Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Baldr  (Read 1226 times)

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Baldr
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:27:32 pm »
Hi I am new to this magical forum :D and I grew up with Norse Mythology (though nothing serious just all the wonderful tales). In the threads I have read this far Odin, Loki and Thor gets named "a lot" but not so much Baldr (and some of the others like Bragi and Idunn). So if any of you has some personal stories of Baldr then I would love to hear them - stories about other lesser spoken off is also very welcome and I do adore Idunn.
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Baldr
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;91452
Hi I am new to this magical forum :D and I grew up with Norse Mythology (though nothing serious just all the wonderful tales). In the threads I have read this far Odin, Loki and Thor gets named "a lot" but not so much Baldr (and some of the others like Bragi and Idunn). So if any of you has some personal stories of Baldr then I would love to hear them - stories about other lesser spoken off is also very welcome and I do adore Idunn.

Well, its not personal (though why I like them is), but I prefer the hero Baldr fighting for love and honor over the Baldr as Christ-figure.

I also like the theory that the Baldr drama harkens back to  a time of ancient warrior cult intitiations.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:16:01 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;91469
Well, its not personal (though why I like them is), but I prefer the hero Baldr fighting for love and honor over the Baldr as Christ-figure.

Yes that is also the one I love the best. And also the story I got shown snippets from one day when I was on the toilet (seems I have good connection out there :P) suggesting it as the origin of Baldr as a demi-god. In the story he was called a Northern son of Zeus born in the last days of the long winter - think that might refer to the Ice Age (or what it is called).
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:44:50 pm »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;91452

There is a devotional about Bragi and Idunna here:  http://www.asphodelpress.com/book.html?title=skalded-apples-a-devotional-anthology-for-idunna-and-bragi
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;91505
There is a devotional about Bragi and Idunna here

Thanks :) so far in (a page or two) it is very beautiful written and I can very much identify them both in their introduction.

Tags: