DomesticWitch is on a distinguished road DomesticWitch's Avatar
    Last Online
    10 Jun 2014 @ 10:40 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Wicca

Academic Books on Pantheons

I've done very little research into the gods and goddesses of different patheons and I'm always wary of information within Pagan books on them. I'd like some sort of academic works on the different pantheons, the myths that surround them and their history. I was hoping someone here could recommend some books for me

(Any pantheons, I dont have a particular interest at the moment)

Staff
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Words Mean Things; Kemetic God-Slave; FlameKeeper; Reluctant Mystic; Hmtadpmt
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: Academic Books on Pantheons

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticWitch View Post
    I've done very little research into the gods and goddesses of different patheons and I'm always wary of information within Pagan books on them. I'd like some sort of academic works on the different pantheons, the myths that surround them and their history. I was hoping someone here could recommend some books for me

Egyptian Mythology; A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch. It is published by Oxford University Press.
    Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
    Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
    "I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
    "...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Devo is on a distinguished road Devo's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Sep 2014 @ 09:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

I really only know about AE.. sooooo....

The Complete Gods and Goddesses of AE: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gods-...1178473&sr=8-2

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ | WP

Created Album pictures1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Micheál will become famous soon enough Micheál's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Country
    Ireland
    Religion
    Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism

I was hoping someone here could recommend some books for me
    The Lore of Ireland: An Encyclopaedia of Myth, Legend and Romance by Dáithí Ó hÓgáin. I'd highly recommend that one for an academic dissection of Irish deities, and another plus is that it's a thorough encyclopaedia of Irish myth, and folklore(including Christian) if interested in the traditional culture.
    Semper Fidelis
    You can also find me in my much neglected blog

Three Friends1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    SatAset is on a distinguished road SatAset's Avatar
    Last Online
    25 Nov 2014 @ 03:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Orthodox, Northern Tradition, Orisha devotee

Ancient Egyptian:

Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses and Traditions of AE by Geraldine Pinch
    The Complete Gods and Goddesses of AE by Richard Wilkinson
    Egyptian Myths by George Hart
    A Dictionary of AE Gods and Goddesses by George Hart

Orisa:
    Black Gods: A Study of the Orisa in the New World by John Mason

Heathen:
    Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
    I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy. --SatAset

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Juniperberry is a jewel in the rough Juniperberry is a jewel in the rough Juniperberry is a jewel in the rough Juniperberry's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Heathenry & Whimsy.

For Norse Myth:

Dictionary of Northern Mythology is a great book. Simek describes the gods, their relations to the myths and events; concepts of salvation, law, peace; death cults, burial methods, etc.

It's obviously not a chapter book and doesn't narrate the myths per se, but in each entry there are sources cited that will give you a great list if you want to research a particular topic, myth, god, or hero further.

I read it page by page as often as I use it as a reference book. Chock full of info.

Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Ghost of the Navigator is on a distinguished road Ghost of the Navigator's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Jul 2012 @ 11:12 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Learning,Evolving,Studying

For academic works I will reference my The Ultimate Encylopedia of Mythology by Cotterell & Storm. Doesn't go extremely in depth but cover the "highlights" for Gods and Goddesses aswell as covering several pantheons. I picked it up for cheap from Barnes and Noble.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Aster Breo is a glorious beacon of light Aster Breo is a glorious beacon of light Aster Breo is a glorious beacon of light Aster Breo is a glorious beacon of light Aster Breo is a glorious beacon of light Aster Breo's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Clann Bhride

Quote Originally Posted by Micheál View Post
    Also, Miranda Green's books: The Gods of the Celts and Celtic Goddesses, and RJ Stewart's Celtic Gods, Celtic Goddesses. Gods and Heroes of the Celts, by Marie-Louise Sjoestedt, is often on recommended reading lists. I read it so long ago, I don't really remember it. I'd start with one of the others first, then go to Sjoestedt.

Another idea is something like Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned, by Kenneth C. Davis. It's an easy read and touches on a pretty wide variety of cultures and their god/desses. Obviously, it doesn't go into a lot of detail on anything, but it could be a good place for you to start.
    "The status is not quo." ~ Dr. Horrible

Senior Apprentice
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    DomesticWitch is on a distinguished road DomesticWitch's Avatar
    Last Online
    10 Jun 2014 @ 10:40 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Wicca

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Breo View Post
    Another idea is something like Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned, by Kenneth C. Davis. It's an easy read and touches on a pretty wide variety of cultures and their god/desses. Obviously, it doesn't go into a lot of detail on anything, but it could be a good place for you to start.
    Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone!!
    Last edited by DomesticWitch; 21 Jul 2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo

Staff Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6 is a splendid one to behold catja6's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Nov 2014 @ 08:59 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheist

For an easy but substantive read, I love Morford, Lenardon and Sham's Classical Mythology (Oxford U P). It was designed as a textbook for college courses in the subject, and follows a clear progression of ideas. It's in the ninth edition now, but earlier editions can be had more cheaply. It's really an excellent investment, and one of the best introductory texts out there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast