Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Walk me through this MUX setup thing  (Read 3023 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Walk me through this MUX setup thing
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:47:08 pm »
So I finally (impelled by my current emotional need to spend a lot of time on TC, and the brokenness of my Flash) checked to see if there were any MUX clients in the Ubuntu Software Center (because the USC does the installing... I'm not up for much messing-about with installing by hand), and so they did, KildClient.

Now I need to know how to set the durn thing up.  It appears that I need to tell it both "host" and "port"?  The port to use is in the MUX FAQ; I take it all I'd enter in the client's box is the numbers?  And I suppose the host is ecauldron, but the FAQ says "ecauldron.net" so I'm wondering if that's still current.

Go ahead and tell me anything else you think I might need to know; I'm completely new to MUXing (having had NO Internet connection at the time of their heyday; I was strictly local dial-up BBSes) so I don't even know what I don't know.  The FAQ is useful but it's way out of date in a lot of places, and I don't know enough to tell what still applies and what has to be adjusted.  (F'ex, do I still email Randall to get my account set up - which the FAQ didn't tell me directly; I had to suss it out - or is that now Darkhawk's [or someone else's?] pigeon?)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Walk me through this MUX setup thing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:08:37 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;81836
Now I need to know how to set the durn thing up.  It appears that I need to tell it both "host" and "port"?  The port to use is in the MUX FAQ; I take it all I'd enter in the client's box is the numbers?  And I suppose the host is ecauldron, but the FAQ says "ecauldron.net" so I'm wondering if that's still current.

ecauldron.net 24201 is what I have in my address book for my client, so I'm assuming that works. ;)

Go ahead and tell me anything else you think I might need to know; I'm completely new to MUXing (having had NO Internet connection at the time of their heyday; I was strictly local dial-up BBSes) so I don't even know what I don't know.  

You ever play Zork or the Hitchhikers' Guide thing or the like?  MUXing is kind of like a cross between IRC and an Infocom game. ;)

The FAQ is useful but it's way out of date in a lot of places, and I don't know enough to tell what still applies and what has to be adjusted.  (F'ex, do I still email Randall to get my account set up - which the FAQ didn't tell me directly; I had to suss it out - or is that now Darkhawk's [or someone else's?] pigeon?)

Email Randall to get yourself a personal login.

Until you have a personal login, feel free to log in as a guest.  ('connect guest guest' at the login screen should do it.)  When you log in, you'll be put into an intro room that has a quick summary of the most basic commands for communication.  They're pretty straightforward, stuff like: '"blah' is the command to say "blah" to the room.  That's set up to give people a place to potentially familiarise themselves with the syntax where they won't lose the instructions to the occasional blithering that happens in chat.  Sometimes it even works!

When you enter the command 'out' from the intro room you'll be in the space where most of the chats happen, and can roll from there.

(You will probably be asked by the people in the chat whether you have a name to go by or if they should call you Fred.)

Uh.  I don't know how best to answer the general questions. :}
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:35:48 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;81839
ecauldron.net 24201 is what I have in my address book for my client, so I'm assuming that works. ;)

Okay, good - that means nothing I really needed was out of date.  But when the FAQ is making references to Cauldronites who were pretty well gone before I ever joined, or who weren't but whom I barely remember, it's best to double-check.

You ever play Zork or the Hitchhikers' Guide thing or the like?  MUXing is kind of like a cross between IRC and an Infocom game. ;)

No, but that part I do get, from multi-line dial-up BBSes with chatrooms (and other MUX-precursors).  It's the tech stuff about MUX-in-particular that I don't know.  My bad; I didn't even think to be clear about that.  (My very first, reflexive, move, when I find myself standing at the bottom of a learning curve, is to flail about - "when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout".  Near as I can tell, this raises energy which I then use to boost myself up the slope:).)

Gotcha - no change there, just intermittent talk about doing so.  Round Tuits are, as usual, on backorder.:)

Until you have a personal login, feel free to log in as a guest.  ('connect guest guest' at the login screen should do it.)

Ah, good - that's something I'd sussed out wrong; I had the impression that logging in as a guest was specifically a when-accessing-via-Flash thing.

When you log in, you'll be put into an intro room that has a quick summary of the most basic commands for communication.  They're pretty straightforward, stuff like: '"blah' is the command to say "blah" to the room.  That's set up to give people a place to potentially familiarise themselves with the syntax where they won't lose the instructions to the occasional blithering that happens in chat.  Sometimes it even works!

When you enter the command 'out' from the intro room you'll be in the space where most of the chats happen, and can roll from there.

I'll need to internalize the specifics, but from past experience that probably won't take too long; sounds like the generalities are pretty much SOP.

(You will probably be asked by the people in the chat whether you have a name to go by or if they should call you Fred.)

Heh... I b'lieve I knew about that (presumably from references to it in the forums).  But just as well to be reminded.

Uh.  I don't know how best to answer the general questions. :}

Well, you've covered everything I knew that I didn't know, and a bit more besides.  So, I think I'm good to go, and if it turns out I'm not, I'll come back with more specific questions.  (I'm really hyperconscious of, "if you don't ask, and be specific about it, you can't know; if you don't know, you can't make fully informed choices; if you don't do any of these things, you can't possibly get what you really want" just now, as you might imagine.)

Thanks!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:14:49 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;81839

Until you have a personal login, feel free to log in as a guest.  ('connect guest guest' at the login screen should do it.)  When you log in, you'll be put into an intro room that has a quick summary of the most basic commands for communication.

Used host/port info, logged in as guest (I only needed one iteration of the word), looked around, and, yep, SOP.  (That MUX program looks like it might have a wee bit of Citadel somewhere in its e-genes.  Or maybe just '90s social-net syntax so elegant and simple and usable that it was not only common then, it's still in use.)  Saved, checked to see if/how connecting worked when selecting a saved world (just fine), disconnected, and have emailed Randall.

Hopefully, "when he checks his mail first thing" is a time when Tuits are in stock; if not, I'm glad "guest" works.

I think I'm about set.

Thanks!

Sunflower

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:28:29 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;81836
And I suppose the host is ecauldron, but the FAQ says "ecauldron.net" so I'm wondering if that's still current.

It is. The CauldronMUX FAQ is pretty much up to date -- at least on the how to use the mux info. You should have your account info in email.

BTW, we have the ecauldron.com, the ecauldron.net and the ecauldron.org domains and each get used for different things.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:19:56 am »
Quote from: RandallS;81863
You should have your account info in email.

Awesome. Would you be willing to take care of mine as well? I sent my request by the proper channels months ago.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:27 am »
Quote from: cigfran;81882
Awesome. Would you be willing to take care of mine as well? I sent my request by the proper channels months ago.

I don't have a request for you. I've checked back through the beginning of this year, too. Either i did not get it or you send it a really long time ago. Send one by email and mention it here and I'll try to do it ASAP.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:37:27 am »
Quote from: RandallS;81896
I don't have a request for you. I've checked back through the beginning of this year, too. Either i did not get it or you send it a really long time ago. Send one by email and mention it here and I'll try to do it ASAP.

Hrmf. Rats. Ok... will do!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;81897
Hrmf. Rats. Ok... will do!

You should have an email by now.
Randall

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Walk me through this MUX setup thing
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:38 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;81915
You should have an email by now.

I do! Thanks :-)

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 07:07:41 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;81863
You should have your account info in email.

Yep, got it.  Thanks!

Sunflower

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;81944
Yep, got it.  Thanks!

You're welcome!
Randall

Tags: