding of the nature of existence.

So, while identifying autism as a genetic condition relieves parents of responsibility for the disease in the first place, they could do something about it nonetheless.  Their bad behaviour may not cause the condition, but it does maintain it.  And further, if parents sorted themselves out, if they behaved well, they could actually help their children, they could actually cure them.  So, children may be born with autism, but none of them need grow up autistic.

Of course, this scientist, in common with all other scientists, talks with a confidence proportional to her LACK of understanding, and gets arse-licked for her troubles, whereas individuals like pantodragon, whose confidence IS in proportion to her understanding, and based on practical results, is made a target of every Tom, Dick and Harry who has not the wit to distinguish between real gold and fool’s gold.  And that’s just about everyone in every forum I’ve ever visited - and elsewhere besides.

Ah, parent-blaming. A classic. (When are you getting to the mother-in-law jokes?)

Please do tell all about this magical cure. I can't wait to learn the secret that will fix everything, that no doctor, psychologist, educator or advisor has ever had an inkling about. (You know, the people with all the experience.)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:21 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;99222
Ah, parent-blaming. A classic. (When are you getting to the mother-in-law jokes?)

Please do tell all about this magical cure. I can't wait to learn the secret that will fix everything, that no doctor, psychologist, educator or advisor has ever had an inkling about. (You know, the people with all the experience.)

Yes, please, don't start playing coy with us now! Continue sharing your great wisdom.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:50 pm »
Actually, there is a cure for autism.  I have cured autism.  My discovery of a cure for autism was a by-product of going BEYOND science in my attempt to develop an understanding of the nature of existence.

...not to mention talking to people who, y'know, are on the spectrum themselves. (We're people, not points-scoring opportunities.)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:59:48 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;99225
...not to mention talking to people who, y'know, are on the spectrum themselves. (We're people, not points-scoring opportunities.)

No, no, didn't you read the games thread? She doesn't believe in scoring points, scoring points is for sheeple.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:11:01 pm »
for it meant that parents need no longer blame themselves or their parenting skills as the source of their autistic child’s affliction.

Whoa, hold up there a second!!

My wife and I were supposed to be blaming ourselves? Man, someone should have told us that 18 years ago when our oldest daughter was diagnosed at age 3. See we were told she would never talk, she would never be able to get past a grade 3 education......... But instead of blaming ourselves, or her, we worked with her and refused to look at it as a disability but more as a gift. The day she graduated high school with a full diploma was one of the proudest days of our lives.
We have two other children on the spectrum as well.

I have felt so incredibly blessed to be the father of all of them. They have all had insights that I don't think a non spectrum person could have, and those insights have enriched my life.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:20:04 pm »

Waitwaitwait.

You know the TRUTH and can cure this and all you're doing is being smug on message boards?

You could be rich beyond dreams of avarice and a miracle worker beyond compare and all you want to do is get treated like a troll on message boards?

Dude.  Priorities - get some.  Or stop talking out your ass before someone corks it with a baseball bat.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:25:59 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;99239
 Or stop talking out your ass before someone corks it with a baseball bat.

***waves hand frantically***

Pick me, pick me!!!
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;99240

Pick me, pick me!!!

Here, take one of these.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:40:18 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;99240

Pick me, pick me!!!

Shhhh, as long as we don't name names we're all innocent ....

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;99245
Here, take one of these.

Oh I will take the last one on the right, and in an act of kindness I will use some kind of lube.......... I am thinking maybe that liquid heat stuff for sore muscles......
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;99246
Shhhh, as long as we don't name names we're all innocent ....

I'm Canadian, I'll just say sorry and everyone will just focus on how polite Canadians are ;)
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 03:14:08 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;99249
I'm Canadian, I'll just say sorry and everyone will just focus on how polite Canadians are ;)

I'll just start talking nothing but Finnish, in dialect to boot: Nuija? Haukuksää mua? Kyl on törkeet menoo teil, tollee ruvetaan haukkuu nuijiks viattomii ummikoi! Ikin en ois tän tullu, jos oisin tiänny et meno on tällast.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »

Wow! That's great -- if true. Please provide more information and verifiable evidence to back your claim to have cured autism. There are so many quacks cllaiming cures for cancer, autism, HIV, etc. that I've learned to only trusted verifiable evidence, not unprooved claims on message boards.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 03:17:49 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;99269
I'll just start talking nothing but Finnish, in dialect to boot

Appatrently Google translate doesn't handle Finnish dialects well. This is what it came up with: "Dumb? Haukuksää me? Kyl is törkeet menoo teil, tollee it comes to barking nuijiks of innocent ummikoi! Ikin I'd record field tullu, if I were you tiänny expenditure is tällast."

Wasn't that exciting?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: