Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Bakery Refuses Same Sex Wedding Cake Order, Sees  (Read 12709 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Bakery Refuses Same Sex Wedding Cake Order, Sees
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:24:49 am »
Same-sex couple files complaint against Gresham bakery that refused to make wedding cake

The state attorney general’s office is investigating a complaint against a Gresham bakery after a Portland woman said the business refused to make a cake for her wedding to another woman.

“I believe marriage is a religious institution between a man and woman as stated in the Bible,” Klein said. “When someone tells me that their definition is something different, I strongly disagree. I don’t think I should be penalized for that.”

Yes, I totally remember that part in the Bible where it says "Thou Shalt Not Bake Pastries For The Gays." Also, it's against state law to discriminate, so it doesn't matter what Jesus has against pastries.

Wasn't this a think, like, five years ago? Do they think they're Chik-Fil-A? This bullshit disgusts me.

(Now if he said he refused to bake fig pie because God Hates Figs, I'd have to at least bow to his theology...)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bakery Refuses Same Sex Wedding Cake Order, Sees
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:55:06 am »
Quote from: Jack;94657
Wasn't this a think, like, five years ago? Do they think they're Chik-Fil-A? This bullshit disgusts me.

Disgusting, but not overly surprising.  The further from I-5, the (generally) shittier folk get.

Brina

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:58:07 am »
Same-sex couple files complaint against Gresham bakery that refused to make wedding cake

Yes, I totally remember that part in the Bible where it says "Thou Shalt Not Bake Pastries For The Gays." Also, it's against state law to discriminate, so it doesn't matter what Jesus has against pastries.

(Now if he said he refused to bake fig pie because God Hates Figs, I'd have to at least bow to his theology...)

I guess their against making money too. I'm tired of people doing this.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:17:11 am »

Maybe you are thinking of Elaine Photography?  Or where the gay photographer must take pictures at a Church of the Creator wedding?

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:45:21 am »
Quote from: yewberry;94658
Disgusting, but not overly surprising.  The further from I-5, the (generally) shittier folk get.

Brina

Hey, now.  Lots of shitty people right on the I-5 corridor, and lots of fine folk a ways further off.  Eastern Oregon and Washington know that they're sneered at by metro Seattle and the Willamette Valley, and it's part of what fuels the reactionaries there.  "Those stuck-up city liberals hate you, and they're the ones pushing all this diversity stuff, and do you want to dance to their tune?"  It just undermines the work good people out there are doing to make their communities better.
...sorry, this is my fussy rural-raised soapbox.  It's a button, for me.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:56 am »
Quote from: sailor;94661
Maybe you are thinking of Elaine Photography?  Or where the gay photographer must take pictures at a Church of the Creator wedding?

Do you have a link for the gay photographer one.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:27 am »

I don't know why, but every time I read something like this I am still shocked.
Look at the world around us. So many horrors and disgusting acts of hate and cruelty, people starving while we throw away billions of tons of food - the list goes on and on. Still there are people getting their knickers in a twist over which gender someone is attracted to? Really? Why does it matter? It just blows my mind
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;94679
Do you have a link for the gay photographer one.

cause I think the Elaine Photography was a person who refused a gay wedding as well.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

crazyharry

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:00 pm »

I think it's a consequence of Christian-dominated culture. I think that times are changing, but a lot of Christians still don't see any problem with enforcing their version of morality however they deem it necessary. I think the best solution is to try to point out to those Christians who still think it is right to legislate morality according to the Bible that it really isn't in keeping with the Constitution, but it's a difficult subject to discuss, and the wording becomes important. It seems to me that the simplest way is to ask how they would feel if there was a Muslim majority trying to pass legislation requiring all women to wear the burkha, but that isn't the sort of thing you can lead with. It's vexing, but I think there's hope.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:24:02 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;94689
cause I think the Elaine Photography was a person who refused a gay wedding as well.

Yes, Elaine Photography is the case where a photographer for hire can be compelled to photography private events that they find religiously objectionable.

The gay photographer for Church of the Creator case doesn't exist yet.  I'm waiting for one of the real hate groups to get smart enough to hire a gay or Black photographer for an event. When the photographer refuses, to sue the heck out of their business until there are no gay or Black photography businesses left in their state.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »
Quote from: sailor;94720
Yes, Elaine Photography is the case where a photographer for hire can be compelled to photography private events that they find religiously objectionable.

The gay photographer for Church of the Creator case doesn't exist yet.  I'm waiting for one of the real hate groups to get smart enough to hire a gay or Black photographer for an event. When the photographer refuses, to sue the heck out of their business until there are no gay or Black photography businesses left in their state.

If the gay or black business is smart, they'll take the job and mess it up and refund the money with apologies (or have an emergency etc, so they have to bow out  at the last minute and refund with apologies).
Katrina

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:02:44 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;94726
If the gay or black business is smart, they'll take the job and mess it up and refund the money with apologies (or have an emergency etc, so they have to bow out  at the last minute and refund with apologies).

Good point. Have the gay couple spend $20,000 on a wedding or commitment ceremony and then get back the money for photos (and they don't get the photos either). Oh, and if there is another photographer there, expect a lawsuit over that just like a lawsuit over the bad photos.

Meanwhile the photographer has skipped events that would actually pay the bills.

And the second time the photographer bows out on an event for a similar group welcome to discovery.  If you can't win on the merits, bankrupt them thru lawyer's fees. Oh, and destroying e-mails, papers etc is a criminal act so yet another Black person goes to jail.

This can be carried on until everybody but the lawyers lose.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »

I find myself conflicted. Yes, I'm sad and tired of the same-sex struggles and blatant racism but at the same time...shouldn't a business have the right to refuse a sale? If I was a baker and someone came in to order a cake, for let's say Adolf Hitler's birthday, should I have the right to refuse their order because I don't believe that Hitler should have birthday cake? It's their business and if the money's not enough to tempt them against their beliefs, why should they be forced to take it?

As I said, I find myself conflicted and uncertain of where it's okay to draw the line between upholding personal beliefs and extending tolerance.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Bakery Refuses Same Sex Wedding Cake Order, Sees
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;94728
I find myself conflicted. Yes, I'm sad and tired of the same-sex struggles and blatant racism but at the same time...shouldn't a business have the right to refuse a sale? If I was a baker and someone came in to order a cake, for let's say Adolf Hitler's birthday, should I have the right to refuse their order because I don't believe that Hitler should have birthday cake? It's their business and if the money's not enough to tempt them against their beliefs, why should they be forced to take it?

As I said, I find myself conflicted and uncertain of where it's okay to draw the line between upholding personal beliefs and extending tolerance.

In this state, a business doesn't have to give a reason to refuse service to anyone. I've used that quite a bit as my backup on issues of "get outta my store, asshole." So as horrible as it is that it would be used to further someone's bigotry, it's not a right I can honestly see taking away, because it also gives people working with the public the right to stand up for themselves when being abused. Innocent people's rights should not be taken away because some people abuse it.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 06:34:47 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;94726

I've never seen how it hurts me to work on computers for people whose positions I can't stand. They give me (their opposition) money which I get to use for all sorts of things they would not.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: