Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Climate Change: Is an Ice Age Coming Soon?  (Read 3662 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Climate Change: Is an Ice Age Coming Soon?
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »
With all global warming stuff today, it's easy to forget that in the 1960s the climate change prediction was for a new ice age soon. According to some Swedish scientists, a new age looks like it may still be coming, just somewhat delayed by human activity.

"We are probably entering a new ice age right now. However, we're not  noticing it due to the effects of carbon dioxide," says Professor of  Physical Geography Lars FranzĂ©n, from the Department of Earth Sciences  at Gothenburg uni.

Read the Article

Note: This is not evidence that no climate change is occurring, just that the change may be a roller-coaster ride of warmer, then colder.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Change: Is an Ice Age Coming Soon?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;82650
With all global warming stuff today, it's easy to forget that in the 1960s the climate change prediction was for a new ice age soon. According to some Swedish scientists, a new age looks like it may still be coming, just somewhat delayed by human activity.

Read the Article

Note: This is not evidence that no climate change is occurring, just that the change may be a roller-coaster ride of warmer, then colder.

Which brings into serious question as to whether man's activities have any significant impact; or if the called for major changes in CO2 output might make things worse, ie major cooling.  See Fallen Angels by Niven, Pournelle.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:39:43 pm »
Quote from: sailor;82656
Which brings into serious question as to whether man's activities have any significant impact; or if the called for major changes in CO2 output might make things worse, ie major cooling.  See Fallen Angels by Niven, Pournelle.

I guess it depends on what you consider significant. The scientists here seem to be saying that the reason we have no seen signs of the Ice Age by now is because of the extra CO2 we are putting in the atmosphere. If true that would still be a significant impact, at least IMHO.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;82700
I guess it depends on what you consider significant. The scientists here seem to be saying that the reason we have no seen signs of the Ice Age by now is because of the extra CO2 we are putting in the atmosphere. If true that would still be a significant impact, at least IMHO.

I poorly communicated my point.  

The extra CO2 has either no significant effect (or at least over the decade time frame) or has held off the Ice Age.

Cutting the CO2, if it's been holding off the Ice Age, could drop us into an Ice Age.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:18 pm »
Quote from: sailor;82703
I poorly communicated my point.  

The extra CO2 has either no significant effect (or at least over the decade time frame) or has held off the Ice Age.

Cutting the CO2, if it's been holding off the Ice Age, could drop us into an Ice Age.

If an "ice age" is the opposite of a warming period, which brings with it horrendously exaggerated weather patterns and catastrophic storms around the world, then bring this ice age thing on, which, being the opposite, should at least have an ameliorating and homogenizing effect, yeah?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »
Quote from: Maps;82721
If an "ice age" is the opposite of a warming period, which brings with it horrendously exaggerated weather patterns and catastrophic storms around the world, then bring this ice age thing on, which, being the opposite, should at least have an ameliorating and homogenizing effect, yeah?

I am more concerned about "If we're getting this much of a warming effect with an ice age coming through to moderate it, how boned are we really?"
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:21:43 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;82787
I am more concerned about "If we're getting this much of a warming effect with an ice age coming through to moderate it, how boned are we really?"

Yeah idk I'm kind of resigned to the fact that not too many people give a shit about that question and won't until consequences come and take a big, steaming dump on their face. Because almighty capitalism takes precedence over everything or whatever.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:03 am »

That's certainly a question that needs to be asked. However, if we are entering another ice age, some of the warming may be natural (i.e. not caused by humans) as a temperature rise is apparently common at the very start of an ice age.

I don't have a "position" here, but I've always wondered what happened to the "next ice age soon" bit being predicted in the 1960s. The evidence was pretty good (even though it provoked much doom and gloom talk from folks who had no idea about reality who thought glaciers would be covering Europe and North America by the year 2000). Therefore I find this science very interesting.
Randall

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:52:27 am »
With all global warming stuff today, it's easy to forget that in the 1960s the climate change prediction was for a new ice age.

I remember that being the big thing in the 70's, and have often wonderwed what happened to that idea

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:29:48 am »
Quote from: Dragonoake;82869
I remember that being the big thing in the 70's, and have often wonderwed what happened to that idea

That's a big part of the skepticism on Global Warming. The same solutions are being offered for a AGW as were offered for new ice age - lots of govt control, lots of transfer of wealth from first world countries to 3rd world countries.

Throw in serious questions about the actual science and the people calling for changes not acting like change is going to happen and you get the public fighting back.

woodhick

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:06:39 am »
Quote from: Maps;82721

we are in an ice age now, but we will never know when it started or when it will end because we (as in this generation of humans) will not live that long.

Everything that is happening now, has happened in the past climate wise though it is common belief that we as humans have accelerated effects/processes. All ice ages have warming periods (global warming) and cold periods (global cooling)and changes of weather patterns (el nino, la nina, etc). The magnetic pole is constantly moving creating a lot of this, and it will always be. We just happen to be living in a time when the changes can be monitored and recorded, so we see them. And we are smart enough to look at the data and know what it means. In most instances though, we are also dumb enough to not look at geologic history (or any history for that matter) to help with the understanding of what is going on.  We, as a race, are also dumb enough to not listen to the people who can understand the data and often chide them for reporting results. It is worrisome that the human race has been able to accelerate a natural process through how we live. That is all we did though was accelerate it, not start it.
Where the wild things are is where I am most at home." - Kim Antieau

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »

On the plus side, we'll finally have a use for spent nuclear fuel.  Use it to generate baseline heat for geothermal heating systems.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »

Read the Article

Not having read the above article or really paying a whole lot of attention to the science behind the climate change (for the record I do believe climate change is here and is causing some of these crazy storms), I don't know if I believe an ice age is on it's way in my lifetime.  I'm in Nebraska and this winter along with last year's winter have been pretty mild.  This year a smidge colder than last year (averaged 45* last year) but still not a lot of snow.  I remember 20 years ago when we moved here there would be tons of snow each year.  Not so much anymore. We've had 2 snow showers giving up about 1-2 inches each time.  But like I said, I haven't been keeping tabs on the climate change stuff.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It\'s not."  --Dr. Seuss
[/FONT][/I]

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:00 am »
Quote from: woodhick;93769
The magnetic pole is constantly moving creating a lot of this, and it will always be.

I can see a shift in the rotational axis, relative to the sun, driving a climate change; but what does the magnetic pole have to do with it?

Tags: