Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: What do you want done with your body after you die?  (Read 12615 times)

Flame

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
What do you want done with your body after you die?
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:03 pm »
I think that the whole embalm, coffin, bury thing is rather wasteful, in money and space, so I'd like to be cremated and scattered across a beach or in a forest.

I don't know if any pagan paths say what should be done with a body after death. I'm just curious to everyone's responses. Does your faith influence what you want done?

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want done with your body after you die?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:29:20 pm »
Quote from: Flame;88430
I think that the whole embalm, coffin, bury thing is rather wasteful, in money and space, so I'd like to be cremated and scattered across a beach or in a forest.

I don't know if any pagan paths say what should be done with a body after death. I'm just curious to everyone's responses. Does your faith influence what you want done?

My path is one that includes the concept of sacrifice for the common good.

I'm an organ donor, then after they take whatever they can use, cremation.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:10 pm »

Under my tradition, the body is supposed to remain intact so that the soul can survive (that's a super simplification, but it hits the basics). I think photos are a good enough replacement. In my mind, what's important is the "form" of a person survives in this world.

I want to do the Japanese thing and get cremated, but have a small "locker" for my urn, photos, Chapters of Coming Forth By Day, and Bast statues. :p If that sounds bad, these lockers take up a suprisingly small amount of room, since they're typically stacked on top of one another, like boxes.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »

I am also an organ donor,  after which I want to be cremated.  I've discussed this with my husband, and he feels the same way, although we were both raised Catholic, so we might have families to deal with then.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »

I have (hopefully) made it very clear to my husband that if he has me embalmed, I will come back and haunt his ass. I would like to be buried naturally or cremated and then a tree planted on top of me. Although I am not opposed to donating organs and tissue first.

Flame

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:55:56 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;88431
My path is one that includes the concept of sacrifice for the common good.

I'm an organ donor, then after they take whatever they can use, cremation.

Oh, that's an excellent idea! That slipped my mind while making this post, I believe I'm a donor as well.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:07:47 pm »

Another organ donor here. Take out the usable parts and put what's left in the ground to feed a tree. No muss, no fuss.

Definitely no embalming, funeral home viewings, or any of the funeral stuff that my family usually does. I mean, if they want to have a party or a memorial or something after, that's fine. But I don't want anyone staring at my dead body for three days, talking about how "good" it looks.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »

I am also an organ donor, and would personally like to be cremated (because I don't think it's legal of feasible to be excarnated....left out for wild things to devour, which would be my first choice).  

I don't believe that the method of burial will effect me after I die.  I believe I will go where I will go, no matter what happens to the flesh that I leave behind.

I have thought before about the amount of our planet that is dedicated to graveyards.  My father taught me to love graveyards, and we have spent many happy hours wandering around looking at the markers and such.  In one sense I would love to be a part of that after I am gone, but I am concerned about what will happen when future people determine that they need more space.  I'd much rather already be a part of the world than to have my memorial site dug up and have no say in what happens to me then.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:14:33 pm »

I'm an organ donor. After that, I anticipate being cremated, though I'd really love to be donated to a body farm. Decomposing for science!

It doesn't really have anything to do with my faith, aside from the fact that I'm not in there anymore, and since photography is a thing, I don't have any use for it. And the idea of being embalmed and turning into soap in some hermetically sealed coffin is just unsettling, nevermind the chemicals used in the embalming process. Blech.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
Does your faith influence what you want done?

After donating some of my squishy bits, I'd like to be composted.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »
Quote from: Finn;88445
After donating some of my squishy bits, I'd like to be composted.

That is awesome, Finn.

Can I change my answer to donate and compost, if I can't donate and go to a body farm?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

No embalming or cremation. Woodland burial with a cardboard or wicker coffin.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »
Quote from: Vale;88449
No embalming or cremation. Woodland burial with a cardboard or wicker coffin.

While you might be able to do that over that side of The Pond, here in America they have very strict rules about what you can and cannot do.

Unfortunate - as part of that now prevents your relatives from scattering your ashes in nature settings - at least in parts of the country - so no stream/river for me, which is where I'd LIKE my ashes to go

Flame

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;88451
While you might be able to do that over that side of The Pond, here in America they have very strict rules about what you can and cannot do.

Unfortunate - as part of that now prevents your relatives from scattering your ashes in nature settings - at least in parts of the country - so no stream/river for me, which is where I'd LIKE my ashes to go

What?? Really? Ugh, I've got to look up these rules, I plan to move to the PNW and die there. Not right away, heh. It's just where I want to live for the rest of my life.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;88451

Actually, places like this are popping up across the country. The first one I heard about was in Maine, I think. I was happily surprised to find one so close to where I live.

Tags: