+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Climate Change: Is an Ice Age Coming Soon?

With all global warming stuff today, it's easy to forget that in the 1960s the climate change prediction was for a new ice age soon. According to some Swedish scientists, a new age looks like it may still be coming, just somewhat delayed by human activity.

"We are probably entering a new ice age right now. However, we're not noticing it due to the effects of carbon dioxide," says Professor of Physical Geography Lars Franzén, from the Department of Earth Sciences at Gothenburg uni.
    Read the Article

Note: This is not evidence that no climate change is occurring, just that the change may be a roller-coaster ride of warmer, then colder.

Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    sailor can only hope to improve sailor's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:09 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Jewish

Re: Climate Change: Is an Ice Age Coming Soon?

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    With all global warming stuff today, it's easy to forget that in the 1960s the climate change prediction was for a new ice age soon. According to some Swedish scientists, a new age looks like it may still be coming, just somewhat delayed by human activity.

Read the Article

Note: This is not evidence that no climate change is occurring, just that the change may be a roller-coaster ride of warmer, then colder.
    Which brings into serious question as to whether man's activities have any significant impact; or if the called for major changes in CO2 output might make things worse, ie major cooling. See Fallen Angels by Niven, Pournelle.

OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Which brings into serious question as to whether man's activities have any significant impact; or if the called for major changes in CO2 output might make things worse, ie major cooling. See Fallen Angels by Niven, Pournelle.
    I guess it depends on what you consider significant. The scientists here seem to be saying that the reason we have no seen signs of the Ice Age by now is because of the extra CO2 we are putting in the atmosphere. If true that would still be a significant impact, at least IMHO.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Jewish

I guess it depends on what you consider significant. The scientists here seem to be saying that the reason we have no seen signs of the Ice Age by now is because of the extra CO2 we are putting in the atmosphere. If true that would still be a significant impact, at least IMHO.
    I poorly communicated my point.

The extra CO2 has either no significant effect (or at least over the decade time frame) or has held off the Ice Age.

Cutting the CO2, if it's been holding off the Ice Age, could drop us into an Ice Age.

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    Maps will become famous soon enough Maps's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Apr 2013 @ 11:43 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Rain cultist

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I poorly communicated my point.

The extra CO2 has either no significant effect (or at least over the decade time frame) or has held off the Ice Age.

Cutting the CO2, if it's been holding off the Ice Age, could drop us into an Ice Age.
    If an "ice age" is the opposite of a warming period, which brings with it horrendously exaggerated weather patterns and catastrophic storms around the world, then bring this ice age thing on, which, being the opposite, should at least have an ameliorating and homogenizing effect, yeah?

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maps View Post
    If an "ice age" is the opposite of a warming period, which brings with it horrendously exaggerated weather patterns and catastrophic storms around the world, then bring this ice age thing on, which, being the opposite, should at least have an ameliorating and homogenizing effect, yeah?
    I am more concerned about "If we're getting this much of a warming effect with an ice age coming through to moderate it, how boned are we really?"
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    Maps will become famous soon enough Maps's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Apr 2013 @ 11:43 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Rain cultist

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhawk View Post
    I am more concerned about "If we're getting this much of a warming effect with an ice age coming through to moderate it, how boned are we really?"
    Yeah idk I'm kind of resigned to the fact that not too many people give a shit about that question and won't until consequences come and take a big, steaming dump on their face. Because almighty capitalism takes precedence over everything or whatever.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhawk View Post
    That's certainly a question that needs to be asked. However, if we are entering another ice age, some of the warming may be natural (i.e. not caused by humans) as a temperature rise is apparently common at the very start of an ice age.

I don't have a "position" here, but I've always wondered what happened to the "next ice age soon" bit being predicted in the 1960s. The evidence was pretty good (even though it provoked much doom and gloom talk from folks who had no idea about reality who thought glaciers would be covering Europe and North America by the year 2000). Therefore I find this science very interesting.
    Randall

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dragonoake is on a distinguished road Dragonoake's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Aug 2014 @ 01:30 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pantheist

With all global warming stuff today, it's easy to forget that in the 1960s the climate change prediction was for a new ice age.
    I remember that being the big thing in the 70's, and have often wonderwed what happened to that idea

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonoake View Post
    I remember that being the big thing in the 70's, and have often wonderwed what happened to that idea
    That's a big part of the skepticism on Global Warming. The same solutions are being offered for a AGW as were offered for new ice age - lots of govt control, lots of transfer of wealth from first world countries to 3rd world countries.

Throw in serious questions about the actual science and the people calling for changes not acting like change is going to happen and you get the public fighting back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast