Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Do you accept other religions?  (Read 38112 times)

Varconus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Do you accept other religions?
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »
Don't know if this is the right forum, but I didnt find a more suiting :-)

Its a simple question really: Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?

I personally accept all religions (except the ones clearly made for making money) and I know that one of them might be right. But I have found my path, and I will stick with it even if its wrong :)
Som glittertind under isbreteppets drakt,
skal friheten stå rakt i samme prakt!

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Do you accept other religions?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:50 pm »
Quote from: Varconus;7169

Its a simple question really: Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?

I accept pretty much all religions, and think that all in some way, shape, or form are correct. I think there is room for more than one god, more than one afterlife. So for me, there isn't a real reason to discount a different faith/religion.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:14:43 pm »

I even accept other people's marriagesreligions when I think their spouseresult is an asshole.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

benvarry

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?

I don't think any religions are right.  And I would argue that religious faith has created more harm than good in the world.  But they all have good intentions (however deeply buried).

Ocelot

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »

I personally accept all religions (except the ones clearly made for making money) and I know that one of them might be right. But I have found my path, and I will stick with it even if its wrong :)

Well, "right" is relative. While I can and do accept that other people are free to pursue their beliefs, I can also disagree with those beliefs.

I'm not sure one can fully devote themselves to a path and at the same time think there's only a chance they are correct.
~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.
~<>~

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »

I am not sure accept is the right word. I strongly believe to each their own. I respect another's view and choice and that we are all different people. & that it makes sense that we would all find our own path toward spirituality & religion.

Though at the same time I refuse to accept anyone's view or religion that equals hatred, intolerance, or harm to another being. We are free to honor and live how we wish but we shouldn't try to use that to harm another or to oppress.

I do not believe other paths are all correct. I am not sure how that could be possible even. But I also know that my path is just my own belief and I could be completely wrong lol.
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »
.. Its a simple question really: Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?  ..

I tolerate them but that doesn't mean I accept thier position or what they preach.  But I freely admit that tolerance ends when it begins to infringe upon my rights and beliefs.

Truthfully, no I do not consider or weight the notion that they maybe right.  I just acnowledge that it is right for them and not right for me.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:26 pm »
Quote from: Ocelot;7179
I'm not sure one can fully devote themselves to a path and at the same time think there's only a chance they are correct.

This interests me, because I am compulsively agnostic.  I actually find complete lack of doubt alarming.  When I get right down to it, I'm not 100% sure I'm correct about basic physics, much less more subjective truths.  Yet, I'd still consider myself fully devoted to the laws of physics.  To quote Kafka: "It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary."  

Granted, there are a great many things I'm 99.9% sure of - gravity, for example.  But my spiritual path is not one of those things.  What I do know is what works for me and meshes with my own experiences.

I accept other religions on a case by case basis.  I think most of them have some element of truth.  I doubt any of them has the whole truth - it's too big a subject for any one human to grasp in its entirety.

There are a few I have to reject completely, most often because other elements of the faith outweigh any nuggets of truth they might have uncovered.  (Though because of who I am, this manifest as "They may be right, but if they are I don't want to know about it.")
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »

Provided they aren't out to harm me or others, I tolerate all religions and respect the right of others to believe as they wish. I believe that all religions are "right" in that they are "right" for those who choose to follow them.  However, I draw the line at any religion imposing or attempting to impose its beliefs, practices or religious morality on others.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:33:04 pm »

The message isn't important; it's the belief.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Ocelot

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;7190
This interests me, because I am compulsively agnostic.  I actually find complete lack of doubt alarming.  When I get right down to it, I'm not 100% sure I'm correct about basic physics, much less more subjective truths.  Yet, I'd still consider myself fully devoted to the laws of physics.  To quote Kafka: "It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary."  

Granted, there are a great many things I'm 99.9% sure of - gravity, for example.  But my spiritual path is not one of those things.  What I do know is what works for me and meshes with my own experiences.

I accept other religions on a case by case basis.  I think most of them have some element of truth.  I doubt any of them has the whole truth - it's too big a subject for any one human to grasp in its entirety.

There are a few I have to reject completely, most often because other elements of the faith outweigh any nuggets of truth they might have uncovered.  (Though because of who I am, this manifest as "They may be right, but if they are I don't want to know about it.")

Right, but I didn't say complete lack of doubt. I just think that if you are devoting yourself to a path, you should have a reasonable amount of conviction in your beliefs.
~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.
~<>~

Miluna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

I'm accept any religion, I have my faith and they have theirs. Sometimes I'll even ask them about their religion as I'm generally interested.

But when some of them start to try and ram their beliefs down my throat -  getting in my face and telling me my faith is wrong, I'll go to hell, just who I can and can't love, what I can and can't, etc - then I feel I tend to act a bit more coolly around others like them because of that experience.....(which is wrong, because I'm sure most of them are lovely people)
My blog - An Open Flame

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »
Quote from: Ocelot;7200
Right, but I didn't say complete lack of doubt. I just think that if you are devoting yourself to a path, you should have a reasonable amount of conviction in your beliefs.

Ah, I get it thanks.  I misunderstood what you meant by "only a chance they're correct."  I think you meant it as in chance vs. probability, while I was thinking chance vs certainty?
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »

I go the other way - I believe they're all wrong, at least in part.  Including/especially my own.  The universe is way too darn big for me to be able to understand the entire reality of it, and I can't see any way to have a complete and true understanding of the nature of god/s/the Divine/whatever if we can't even understand how the basic building blocks work!

If we could understand everything, we could also know the Truth of whatever's out there.  In the meantime, we do the best we can with what we have and fake the rest.

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »

Welcome to the board!  I accept other religions, sure.  I don't believe that every religion is correct, but I fully admit that my human perspective and understanding is very limited to so maybe I'm wrong.  I think that each religion, despite its flaws, has something valuable and inspiring to offer to its followers.

Tags: