Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Alternative/Revisionist Histories Druids in Ancient America? - Ogham-Like Rock Etchings Found in Colorado  (Read 3384 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
From this article that just appeared on the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD) website this morning, written by Debra L. Lewis:

Some say Druids from the Old World marked their travel here by use of the ancient Celtic tree language, Ogham. Others insist that evidence from the entire area of the plains, canyons, and deserts of the North American southwest point to the early native civilizations as author. The city of Springfield, 35 miles (56 km) north of the cave, takes advantage of the controversy and throws a festival twice a year during the equinox. The debate over who left these markings keeps the crowds coming. One thing for certain and as any Druid or neo-Druid can appreciate those parallax engravings, in conjunction with the sun's rays striking them, precisely mark the equinoxes.

The Druids-in-America hypothesis purports that people from the Old World explored the Arkansas River long before either Columbus or Ericson. This all seemed to start with an accomplished marine biologist from Harvard University, Dr. Barry Fell. He became increasingly interested in rock carvings. Without formal study in epigraphy or languages, he founded The Epigraphic Society in America and became an autodidactic authority on the art of deciphering ancient writings. His most popular books are extensively quoted and reproduced on the internet and follow the same theme that Europeans sailed to Middle America before Christ and in the Bronze Age.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:30:45 am by SunflowerP »
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Druids in Ancient America? - Ogham-Like Rock Etchings Found in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »
Quote from: Sage;92134
From this article that just appeared on the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD) website this morning, written by Debra L. Lewis:

The basic problem with these theories is that the markings in question don't look like standard Ogham, unless you interpret them as markings from variant Ogham alphabets thought to have been created in the middle ages as ciphers. These variant forms are not found on any carvings in Ireland, they are found only in manuscripts listing all the cool codes you can play with based on Ogham. For the North American stone markings to be Ogham, the variant forms would have to be much older than currently supposed.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:25:19 pm »
Quote from: Sage;92134

...because American Indians certainly have never ever used any form of rock art, ever.

No, it must be that Europeans came over to this deserted land and made their mark. Yes. Of course.

Furthermore, that picture...is a spiral. Not that I'm a scholar in N. American petroglyphs, but I've seen a few and I'm pretty sure spirals have been among them. Even if they haven't...what, did the druids invent the spiral?

Unless the picture is unrelated to the article, in which case...um. No comment.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:46:52 pm »
Quote from: Morag;92235

Furthermore, that picture...is a spiral. Not that I'm a scholar in N. American petroglyphs, but I've seen a few and I'm pretty sure spirals have been among them. Even if they haven't...what, did the druids invent the spiral?

Looks like a labyrinth to me.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:48:38 am »
Quote from: Morag;92235
...because American Indians certainly have never ever used any form of rock art, ever.

No, it must be that Europeans came over to this deserted land and made their mark. Yes. Of course.

What Morag said.

And this, from the article, really cements the idea that these people are more concerned with their pet theory and don't even seem to care that their actions may be damaging ancient sites:

While archaeological assistance was asked for, no one waited to receive it and, in the meantime, many sites have been destroyed from future research by amateur excavations. With each successive dig, this group continues to burn any bridge of cooperation between themselves and legitimate science. The amateurs continue to sell books but do nothing to promote the truth and, in fact, hide honest questions.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Druids in Ancient America? - Ogham-Like Rock Etchings Found in Colorado
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:58:26 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;92303
What Morag said.

And this, from the article, really cements the idea that these people are more concerned with their pet theory and don't even seem to care that their actions may be damaging ancient sites:

Which is exactly what the article seems to be saying... I'm a bit confused here. My dyslexia may be taking over, but it seems to me that the article is arguing that we have no need for a Druids-in-America theory because every ancient civilisation was capable of writing on rocks. Which seems eminently sensible to me.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: