Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What is Hoodoo?  (Read 2137 times)

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What is Hoodoo?
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:43:04 pm »
I've come across this term before but I've never been 100% on what it really means. I'm really curious to know more about it. Not necessarily as a potential practitioner but as someone who's interested in different types of magic. :)

Sorry if this question has been posted before. ^^;

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: What is Hoodoo?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:57:14 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;96959
I've come across this term before but I've never been 100% on what it really means. I'm really curious to know more about it. Not necessarily as a potential practitioner but as someone who's interested in different types of magic. :)

You can find more than you probably ever wanted to know about Hoodoo here: HOODOO IN THEORY AND PRACTICE: An Introduction to African-American Rootwork by Cat Yronwode.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »
I've come across this term before but I've never been 100% on what it really means. I'm really curious to know more about it. Not necessarily as a potential practitioner but as someone who's interested in different types of magic.

To give a little more context to the link Randall gave you - hoodoo is a folk magic practice that grew out of the intersection of African slave culture and the Southern United States, with influences from a bunch of other places given time.

A lot of the ingredients are things that could be readily gotten in a Southern US agricultural setting, and a lot of the magic deals with very pragmatic concerns: money, health, protection.

Most commonly, you'd have rootworkers in various communities who'd make oils, washes, powders, and various other things (and that's where the site Randall linked to will help) and sell them.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ccam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:11:57 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;96987
To give a little more context to the link Randall gave you - hoodoo is a folk magic practice that grew out of the intersection of African slave culture and the Southern United States, with influences from a bunch of other places given time.

A lot of the ingredients are things that could be readily gotten in a Southern US agricultural setting, and a lot of the magic deals with very pragmatic concerns: money, health, protection.

Most commonly, you'd have rootworkers in various communities who'd make oils, washes, powders, and various other things (and that's where the site Randall linked to will help) and sell them.

I agree.  I'd also like to add that it's heavily influenced by Protestant Christianity and Catholicism to a lesser extent (i.e. using the Psalms and Catholic prayers in a working).

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:40 am »

Thank you for the info! It's really helped me to clear up what it actually is. :) When I get a free moment I'll definitely have a look through the link RandallS posted.

Thanks again! :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:45:06 am by SunflowerP »

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47:58 am »

Sorry if this question has been posted before. ^^;

Here's one man's personal take on Hoodoo.  It goes into the history to an extent, but also a lot of it is about his personal practise.

http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/ess_hoodoo.html
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:52 am »
Quote from: RandallS;96983
You can find more than you probably ever wanted to know about Hoodoo here: HOODOO IN THEORY AND PRACTICE: An Introduction to African-American Rootwork by Cat Yronwode.

Cat Yronwode is fantastic. Anyone who's interested in hoodoo might find 'The Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwook Hour', which she hosts, a good introduction. It's archived in the iTunes podcasts area.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Loona Wynd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 07:11:19 pm »
Quote from: ccam;97592
I agree.  I'd also like to add that it's heavily influenced by Protestant Christianity and Catholicism to a lesser extent (i.e. using the Psalms and Catholic prayers in a working).

This is very much true.  In some places the spirits of the African tribes became associated with the saints and angelic forces in other Christian paths.  It was easier in the areas of the south where the Christian religions were mostly Catholic due to the saints and angels.  There are also several different styles and traditions of working Hoodoo.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:59:14 am »
Quote from: Loona Wynd;141046
This is very much true.  In some places the spirits of the African tribes became associated with the saints and angelic forces in other Christian paths.  It was easier in the areas of the south where the Christian religions were mostly Catholic due to the saints and angels.  There are also several different styles and traditions of working Hoodoo.

Where can I find more information on the styles & tradition of Hoodoo? I work with Egyptian gods and The Morrigan, but I still feel drawn to study African folk religions/practices.

Tags: