Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Need remedies!  (Read 1452 times)

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Need remedies!
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »
I have a congested nose and bad cough and sore throat AND a non stop headache since Friday morning. I've been to Dr and I got a steroid shot, an inhaler,antibiotics, and cough syrup.

I didn't give to sleep till 4am this morning and then was awake at 730 due to this excessive cough. It's making my head hurt worse. I've taken about 15 BC powders in the last few days and they are failing. I don't know What to do about my headache or cough. I'm very, very tired also.

Ideas?

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Need remedies!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:36:54 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;85152
I have a congested nose and bad cough and sore throat AND a non stop headache since Friday morning. I've been to Dr and I got a steroid shot, an inhaler,antibiotics, and cough syrup.

I didn't give to sleep till 4am this morning and then was awake at 730 due to this excessive cough. It's making my head hurt worse. I've taken about 15 BC powders in the last few days and they are failing. I don't know What to do about my headache or cough. I'm very, very tired also.

Ideas?

What were you doing Thursday night, Friday morning? What did you eat, drink or breath in?
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:45:31 pm »

Ideas?

Plenty. You have described my recurring illness I get a few times every year as far back as I can remember. For the congestion:

• Netti pots really work for me. They seem a little gross but there's only a mild pressure in the sinuses, like when you're swimming in a pool. Absolutely cleans out my nose and I can breathe like never before.
  • Steam, like in hot showers or an actual steam treatment (boil water, put it on a pot holder on a table, put a towel over your head and lean over the water to catch the steam) helps unclog your nose.
  • Lots and lots and lots of water. Drink tons of it. The extra water will loosen up the mucus.

For the sore throat:

• Cycle between Ibuprofen and acetametaphin (Tylenol) if it gets really bad. 2 of one, then a few hours later 2 of the other.
  • Gargle with salt water. This'll help kill the germs that are making a home in your throat.
  • Drink warm/hot tea with honey and lemon. Both of those kill germs.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:03:09 am »
What to do about my headache or cough. I'm very, very tired also.

Ideas?

(Standard herbalism and interweb medical advice disclaimers apply.)

Infections like that usually drain your body of water-soluble vitamins, so I'd recommend taking vitamin C, which you can get from citrus fruits (and citrus fruits make most throats feel velvety, so extra plus!) Also, vitamin B. And water, of course. They won't cure the cause, but they might alleviate the energy drain a little.

Cherry bark tea is supposed to relax the muscles that cause coughs. The thing is, your muscles are spasming into coughs for a reason-- your body wants that junk out. If it were a dry cough-- or, yes, in this case you're coughing so hard that you can't sleep-- then, this might do you some good.

I found that a cup of strong ginger tea feels good to the throat, but personally does a number on my intestines. Ginger sweets were more effective to me than ginger drinks (or, for that matter, lozenges marketed as cough drops) for this reason.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:06:29 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Need remedies!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:12:30 am »
Quote from: mlr52;85154
What were you doing Thursday night, Friday morning? What did you eat, drink or breath in?

I don't remember stuff like that lol. I'm busy all the time. Six kids, three dogs, two cats. But I usually get bronchitis twice a year but That's not the case right now.

Tylenol and ibuprofen do absolutely nothing for pain of any kind for me.

I will try the cherry bark. My cough was icky but now It's dry. But It's a lot of coughing. If I breathe in too deep or too fast it makes my chest hurt and I start coughing. I'm actually surprised I haven't busted blood vessels in my face.

I'm also anemic which doesn't help with tiredness. But neither does getting three hours of sleep.

Idk

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:02:12 pm »
Quote from: Sage;85156
Plenty. You have described my recurring illness I get a few times every year as far back as I can remember. For the congestion:

For the sore throat:

• Cycle between Ibuprofen and acetametaphin (Tylenol) if it gets really bad. 2 of one, then a few hours later 2 of the other.
    • Gargle with salt water. This'll help kill the germs that are making a home in your throat.
  • Drink warm/hot tea with honey and lemon. Both of those kill germs[/I][/B].

bolding mine - If you can get hyssop tea, I found it's very good for hard coughs. A little honey and let it steep about 5 min.

Phouka

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »

Water.  Water.  Water.  I can't emphasize that enough.  I like to take mine in boiling form, with a thick slice of lime.  If nothing else, it helps thin mucus, making it easier to breathe.

Brina

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Need remedies!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;85239
Water.  Water.  Water.  I can't emphasize that enough.  I like to take mine in boiling form, with a thick slice of lime.  If nothing else, it helps thin mucus, making it easier to breathe.

Brina

Today is the 26th and this crap is still going on. Despite everything. I'm fixing time have my first cup of hyssop tea with honey. I hope It's not gag worthy. I really don't know how I haven't busted blood vessels with this coughing. I also ended up at the er because I had a headache non stop for 8 days. I got some pills in a cup, and two shots and sent on my way. My headache was gone all of 12 hours. Ugh.

Tags: