Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Favorite book you have read...  (Read 2489 times)

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Favorite book you have read...
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:22 pm »
We have a post for worst fiction book...so how about sharing your favorite book...of any type (fiction, non-fiction...whichever)?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It\'s not."  --Dr. Seuss
[/FONT][/I]

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Favorite book you have read...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:46 pm »
Quote from: Kimberly;89834
We have a post for worst fiction book...so how about sharing your favorite book...of any type (fiction, non-fiction...whichever)?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman has been my absolute favorite novel I have ever had the privilege of reading (or rather, listening to the audiobook).
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:48 pm »

I have a few and they have all changed how I viewed a situation or myself. (In no particular order)

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E Frankl
Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi  (I bawled reading this one)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It\'s not."  --Dr. Seuss
[/FONT][/I]

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:58 pm »
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer. Got to probably be the best overall book I have ever read. 1200 pages and never got boring, I couldn't put it down.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:15:30 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »

The Anne of Green Gables series has been my favorite since elementary school and I reread it ever five years or so. It was that book for me. The one I first fell in love with, the one that made me a bookworm.

I can also read Beloved by Toni Morrison over and over. And The Stand (King) is one of my absolute favorites. Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

The Prophet (Gibran) was given to me by a Big Sister while I was in foster care and its probably the closest thing I have to a Bible.

The Yellow Wallpaper was disturbing. Free online, short story from 1892 that completely exposes how absolutely horrific life could be for women in the care of well-meaning but sexist men/doctors. Go read it right now! It'll creep you out.

Dahlgren was the craziest book I've ever read but was strangely fascinating, unlike any other novel, so it's on the list, too.

Not a favorite and not bad, but The Kite Runner has to be the most depressing book I've ever read in my life and I think it may have seriously traumatized me.

Oh, and The Giving Tree.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:39:45 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:37:52 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;89848

Oh, and The Giving Tree.

Who doesn't love the Giving Tree?  It's one of my childhood favorites and now my daughter absolutely loves it as well.
[/FONT][/I]

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47:05 am »

David Eddings is probably one of my favourite authors ever, along with David Gemell, Karen Chance, and Raymond E Feist. Picking any one favourite is impossible for me.... :o
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:04:31 am »

I'm a rereader.  The harry potter series, Alas Babylon, LOTR, The HObbit, IT, The Stand,

Put me on a desert island with the foxfire series and the old boy scout field guide, and those books and I'm good.  A cave without a bear would be nice to.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:38 am »
Quote from: mandrina;89885
I'm a rereader.  The harry potter series, Alas Babylon, LOTR, The HObbit, IT, The Stand,

Put me on a desert island with the foxfire series and the old boy scout field guide, and those books and I'm good.  A cave without a bear would be nice to.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is my very favourite book. I like books by either author, but Good Omens is special.

There are many other books I would rank as "favourites" but they're all a step down from Good Omens in my book, although, the closest book that would compare to it is Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund, which is like a young adult version of American Gods that no one's heard of....

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:44:21 am »

The entire Tolkien bibliography (Silmarillion, Hobbit, and Children of Hurin being my favorite three complete stories), From Hell is my favorite graphic novel, Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite dystopia, the Popol Vuh is my favorite myth cycle, and I'm working on finding my favorite book on gender and sexuality.

Natural Serenity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne keeps it close to home but blows your mind.

Any of Terry Brooks books, takes your imagination to a new world.

One Second After by William R. Forstchen A could happen to the world type book but amazing.
:thup:

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:03:34 pm »

My favourite book is an historical fiction novel called 'Here Be Dragons' by Sharon Kay Penman.

Wow wow wow wow wow wow....:o
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,
 if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her."

~David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 01:17:12 am »

Donut Shop Mysteries by Jessica Black. I'm currently on Killer Crullers, where a man dies shortly after he bought a box of heavily iced crullers off of Suzanna Hart and threw them at the door of her friend that owned a second hand shop next to her. I really liked 'A Witchcraft Mysteries' by Juliet Blackwell, which follows a witch that owns a vintage shop and has a very horrible past. I find her to be a very broken person because her mother took her to a tent where, apparently she told the minister that her daughter was born a witch. They threw her on a stage and poured snakes on her while speaking from the bible. I really like her pig familiar that hates it when anyone takes over his space, including, first a cat, and next a baby.

I also liked the whole thing with her argument with a Wiccan that didn't like how she practiced her craft. I guess demons will do that to a Wiccan when she thinks that demons are a Christian invention when their not. At least in that series.

Paradoxum

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 01:35:28 am »

My favorite book that I have read would have to be "Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich" by David Webster.
A soldier doesn\'t fight because he hates the enemy in front of him. He fights because he loves what he left behind.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 01:41:51 am »

I read Death Warmed Over by Kevin J. Anderson. I'm really looking forward to Unnatural Acts. If no one has heard of Death Warmed Over its about this PI that gets shot trying to find out who killed his girlfriend. The twist is that in this world he comes back to life as a zombie and goes right back to work. No brain eating in this story. Also, in this world, every creature that people thought wasn't real from vampires to witches are in this story. The funny part was the misspell case that he had to do. Apparently the publishing house had done a misprint in one of the spell books and when one sister used it on the other, just to make sure that it had been done right, the sister turned into a pig. Funny, funny.

Tags: