Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: When "not x-deity" is at "x-deity's" Shrine  (Read 2340 times)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
When "not x-deity" is at "x-deity's" Shrine
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:44:38 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Apologies for any inconvenience I may cause. :ashamed:

Let's say you have a shrine for X-Goddess (or God, as you like). Time goes on and you get an idea of how things generally work/feel/etc when X-Goddess is present. Now let's say one day you go to your shrine, and you get a strong impression of something that's not X-Goddess. And it isn't friendly. What do you do?

To be more specific, this happened to me last night and even though it didn't repeat itself again tonight, I find myself rather worried. Last night, I approached Bast's shrine, only to get an incredibly strong impression that Bast was not present. That a non-friendly, not-Bast thing had taken her place while still appearing as her. This has only happened once before, about a year and a half ago.

From what I've been made to understand--from Bast, unless there's a nasty out there trying to tweak my nose--is that I'd "closed my heart" (apparently a way of saying I didn't recognize her?) and that Bast was juuuust a bit angry with me. In the course of other pursuits I have slipped a bit in terms of devotions and offerings to Bast. And she's never been happy with me when I've forgotten her or let too many things for her fall by the wayside without a damn good reason.

Still, the feeling of "not Bast at all" was so strong. I've made her angry before, and the anxiety/weirdness I felt then was not of the breed I felt last night. I don't know what to make of it and could use outside opinions, observations, etc. Does my story raise any red flags?
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: When "not x-deity" is at "x-deity's" Shrine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:52:35 am »
Quote from: Shine;89145
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Apologies for any inconvenience I may cause. :ashamed:

Let's say you have a shrine for X-Goddess (or God, as you like). Time goes on and you get an idea of how things generally work/feel/etc when X-Goddess is present. Now let's say one day you go to your shrine, and you get a strong impression of something that's not X-Goddess. And it isn't friendly. What do you do?

To be more specific, this happened to me last night and even though it didn't repeat itself again tonight, I find myself rather worried. Last night, I approached Bast's shrine, only to get an incredibly strong impression that Bast was not present. That a non-friendly, not-Bast thing had taken her place while still appearing as her. This has only happened once before, about a year and a half ago.

From what I've been made to understand--from Bast, unless there's a nasty out there trying to tweak my nose--is that I'd "closed my heart" (apparently a way of saying I didn't recognize her?) and that Bast was juuuust a bit angry with me. In the course of other pursuits I have slipped a bit in terms of devotions and offerings to Bast. And she's never been happy with me when I've forgotten her or let too many things for her fall by the wayside without a damn good reason.

Still, the feeling of "not Bast at all" was so strong. I've made her angry before, and the anxiety/weirdness I felt then was not of the breed I felt last night. I don't know what to make of it and could use outside opinions, observations, etc. Does my story raise any red flags?

My first thought would be that it's possible this is a side of Bast that you haven't seen before. If you are sure she's that angry with you, well, maybe it's the side of her you get when she's that angry.

It's certainly possible it could be something else, though. You can always fall back on the ol' reliables - divination, smudging, asking Bast to let you know what's up and/or help you out - and see if any of that helps.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:00:14 pm »
Quote from: Jack;89154
My first thought would be that it's possible this is a side of Bast that you haven't seen before. If you are sure she's that angry with you, well, maybe it's the side of her you get when she's that angry.

As I was headed to bed last night, it did occur to me that maybe this is her, "more angry at you than usual" side. Her temper is legendary, after all. ;) :o

My current arrangement with Bast is leaning somewhere toward the servant/god-slave side, so I think this might have been a warning to enjoy exploring other avenues, but to remember where home is at the end of the day. (Woo, long sentence!) The stuff I'm doing now has an aim--and I'd better not forget what that aim is.

If she was trying to scare me back into behaving, then it worked. XD

It's certainly possible it could be something else, though. You can always fall back on the ol' reliables - divination, smudging, asking Bast to let you know what's up and/or help you out - and see if any of that helps.

I reconsecrated the shrine (or at least Bast's statues), just in case something nasty was trying to hang around.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:15 pm »
Quote from: Shine;89206
I reconsecrated the shrine (or at least Bast's statues), just in case something nasty was trying to hang around.

Hopefully that'll solve the problem one way or the other! Good luck.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:33 am »
Quote from: Shine;89145
Last night, I approached Bast's shrine, only to get an incredibly strong impression that Bast was not present. That a non-friendly, not-Bast thing had taken her place while still appearing as her. This has only happened once before, about a year and a half ago.

My knee-jerk reply is "A Cat Goddess acting all weirdly angry and possessive? Yeah, that's new..."

I have two cats. The older one sometimes flips out into paranoid possessed mode while we're still petting her, from a petting session she initiatated. Cats are... weird. I'd expect a Cat Goddess to not act much differently. And we have Bast in the house, though she's primarily my husband's Goddess, not mine.

Karen

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;90563
My knee-jerk reply is "A Cat Goddess acting all weirdly angry and possessive? Yeah, that's new..."

I have two cats. The older one sometimes flips out into paranoid possessed mode while we're still petting her, from a petting session she initiatated. Cats are... weird. I'd expect a Cat Goddess to not act much differently. And we have Bast in the house, though she's primarily my husband's Goddess, not mine.

Karen

Lol, yeah, I'm pretty sure now it was an angrier side of Bast than I've seen before. It just scared me, because I've had some nasty "astral critters" show up in my room. Soooo, knee jerk reaction. I think Bast was trying to spook me back into remembering why I've been temporarily sent out of a purely Kemetic framework into a sort of more eclectic one. (One word: training.)

Novelty puts stars in my eyes--anyone who knows me realizes this. XD So perhaps this was a warning not to let those stars draw me too far away. Or to at least remember the purpose of looking into all this cool new stuff.

Though I'm not sure if "weird" is a good descriptor. "Unpredictable" might be a better term. "Occasionally sneaky when she has to be" is another good one. Oh, and "willing to bap you on the head if you need it" as well. Don't ask me how I know that last one. :ange:

Tags: