collapse

Author Topic: Bakery Refuses Same Sex Wedding Cake Order, Sees  (Read 12775 times)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Bakery Refuses Same Sex Wedding Cake Order, Sees
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2015, 12:16:36 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;169801
Well, according to the baker herself, the man actually was not refused service. He was simply told that the baker wasn't comfortable piping the slurs (and he wanted slurs, not a generic "bible cake") on herself. They told him they would make his cake sans offensive homophobic language, and give him the special tools and icing to finish it himself.

In other words the baker wasn't refusing to make them a cake, just not that kind of cake.  The baker's message: I'll do business with you, but on MY terms.  
Which sounds a lot like the position held by the bakery mentioned in the OP.  That bakery had even sold a cake to that couple before.... just not that kind of cake.  

Saw this coming, btw.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2015, 09:53:39 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;169820
In other words the baker wasn't refusing to make them a cake, just not that kind of cake.  The baker's message: I'll do business with you, but on MY terms.  

The baker's actual message looks rather more like "I'm not willing to be coerced into speech that I find reprehensible.  If you want to say vile things, here are the tools to do so."  In other words, everyone's free speech is respected, and nobody is forced to say/write something that they find unaceptable.

(The customer there reminds me of the sort of schoolyard bully who tries to get another kid to say curse words in front of teacher so they'll get in trouble.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2015, 09:58:24 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;169837
The baker's actual message looks rather more like "I'm not willing to be coerced into speech that I find reprehensible.  If you want to say vile things, here are the tools to do so."  In other words, everyone's free speech is respected, and nobody is forced to say/write something that they find unaceptable.

(The customer there reminds me of the sort of schoolyard bully who tries to get another kid to say curse words in front of teacher so they'll get in trouble.)

So to the gay couple, here is your cake, but you have to decorate it since I find SSM reprehensible.  Works for me.

Still leaves open that creating art on other than a cake isn't considered speech, but oh well.  That'll probably be next case.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;169820
Which sounds a lot like the position held by the bakery mentioned in the OP.  That bakery had even sold a cake to that couple before.... just not that kind of cake.  

Saw this coming, btw.

In what world is a plain ol' wedding cake requested by a couple that happens to be of the same sex equivalent to one deliberately designed to be offensive? If I recall correctly, well-intentioned opponents of gay marriage don't go around calling LGBT people f*gs.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2015, 11:29:48 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;169840
In what world is a plain ol' wedding cake requested by a couple that happens to be of the same sex equivalent to one deliberately designed to be offensive? If I recall correctly, well-intentioned opponents of gay marriage don't go around calling LGBT people f*gs.

When the wedding cake indicates it's for a SSM by wording or decoration. In other words when the bakery is required to provide some actual expression of an idea they find morally repugnant.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2015, 11:35:54 am »
Quote from: sailor;169843
When the wedding cake indicates it's for a SSM by wording or decoration. In other words when the bakery is required to provide some actual expression of an idea they find morally repugnant.
If I recall correctly, the anti - LGBT bakers refused to bake the cake not because it had super-gay anti-Christian slogans on it, but because they learned that it would be eaten at a wedding where the couple were of the same sex. The cake itself was quite ordinary.

I will be quite clear here and say that if ANYONE went into a bakery and demanded a cake with blasphemous images and text, the baker would be within his or her rights to say NO.

You are quite frankly making a false equivalency.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:19 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;169844
If I recall correctly, the anti - LGBT bakers refused to bake the cake not because it had super-gay anti-Christian slogans on it, but because they learned that it would be eaten at a wedding where the couple were of the same sex. The cake itself was quite ordinary.

And an ordinary wedding cake does not have text, and thus cannot have blasphemous or bigoted text on it.  (I just went through a Google image search and the only one I found with text on it in the pages of cakes I looked at before Google said "fuck off I'm not giving you anything else to look at" was one themed with an XKCD reference.)

Most of the cakes in those photos didn't have toppers, either, not that a cake topper is typically provided by a bakery in the first place.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;169849
And an ordinary wedding cake does not have text, and thus cannot have blasphemous or bigoted text on it.  (I just went through a Google image search and the only one I found with text on it in the pages of cakes I looked at before Google said "fuck off I'm not giving you anything else to look at" was one themed with an XKCD reference.)

Most of the cakes in those photos didn't have toppers, either, not that a cake topper is typically provided by a bakery in the first place.
My point exactly.

Tags: