19 Mar 2017 @ 05:33 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him

Choosing a Name

I've recently entered Wicca and have found myself lacking a Wiccan name. I would like to find/make one that has meaning and resonates with me, but I'm not sure where to look to research meanings. Could anyone help?

Thanks!

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Queen of Wands is on a distinguished road Queen of Wands's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Apr 2016 @ 08:55 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    taoist witch

Re: Choosing a Name

Quote Originally Posted by Five More Years View Post
    I've recently entered Wicca and have found myself lacking a Wiccan name. I would like to find/make one that has meaning and resonates with me, but I'm not sure where to look to research meanings. Could anyone help?

Thanks!

for "names", I like Nameberry. That's a good site (it's geared towards the expecting parents to be, but it's still the best name source I've found).

Also, just to say it, being Wiccan (or any other religion) doesn't require a name. If you feel you want one, there's no reason why you shouldn't have one. And if a name comes to you, then there's no reason not to take it.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Sep 2016 @ 03:19 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Gwyddon

Quote Originally Posted by Five More Years View Post

Thanks!
    I have never understood the craftname thing. We have it in our tradition as well and I still don't get the importance of it.
    Really? So, hey, want to go fishing? I've got a telescope, and it's going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
    ...what, I'm not talking about fishing? That's stargazing? It's all doing-stuff, so it's the same thing, right?
    -HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
    The Gwyddonic Order

1000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Chopper Challenge Champion Shine is on a distinguished road Shine's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Apr 2013 @ 12:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic at heart + assortment

Quote Originally Posted by Fireof9 View Post
    I have never understood the craftname thing. We have it in our tradition as well and I still don't get the importance of it.
    I've always thought it as a sort of rite of passage, one of the first things you do when you enter a new tradition (or in some other traditions, a rite of passage you experience later).

Personally, I took on a Kemetic name as a sort of "craftname" to express my investment in Kemeticism and dedication to m'lady.
    Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Gwyddon

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    I've always thought it as a sort of rite of passage, one of the first things you do when you enter a new tradition (or in some other traditions, a rite of passage you experience later).

Personally, I took on a Kemetic name as a sort of "craftname" to express my investment in Kemeticism and dedication to m'lady.
    It makes sense that way. Part of the whole vibe and experience.

I took one, but for me it was really low on the ladder of importance, and nobody in the college calls me by it. I guess I have just always been happy that my parents named me Fireof9 so.........
    Really? So, hey, want to go fishing? I've got a telescope, and it's going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
    ...what, I'm not talking about fishing? That's stargazing? It's all doing-stuff, so it's the same thing, right?
    -HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
    The Gwyddonic Order

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

It makes sense that way. Part of the whole vibe and experience.

I took one, but for me it was really low on the ladder of importance, and nobody in the college calls me by it. I guess I have just always been happy that my parents named me Fireof9 so.........
    I think naming's importance depends on the tradition. In Kemeticism, names are a Big Deal in terms of heka. I don't know about Gwyddon.

Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Gwyddon

I think naming's importance depends on the tradition. In Kemeticism, names are a Big Deal in terms of heka. I don't know about Gwyddon.
    Names are important in Gwyddon, but not so much the Craft name. I think the craf name was a holdover from a college that had a lot of Wiccan influence to it.(not dissin Wiccans, just a bit of Gwyddon history)
    Finding your True Name is important though.
    -HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
    The Gwyddonic Order

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Names are important in Gwyddon, but not so much the Craft name. I think the craf name was a holdover from a college that had a lot of Wiccan influence to it.(not dissin Wiccans, just a bit of Gwyddon history)
    Finding your True Name is important though.
    Sounds like, at least in the context of Gwyddon and Wicca, what's supposed to be done with the name plays a big part. . . .

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by RoselynLibera View Post
    Also, just to say it, being Wiccan (or any other religion) doesn't require a name. If you feel you want one, there's no reason why you shouldn't have one. And if a name comes to you, then there's no reason not to take it.
    There are traditions in which it's a requirement. (Though you're right, for many, it's a "this is a pleasant added optional extra")

In my tradition, it's a requirement to take one at 1st degree, and it's pretty common to make variations or take a new one at subsequent degrees. (I didn't at my 2nd, I did at my 3rd.) Names for us are a tool: if you call me the name I took at 1st (which I only ever use in small group ritual with people I *really* trust) it kicks me deeply and immediately into major ritual headspace.

IF you use the 3rd degree name (Althaea, in my case), it kicks me immediately into priestess mindset.

These things are handy.

The other thing is that we use names as "What we want to become more like" : they are very much a tool for guiding direction of change, so that we have some idea what we're aiming at. In, generally, a very symbolic sort of way, because names are complicated, and people are complicated, and no name is going to hit every facet of ourselves (or rather, a name that did would be unwieldy.) But "We're aiming at roughly the right star in the sky" is not a bad thing to help with.
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Gwyddon

Sounds like, at least in the context of Gwyddon and Wicca, what's supposed to be done with the name plays a big part. . . .
    I think it is in Wicca ( not sure ) but in Gwyddon its more about knowing your true name, then protecting it.
    -HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
    The Gwyddonic Order

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast