Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: ADF-specific question re: nature of deity  (Read 3163 times)

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
ADF-specific question re: nature of deity
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:24:28 pm »
Does one have to be polytheistic to join ADF? I am interested in everything I've read about Druidry and ADF, but this keeps bugging me:

We believe in a multiplicity of gods and goddesses, as well as lesser beings, many of Whom are worthy of respect, love and worship. We have a wide variety of nonexclusive concepts as to the nature of these entities. While some of us believe in a "Supreme Being," Neopagan Druidism is emphatically polytheistic. We have no figure of ultimate Evil.

That is from ADF site FAQ.

I'm teetering between monotheism/pantheism. I go back and forth between the two but lean a bit more towards pantheism at the moment. I have an open mind so things can change in the future.

Should this be a problem for me?

Thanks.
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: ADF-specific question re: nature of deity
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;7491
Does one have to be polytheistic to join ADF? I am interested in everything I've read about Druidry and ADF, but this keeps bugging me:

I'm teetering between monotheism/pantheism. I go back and forth between the two but lean a bit more towards pantheism at the moment. I have an open mind so things can change in the future.

Thanks.

To join? No. They aren't going to ask you before they cash the check.

Wether you'll get much out of it is a seperate question. Unless things have radically changed, many of the discussion lists won't have much for you.  No different than if you joined a Christian message board.  I doubt they'd be hostile, but they won't be talking much about monotheism.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:08 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;7491

Thanks.

I don't think so either.  They're not going to kick you out, but keep in mind you are asked to honor the Three Kindreds: The Shining Ones, The Ancient Ones, and the Mighty Ones.  So, at the very least, if you don't wish to honor more than one God or view God in a different way, you will need to work that out between you and the ADF requirements (if you are on the DP).

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:58:41 pm »
Quote from: sailor;7525
To join? No. They aren't going to ask you before they cash the check.

Wether you'll get much out of it is a seperate question. Unless things have radically changed, many of the discussion lists won't have much for you.  No different than if you joined a Christian message board.  I doubt they'd be hostile, but they won't be talking much about monotheism.

If you can sincerely honor the Kindreds it probably won't be a problem. I'm not sure how it would impact DP work but you won't be thrown out. You may butt heads with some folks over it but IIRC there are pantheistic members.

It's important to remember that ADF is an actual religion unlike OBOD or other organizations that are more broad or styled more as lodges and thus more flexible.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:35:11 am »
Quote from: Asch;9802
If you can sincerely honor the Kindreds it probably won't be a problem. I'm not sure how it would impact DP work but you won't be thrown out. You may butt heads with some folks over it but IIRC there are pantheistic members.

It's important to remember that ADF is an actual religion unlike OBOD or other organizations that are more broad or styled more as lodges and thus more flexible.

Basically, as long as you don't go about telling others that they're 'doing it wrong' and really they're monists/pantheists/whatever else but somehow 'don't realize it' you'll be fine. I actually watched someone try to pull that on one of the lists. Pretty amusing.

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:05:20 pm »
Quote from: Asch;9829
Basically, as long as you don't go about telling others that they're 'doing it wrong' and really they're monists/pantheists/whatever else but somehow 'don't realize it' you'll be fine. I actually watched someone try to pull that on one of the lists. Pretty amusing.

I've seen people do that too, and it usually strikes me as very silly. Not least because half the time they've just finished saying something like, "I hate when monotheists tell me that I'm not a polytheist at all but secretly just a confused monotheist.... when actually they are not really monotheists but just confused polytheists!" I was raised Catholic, so I got to hear this accusation of "Catholics aren't monotheists" all the time from Protestants before I had the joy of seeing the exact same argument repeated by Pagans. Every time I hear a Pagan saying Catholics aren't really monotheists, I want to be like, "Um, dude, yes they are. Trust me."

The right to self-definition is so essential. You can learn a lot from people just by listening to what kinds of names they give themselves.

--Ali

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:03 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;11521
I've seen people do that too, and it usually strikes me as very silly. Not least because half the time they've just finished saying something like, "I hate when monotheists tell me that I'm not a polytheist at all but secretly just a confused monotheist.... when actually they are not really monotheists but just confused polytheists!" I was raised Catholic, so I got to hear this accusation of "Catholics aren't monotheists" all the time from Protestants before I had the joy of seeing the exact same argument repeated by Pagans. Every time I hear a Pagan saying Catholics aren't really monotheists, I want to be like, "Um, dude, yes they are. Trust me."

The right to self-definition is so essential. You can learn a lot from people just by listening to what kinds of names they give themselves.

--Ali

Yeah, it's certainly an important thing to take in hand when evaluating and communicating with another person.

This instance was actually the only time where I've seen an ADF list-mod step in and suggest a change of topic. Everything prior to that had been extremely civil but it was increasingly apparent that the one party insisting we were all sekrit!monists! and just didn't realize it :whis: was not going to let the matter drop, didn't have much of an argument to refute participants counterarguments, and basically further discussion would've been repetitive for all involved.

Elizabeth, have you found a group yet? Just curious :D

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »
Quote from: Asch;20523
Elizabeth, have you found a group yet? Just curious :D

No, I haven't formally joined a group. Still looking at my options. Thanks for checking in :)
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Tags: