Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Author Topic: Do you accept other religions?  (Read 38116 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Do you accept other religions?
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2014, 03:12:50 am »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;166034
But this isn't a debate about soteriology. The o.p. asked if we accept other religions, I said yes and why I do. There's no right or wrong.

Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;166102
You know, I'm really getting tired of this... 3 people not reading what I wrote.

A Reminder:
Hi, Gunnar,

I'm not sure why you think people aren't reading what you wrote; it looks to me like they're reading it - all of it, not just the bit you keep re-quoting - and are engaging with it. That you think the continued engagement somehow constitutes 'not reading' gives the impression that your intention with the disclaimer was to tell them not to engage with what you'd said.

Because that's just an impression, and you didn't directly tell others not to post, you haven't crossed the rules line, so this is just a reminder, not a warning. But it does look like some clarification is in order.

The question(s) asked in the OP of a thread do not delimit what can and cannot be discussed in a thread (especially not a 24-page-long thread started more than three years ago). People can, and do, engage with the answers others have given to those questions, including disagreeing with some of the content; this is not only not against our rules, it's encouraged - TC is a discussion and debate forum, and that's 'discussion and debate'. Sometimes this causes a thread to go in a new direction; that's not against the rules either. Thread drift happens; we consider it to be a natural and healthy byproduct of discussion and debate.

If you check the 'Do Not' section of our rules, you'll see that we do have rules against moderating other members, and against telling others not to post to you. People are free to post to you, and to discuss or challenge things you've said. When they do so, they are not setting up a 'right or wrong' dichotomy, they are simply expressing their own opinions, which may disagree with yours, but are no less legitimate to express than yours.

You've said you won't be responding further, and that's fine; you're not obligated to do so. But neither are others obligated to cease disagreeing with you out loud.

Again, this isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2015, 10:54:31 pm »
Quote from: Varconus;7169
Don't know if this is the right forum, but I didnt find a more suiting :-)

Its a simple question really: Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?

I personally accept all religions (except the ones clearly made for making money) and I know that one of them might be right. But I have found my path, and I will stick with it even if its wrong :)

Well I don't exactly accept other religions as my truth so to speak but I'm very tolerant, the only thing I have little tolerance for these days is fundamentalist Christianity or to the point the type of Christians who believe you need to be saved and won't let up for anything. I once into a huge fight with an asshole cabdriver and reported him to his workplace because I was tired one morning and really wanted to get home from my food pantry and I made one stupid comment about the buses not running on Sunday and the church I wanted to go to not having a van service and all he wanted to talk about was salvation and acted very misgynonistic by threatening to beat the crap out me when I threaten to use self defense. I really hope he got fired because no customer of the cab company should be subjected to so much discrimination. People like that make me question why I don't carry guns, knives, and loads of pepperspray on daily basis. But it does make me think twice about using that cab company in an emergency situations. The company did switch me over to a new person who knew about how that driver was. I don't care if I get called a racist, that man was evil and I want to buy a gun or pepperspray just to protect myself against him.
PrincessKLS

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2015, 11:08:05 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;182909
People like that make me question why I don't carry guns, knives, and loads of pepperspray on daily basis.

Presumably because you live in Virginia, rather than downtown Aleppo ;)
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

habbalah

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2015, 06:40:51 pm »
Quote from: Castus;182910

My path is omnist at its core. I believe that all paths are valid, but not valid for everyone. I am where I am because nothing else works for me personally; doesn't make everything else wrong.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:43:19 pm by Darkhawk »
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2015, 10:44:31 am »

Its a simple question really: Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?

I don't think it is a simple question, so I split it in several questions:

Do I think, that all human beings ought to enjoy freedom of religion? - Yes.

Do I think that there are elements of value in all religions? - Yes, most of them, at least.

Do I think that there are environments within all religions that are abusive, destructive, and brings out the worst of people? - Yes. That is sadly true. I wish it wasn't.

Do I think that all and every claims correlate to reality at the same time? - No. That would be against logic.

Do I think that each of several structures of internally (but not externally) interrelated symbols, may serve the purpose of religious interface, despite each of these structures contradict what is internally coherent in another structure? - Yes

HappyWiccan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2015, 02:24:54 pm »

I personally accept all religions (except the ones clearly made for making money) and I know that one of them might be right. But I have found my path, and I will stick with it even if its wrong :)

I'm with you. I accept other religions, but I will stand strong with mine.
"When the finger points to yonder moon, the fool will not look at the fingertip."

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2015, 11:52:09 am »

To each their own, unless that belief system is quite comfortable with violating basic human rights. In that case, I am comfortable with side-eyeing it and declaring that it perhaps is far from right, much less perfect. I am also comfortable enough with my own path that I see no reason to give it up.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 18, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »

If we didn't, we wouldn't be here xD
But yes, my family is mostly atheistic, but there are christians and buddhists there too. My life would suck quite a bit if I couldn't accept that, and I'm very happy for them :) They're very secure in their faith and in themselves and I admire that.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Cinder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:12 pm »

I accept other faiths. I think that people taking their time to consider which religion is right for them is a beautiful thing, and I don't think there is necessarily a "right" or "wrong" religion. I do, however, believe that there are things I personally agree and disagree with within all religions.

I'm not sure if this counts, but the thing that rubs me the wrong way the most nowadays is some (definitely not all- I'm not trying to generalize) atheists who belittle and put down anyone who has any sort of religion or spirituality. While most people here have expressed some sort of belief that A: they aren't (or don't have to have) the One True Belief, the way that some atheists seem to go out of their way to "prove" people with religious beliefs wrong and paint the hundreds of beliefs that are out there with the same brush really grinds my gears.

That's one thing I can't and won't accept: that in the year of 2017, science knows and has proven  everything ever- and that because something isn't scientifically proven it can and will never be- and this belief that science is everything.

Don't get me wrong: I love sciene. I wanted to be a genetic counselor for the longest time.

However, I think it takes a lot of ignorance to say "science hasn't proven religion, therefore anyone talking to God/gods is talking to an imaginary friend lols".

When one looks to history, one can see that certain things were considered revolutionary that aren't so today, and things we know today were considered impossible and wrong.

It just seems to me that "I can and will never accept religious beliefs and those who think differently than I do are wrong and uneducated" takes a lack of both hindsight and foresight.

I'd like to reiterate that it's not that I don't accept atheism at all- many good people are atheist. I simply don't accept the propaganda that some put out that 2017 is the pinnacle of human achievement FOREVER etc, etc.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:48 pm »
Quote from: Cinder;205147
I'm not sure if this counts, but the thing that rubs me the wrong way the most nowadays is some (definitely not all- I'm not trying to generalize) atheists who belittle and put down anyone who has any sort of religion or spirituality. While most people here have expressed some sort of belief that A: they aren't (or don't have to have) the One True Belief, the way that some atheists seem to go out of their way to "prove" people with religious beliefs wrong and paint the hundreds of beliefs that are out there with the same brush really grinds my gears.

That's one thing I can't and won't accept: that in the year of 2017, science knows and has proven  everything ever- and that because something isn't scientifically proven it can and will never be- and this belief that science is everything.

Don't get me wrong: I love sciene. I wanted to be a genetic counselor for the longest time.

However, I think it takes a lot of ignorance to say "science hasn't proven religion, therefore anyone talking to God/gods is talking to an imaginary friend lols".

When one looks to history, one can see that certain things were considered revolutionary that aren't so today, and things we know today were considered impossible and wrong.

It just seems to me that "I can and will never accept religious beliefs and those who think differently than I do are wrong and uneducated" takes a lack of both hindsight and foresight.

I'd like to reiterate that it's not that I don't accept atheism at all- many good people are atheist. I simply don't accept the propaganda that some put out that 2017 is the pinnacle of human achievement FOREVER etc, etc.

Fundie atheists are such rays of effing sunshine, aren't they?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:22:20 pm by Chatelaine »
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2017, 05:25:14 pm »
I accept other faiths. I think that people taking their time to consider which religion is right for them is a beautiful thing, and I don't think there is necessarily a "right" or "wrong" religion. I do, however, believe that there are things I personally agree and disagree with within all religions.

Take this for what it's worth (which may be, not much)...but I get the impression from my own God that he has structured things the way they are so that, when the time does come to open the curtain, he can tell those who thought themselves oh-so-wise to look upon those whom they so despised and see that those others (whether Fundamentalists or witches) got a whole lot closer to the truth than they themselves in their educated wisdom did.

I do see some Scriptural support for this:

Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw it, you did not afterward relent and believe him. [Matthew 21:31b-32 NKJV]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #251 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:36 am »

I've come to favor the term 'anti-theist', to distinguish the sort of atheists who annoy you (and me!) so much from the atheists who don't do that.

Conflating 'not falsifiable' with 'false' is, at best, sloppy application of the scientific method.

Assuming that what science does is prove things, with absolute certainty, is a gross misunderstanding of science and how it works. Alas, there are some anti-theists who do exactly that - for whom science, or ~*!SCIENCE!*~, is (though they fail to realize it) a faith, and not just a faith but a cargo-cultish devotion.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »

To put it simply, yes I do. I believe that Krishna was the avatar of Vishnu and the perfect manifestation of the person of God. This is what Krishna had to say about other religions:

"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me."

So I really have no reason to doubt that other religions are valid. The God I worship says that other religions actually DO reward their followers with the afterlives that they promise. That is not quite the same thing as thinking my own religion might be wrong, which is also something I often feel. I am chronically agnostic and go through periods where I doubt my beliefs.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Otter

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »
Do you accept other religions/faiths, and might consider that they are right?

Honestly, I do not accept their violent existence in the world.

I tend to be quite militant in my beliefs, due to the fact that most religions cause more harm than good.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2017, 04:59:03 pm »
Quote from: Otter;205944
Honestly, I do not accept their violent existence in the world.

Which religions are you talking about here? I mean, off the top of my head I can't think of Jains as having any kinds of violent existence.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tags: