"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Food: Favorite Beer?  (Read 29258 times)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Favorite Beer?
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:38 pm »
I always like trying new beer, so I thought I would ask everyone what their favorite beers are. Mine is Shiner Bock or Shiner Kosmos from Spoetzl Brewery here in Texas.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:48:21 pm by RandallS »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beer?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;87777
I always like trying new beer, so I thought I would ask everyone what their favorite beers are. Mine is Shiner Bock or Shiner Kosmos from Spoetzl Brewery here in Texas.

You seem to like the malty end of the spectrum.  I'm a bit of a Left-Coast hophead and a Big Beer fan.  I'm also a massive beer geek for a couple and a half decades, so it's really tough to play favorites.

That said, right now I'm lovin' session IPAs, which are finding a foothold here in the PNW.  My current fave is Lagunitas' Daytime.  In the realm of big beers, I love various barleywines and imperial stouts/porters.  I just had this one on tap.  It was magically delicious.  Unfortunately, most of my other faves are local and tap-only.

Brina
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:44:31 pm by yewberry »

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:57:05 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;87779
You seem to like the malty end of the spectrum.  I'm a bit of a Left-Coast hophead and a Big Beer fan.  I'm also a massive beer geek for a couple and a half decades, so it's really tough to play favorites.

That said, right now I'm lovin' session IPAs, which are finding a foothold here in the PNW.  My current fave is Lagunitas' Daytime.  In the realm of big beers, I love various barleywines and imperial stouts/porters.  I just had this one on tap.  It was magically delicious.  Unfortunately, most of my other faves are local and tap-only.

Brina
I tend to go towards German or Czech style beers. I like beer with a lot of flavor and fulfilling. I guess growing up in Texas where there's lots of German and Czech immigrants that's probably why.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;87779

Brina

I do have a fondness for Black Butte Porter!  I used to ride my bike past where it's brewed near every day, growing up, when it was just our local small-town beer.
If you like imperial stouts, have you tried North Coast's Old Rasputin?  I have a passing fondness for it.  And, I think from the same brewers in more of an abbey ale bent--I do love a nice brown abbey ale--Brother Thelonious is quite nice.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Favorite Beer?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:48 pm »

There's a brewery in Raleigh (about 2 1/2 hours from me) called Natty Greene's that has some interesting stuff, but I'm an IPA girl, and I haven't tried theirs yet. The stuff in my fridge right now is the IPA from Highland Brewing Company in Asheville.  J's a cider guy more than beer, so I've also got a couple of bottles of Angry Orchard in there.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:52:33 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;87782
I do have a fondness for Black Butte Porter!  I used to ride my bike past where it's brewed near every day, growing up, when it was just our local small-town beer.
If you like imperial stouts, have you tried North Coast's Old Rasputin?  I have a passing fondness for it.  And, I think from the same brewers in more of an abbey ale bent--I do love a nice brown abbey ale--Brother Thelonious is quite nice.

I so very Old Raspy.  I just had a burbon-barrel aged version that I adored.  I'm not a big fan of Belgians because of the intense estery yeast profile.  Brother Thelonious was decent, but again not a style I enjoy much.

Brina

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:02:32 am »
Quote from: yewberry;87825
I so very Old Raspy.  I just had a burbon-barrel aged version that I adored.  I'm not a big fan of Belgians because of the intense estery yeast profile.  Brother Thelonious was decent, but again not a style I enjoy much.

Brina
Does anyone care for wheat beer? Shiner Hefeweizen is a wheat beer I like to drink from time to time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:03:05 am by Cabal »

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:27:05 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;87836
Does anyone care for wheat beer? Shiner Hefeweizen is a wheat beer I like to drink from time to time.

I tend to consider wheat beer "summer" or starter beers.  But if you like gentle phenolic notes (without being overwhelming, like a lot of Belgians), you'll really enjoy Weizens.

Brina

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 02:34:44 am »
Quote from: yewberry;87825

Brina

Raspy's good.  The only Belgian brew I've tried is Duvel.  Pretty good, though a tad sweet at the finish, but overall not something I'd enjoy often.

The last couple of years I've been a rabid fan of IPAs.  Sierra Nevada's 'Torpedo' is great, but the one out of Stone Brewery in the San Diego area is awesome.  Matter of fact I enjoy just about the entire Stone line, most especially Arrogant Bastard Ale.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Favorite Beer?
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:34:28 am »
I always like trying new beer, so I thought I would ask everyone what their favorite beers are.

I prefer nicer, crisp, clean pilsners, lagers, and pale ales.  For some reason, I don't enjoy the darker beers any more.  I used to love Guiness.  *shrug*

My very favorite is called Blonde Bombshell.  Unfortunately, it's made by a local microbrewery and only available on tap in their restaurant.  Sigh.

I enjoy trying craft beers, but don't have a favorite at the moment.

My go-to, (usually) easily available stand-by is Stella Artois, although I like Moretti, too, when I can find it.  I also have to admit to a fondness for Corona, as pedestrian as that might be.  ;)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:43:50 am »
Quote from: Valentine;87782
If you like imperial stouts, have you tried North Coast's Old Rasputin?

Lagunitas had an imperial stout out last year, but this year I can't seem to find it. Imperial stouts are my all-around favorite.

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;87836

Wheat beer is my favourite beer style. I love hefeweizen, and Schlafly makes a great one (also at their restaurant in St Louis they batter their cod using it--yummy!).

Hoegaarden--Belgian White Beer--was the beer that spurred my love of wheat beers. I just love unfiltered beers. The cloudier, the better! I hear those Budweiser commercials about how their new beer is 'triple-filtered' and it just sounds terrible.

I love Shock Top and Blue Moon--both wheat beers flavoured with citrus and coriander. Shock Top has a new beer that has a hint of a raspberry flavour added to it. It's fantastic!

Speaking of fruit, I do love a good fruit lambic. Again another Belgian beer. I do not like lambic beer without the addition of the fruit, but with the fruit it is truly scrumptious. I enjoy the kriek (cherry), framboise (raspberry) and the pomme (apple). Lindemans have a great variety of these beers. I first tried them when in Belgium and am very happy that they can be found over here too.
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,
 if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her."

~David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:15:23 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;87906
I prefer nicer, crisp, clean pilsners, lagers, and pale ales.  For some reason, I don't enjoy the darker beers any more.

My husband is the same. His favourite pilsner is a Spanish one called Estrella Damm that is from Barcelona (we were there earlier this year--beer is cheaper than soda so we had a beer with every single meal of the day). There is also a pilsner we sampled when down in the south of Spain called Cruzcampo, and it's nice too.
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Favorite Beer?
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »
Quote from: Juniper;87978
My husband is the same. His favourite pilsner is a Spanish one called Estrella Damm that is from Barcelona (we were there earlier this year--beer is cheaper than soda so we had a beer with every single meal of the day). There is also a pilsner we sampled when down in the south of Spain called Cruzcampo, and it's nice too.

Ooooo!  I'll look for those.  Thanks!

A brand new liquor store just opened within walking distance of my house, and it's HUGE.  I'm looking forward to working my way through their beer section.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;88019
Ooooo!  I'll look for those.  Thanks!

A brand new liquor store just opened within walking distance of my house, and it's HUGE.  I'm looking forward to working my way through their beer section.

Within walking distance? Nice ;)

We live out in the middle of nowhere and the closest town is very small. Therefore whenever we're in St Louis (about six times a year usually) we stock up on beer. Our car is full of clinking the entire journey home.

Tags: