Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Academic Books on Pantheons  (Read 4249 times)

DomesticWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://lifeofadomesticwitch.blogspot.com/
Academic Books on Pantheons
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:17 am »
I've done very little research into the gods and goddesses of different patheons and I'm always wary of information within Pagan books on them. I'd like some sort of academic works on the different pantheons, the myths that surround them and their history. I was hoping someone here could recommend some books for me :)

(Any pantheons, I dont have a particular interest at the moment)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Books on Pantheons
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »
Quote from: DomesticWitch;6480
I've done very little research into the gods and goddesses of different patheons and I'm always wary of information within Pagan books on them. I'd like some sort of academic works on the different pantheons, the myths that surround them and their history. I was hoping someone here could recommend some books for me :)

Egyptian Mythology; A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch.  It is published by Oxford University Press.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:15:12 pm »

I really only know about AE.. sooooo....

The Complete Gods and Goddesses of AE: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gods-Goddesses-Ancient-Egypt/dp/0500051208/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311178473&sr=8-2

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »
I was hoping someone here could recommend some books for me :)

The Lore of Ireland: An Encyclopaedia of Myth, Legend and Romance by Dáithí Ó hÓgáin. I'd highly recommend that one for an academic dissection of Irish deities, and another plus is that it's a thorough encyclopaedia of Irish myth, and folklore(including Christian) if interested in the traditional culture.
Semper Fidelis

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »

Ancient Egyptian:

Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses and Traditions of AE by Geraldine Pinch
The Complete Gods and Goddesses of AE by Richard Wilkinson
Egyptian Myths by George Hart
A Dictionary of AE Gods and Goddesses by George Hart

Orisa:
Black Gods: A Study of the Orisa in the New World by John Mason

Heathen:
Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:18:23 pm »

For Norse Myth:

Dictionary of Northern Mythology is a great book. Simek describes the gods, their relations to the myths and events; concepts of salvation, law, peace; death cults, burial methods, etc.

It's obviously not a chapter book and doesn't narrate the myths per se, but in each entry there are sources cited that will give you a great list if you want to research a particular topic, myth, god, or hero further.

I read it page by page as often as I use it as a reference book. Chock full of info.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Ghost of the Navigator

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:19:28 am »

For academic works I will reference my The Ultimate Encylopedia of Mythology by Cotterell & Storm.  Doesn't go extremely in depth but cover the "highlights" for Gods and Goddesses aswell as covering several pantheons.  I picked it up for cheap from Barnes and Noble.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:13 am »
Quote from: Micheál;6559
The Lore of Ireland: An Encyclopaedia of Myth, Legend and Romance by Dáithí Ó hÓgáin.

Also, Miranda Green's books: The Gods of the Celts and Celtic Goddesses, and RJ Stewart's Celtic Gods, Celtic Goddesses.  Gods and Heroes of the Celts, by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt, is often on recommended reading lists.  I read it so long ago, I don't really remember it.  I'd start with one of the others first, then go to Sjoestedt.

Another idea is something like Don't Know Much About Mythology:  Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned, by Kenneth C. Davis.  It's an easy read and touches on a pretty wide variety of cultures and their god/desses.  Obviously, it doesn't go into a lot of detail on anything, but it could be a good place for you to start.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

DomesticWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://lifeofadomesticwitch.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:26:41 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;6743
Another idea is something like Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned, by Kenneth C. Davis. It's an easy read and touches on a pretty wide variety of cultures and their god/desses. Obviously, it doesn't go into a lot of detail on anything, but it could be a good place for you to start.

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:27:18 am by DomesticWitch »

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 02:40:11 pm »

For an easy but substantive read, I love Morford, Lenardon and Sham's Classical Mythology (Oxford U P).  It was designed as a textbook for college courses in the subject, and follows a clear progression of ideas.  It's in the ninth edition now, but earlier editions can be had more cheaply.  It's really an excellent investment, and one of the best introductory texts out there.

Garm

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »
I've done very little research into the gods and goddesses of different patheons and I'm always wary of information within Pagan books on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Comparative-Mythology-Jaan-Puhvel/dp/0801839386

And my favorite author all round

http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/lincoln-publications.shtml
"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone.  But they have always worked for me"
---Hunter S Thompson

Tags: