Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What do you want done with your body after you die?  (Read 12611 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want done with your body after you die?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:16 am »
Quote from: Flame;88430
I think that the whole embalm, coffin, bury thing is rather wasteful, in money and space, so I'd like to be cremated and scattered across a beach or in a forest.

I don't know if any pagan paths say what should be done with a body after death. I'm just curious to everyone's responses. Does your faith influence what you want done?

In a way. I believe humans have two souls - a Sun Soul and a Moon Soul. After death, the Sun Soul goes on to its next life, being reincarnated or escaping from the life-death-rebirth cycle altogether. However, the Moon Soul sticks around, close to the body. It is my opinion that the Sun Soul has little or none of an individual's personality attached to it. Memories, yes, but not necessarily personality.

A person's individuality comes from their body - how their genes are expressed in relation to their environment. Thus, the Moon Soul, which is intimately tied to the body, is the one that has personality. I think this is why I find Austin Cemetery and Hopewell Cemetery - where many of my relatives in my father's and mother's families are buried - such reassuring places. I can't help but feel at peace surrounded by so many of my ancestors!

When I die, I want to be buried at Austin Cemetery, but I want my heart to be removed and buried under the chestnut oak in the yard of my childhood home (which my parents have said will pass to me upon their deaths). I feel like if my heart fed into that tree, I could become linked to it, and my Moon Soul could become a kami, even.

More practically, I'd prefer to have a "green" burial, and not be embalmed with chemicals, though I might look into more natural methods of preserving my body.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
What do you want done with your body after you die?
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 12:19:27 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;139963
-snipped for space-

I want to be cremated, naked and no embalming chemicals. Then I want my ashes put into several small urns, and each member of my family can get a piece of me. I most definitely want each of my siblings to have a piece of me, then each of my kids (if I have any) and my partner, if I have one when I die. If I find a particular place where I'd like to be attached too, I may ask for a part of me to be buried there, but that's an iffy thing.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:24 pm »

This may sound weird but I'd like to do a high tech update on the whole mummification thing. Basically I'm not sure whether or not the soul exists so I'd like to cover both bases; resurrection/preservation spells said just before and after death to anchor my soul and then cryogenically freeze me then thaw me out as soon as they can do it without scrambling my brain on the spring equinox.

This probably makes me sound like I need to be on anti-psychotics doesn't it? :o

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 01:30:44 am »
Quote from: anonymus;142777
This probably makes me sound like I need to be on anti-psychotics doesn't it? :o

Not particularly, though IMO I wouldn't go that far. But that's just me. It's actually kinda cool that you put a lot of thought into it.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2014, 12:27:55 pm »
I think that the whole embalm, coffin, bury thing is rather wasteful, in money and space, so I'd like to be cremated and scattered across a beach or in a forest.

I don't know if any pagan paths say what should be done with a body after death. I'm just curious to everyone's responses. Does your faith influence what you want done?

I'm being cremated and the cremains are being split. A handful of ash to be used as fertilizer for my 4 lilac bushes and the rest in a beautiful kimchee jar with my sister. It's already arranged and paid for, so Noreen (sister) won't have to do much except pay my final bills.

Phouka

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:50 pm »

Same as you, dear. ^_^[/COLOR]

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:05 am »
Quote from: Valentine;138985
I'm told green burial--where there's no embalming, and the body is buried only in a shroud and/or at most a cardboard or softwood-like-pine box--is the best, environmentally, with cremation coming second--especially since cremation often involves burning an embalmed and/or clothed body, which releases all that stuff into the air.  I just visited one of the US's green burial sites last week, actually, and was quite impressed.

Meanwhile, if you REALLY want to go eco-friendly, there's the mushroom death suit in development:  http://infinityburialproject.com/
They're a project working on this thing where fungus is trained to recognize your particular flesh as food and then you're basically buried wrapped in it, so it will rapidly decompose your body and, due to the nature of the fungus, filter out the accumulated toxins in your flesh as it breaks down.

That sounds like a seriously badass way to go. I remember reading quite awhile ago about bio-urns, where you're cremated and mixed with tree seeds and other fertilizer then buried in the biodegradable container. I'd want to be a weeping willow tree, for my devotion to Quan Yin.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:12 am »

count me in on the organ donation which I've made clear to everyone. then probably composted or the tree idea failing that.. pine box in the mountains so my body can return to the earth.

coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:34 pm »
I've advised my family to cremate me and pass around a half gallon of Makers Mark until its empty. Once the jug is empty consider it my new home.

elephunky

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2014, 11:31:28 pm »
I want to either be cremated or have a green burial.
There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. - William Wordsworth

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2014, 11:47:32 pm »
Quote from: coyote;148852
I've advised my family to cremate me and pass around a half gallon of Makers Mark until its empty. Once the jug is empty consider it my new home.

A Reminder:

Coyote,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2014, 08:55:54 am »
Quote from: elephunky;148853
I want to either be cremated or have a green burial.

A Reminder:
Elephunky,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
veggiewolf, TC Staff
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

GoldenSiren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2014, 07:10:21 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;89189
I would like a natural burial in a simple casket, or cremation would also be fine. I am not really all that concerned about it, but I agree that being pumped full of formaldehyde and put in an elaborate box that is just going to end up in the ground doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe not from a direct standpoint, but with certain deities (Anubis, in all his mummification and funeral-right-related glory is a prime example) it might be something to consider.

Tis been a matter of personal debate with me, really. On one hand, I'm close to Anubis, so it becomes a question if I want to go with the elaborate embalming process in his honor, or simply compromise, where I'd be cremated and have my ashes put in beautiful jars and urns I find in my lifetime, to be done with by my significant other and family as they see fit. Seems fair at this point, and in a way supports both Anubis and Bast (the two deities I'm closest to on a regular basis)

So, to answer Flame's original question:

Does your faith influence what you want done?

Yes, it does. For me anyways. Though truth be told it might actually be making things more difficult for me to decide what I want done~ :whis:
Déjà Moo
/ˌdāZHä ˈmo͞o/
noun

The feeling that you\'ve already heard this bull before :lub:

Tegan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2014, 08:51:04 am »

We are part of a life cycle.  Embalming interrupts that cycle, at least for me.  Therefore, I'd like to be cremated, then put in one of those biodegradable urns with a tree seed.  I don't know what type of tree I'd want, but I would like to be planted on my family's farm somewhere.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2014, 07:58:22 am »

What I WANT to be done is to be buried in a cloth that will decompose and then have a tree planted where my body is so I fertilize it. Too bad that's illegal.

I will most likely be cremated and scattered. Decomposing kind of freaks me out. As for if there are any restrictions based on faith, I have no idea about pagan faiths but I do know that cremation is haram (forbidden) in Islam. Not a pagan faith but...that's all I got!

Tags: