troll maiden is on a distinguished road troll maiden's Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Feb 2017 @ 04:11 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    N/A

What is Hoodoo?

I've come across this term before but I've never been 100% on what it really means. I'm really curious to know more about it. Not necessarily as a potential practitioner but as someone who's interested in different types of magic.

Sorry if this question has been posted before. ^^;

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: What is Hoodoo?

Quote Originally Posted by troll maiden View Post
    I've come across this term before but I've never been 100% on what it really means. I'm really curious to know more about it. Not necessarily as a potential practitioner but as someone who's interested in different types of magic.
    You can find more than you probably ever wanted to know about Hoodoo here: HOODOO IN THEORY AND PRACTICE: An Introduction to African-American Rootwork by Cat Yronwode.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

To give a little more context to the link Randall gave you - hoodoo is a folk magic practice that grew out of the intersection of African slave culture and the Southern United States, with influences from a bunch of other places given time.

A lot of the ingredients are things that could be readily gotten in a Southern US agricultural setting, and a lot of the magic deals with very pragmatic concerns: money, health, protection.

Most commonly, you'd have rootworkers in various communities who'd make oils, washes, powders, and various other things (and that's where the site Randall linked to will help) and sell them.
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    ccam is on a distinguished road ccam's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Apr 2013 @ 02:40 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    gjf,j

Quote Originally Posted by Jenett View Post
    To give a little more context to the link Randall gave you - hoodoo is a folk magic practice that grew out of the intersection of African slave culture and the Southern United States, with influences from a bunch of other places given time.

A lot of the ingredients are things that could be readily gotten in a Southern US agricultural setting, and a lot of the magic deals with very pragmatic concerns: money, health, protection.

Most commonly, you'd have rootworkers in various communities who'd make oils, washes, powders, and various other things (and that's where the site Randall linked to will help) and sell them.
    I agree. I'd also like to add that it's heavily influenced by Protestant Christianity and Catholicism to a lesser extent (i.e. using the Psalms and Catholic prayers in a working).

Journeyman Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    troll maiden is on a distinguished road troll maiden's Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Feb 2017 @ 04:11 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    N/A

Thank you for the info! It's really helped me to clear up what it actually is. When I get a free moment I'll definitely have a look through the link RandallS posted.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by SunflowerP; 25 Feb 2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: fixing quote code

Master Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    English Dissenter

Sorry if this question has been posted before. ^^;
    Here's one man's personal take on Hoodoo. It goes into the history to an extent, but also a lot of it is about his personal practise.

http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/ess_hoodoo.html
    Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Modern British druidry, Gaelic polytheism, dedicant of Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian, Unitarian-ish
    Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    You can find more than you probably ever wanted to know about Hoodoo here: HOODOO IN THEORY AND PRACTICE: An Introduction to African-American Rootwork by Cat Yronwode.
    Cat Yronwode is fantastic. Anyone who's interested in hoodoo might find 'The Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwook Hour', which she hosts, a good introduction. It's archived in the iTunes podcasts area.
    “Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” – Rumi

Stone Onto Sand

Senior Newbie Loona Wynd is an unknown quantity at this point Loona Wynd's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Feb 2014 @ 07:19 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch

Quote Originally Posted by ccam View Post
    I agree. I'd also like to add that it's heavily influenced by Protestant Christianity and Catholicism to a lesser extent (i.e. using the Psalms and Catholic prayers in a working).
    This is very much true. In some places the spirits of the African tribes became associated with the saints and angelic forces in other Christian paths. It was easier in the areas of the south where the Christian religions were mostly Catholic due to the saints and angels. There are also several different styles and traditions of working Hoodoo.

Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Izzie414 is on a distinguished road Izzie414's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Mar 2017 @ 05:42 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Non-Wiccan Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

Quote Originally Posted by Loona Wynd View Post
    This is very much true. In some places the spirits of the African tribes became associated with the saints and angelic forces in other Christian paths. It was easier in the areas of the south where the Christian religions were mostly Catholic due to the saints and angels. There are also several different styles and traditions of working Hoodoo.
    Where can I find more information on the styles & tradition of Hoodoo? I work with Egyptian gods and The Morrigan, but I still feel drawn to study African folk religions/practices.

+ Reply to Thread