Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 03:14:58 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Jack
[Today at 02:41:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 02:06:38 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 12:02:24 pm]

Author Topic: My First Steps  (Read 1182 times)

Ameiya

• View Profile
My First Steps
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:37:52 pm »
Hello there. I have had on and off  fascination with Wicca and Paganism since I was 12 years old. I recently rekindled my interest and I am starting to get a feeling that I am meant to practice. Like a feeling of being home.

I am faced with the common problem of not knowing where to start. I have begun meditating and daily nature walks to try to focus myself since I usually have my head up in the clouds. And I've been reading a lot and I'm getting a couple books tomorrow.

What are the next logical steps from me to take?

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: My First Steps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:33:04 pm »
Quote from: Ameiya;81769
Hello there. I have had on and off  fascination with Wicca and Paganism since I was 12 years old. I recently rekindled my interest and I am starting to get a feeling that I am meant to practice. Like a feeling of being home.

I am faced with the common problem of not knowing where to start. I have begun meditating and daily nature walks to try to focus myself since I usually have my head up in the clouds. And I've been reading a lot and I'm getting a couple books tomorrow.

Depends on where you want to go.

Are you interested in magical practice? Then start looking into that. Interested in forming a connection with one or more deities? Then research a few pantheons and see if there's a few names that speak to you.

Divination? Pick up some tarot or oracle cards. Or even try a pendulum, tea leaves, scrying, etc.

The possibilities are endless and that's what makes paganism so awesome. :)
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Ameiya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:58 pm »
Quote from: Shine;81797
Depends on where you want to go.

Are you interested in magical practice? Then start looking into that. Interested in forming a connection with one or more deities? Then research a few pantheons and see if there's a few names that speak to you.

Divination? Pick up some tarot or oracle cards. Or even try a pendulum, tea leaves, scrying, etc.

The possibilities are endless and that's what makes paganism so awesome. :)

So if I'm interested in practice I'm guessing the best thing to do would be start trying basic spells? What are some easy ones?

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »
Quote from: Ameiya;81829
So if I'm interested in practice I'm guessing the best thing to do would be start trying basic spells? What are some easy ones?

Not being a magic practitioner, I can't help much with that. But the Cauldron does have a Spell Grimoire. Perhaps start with a few of the simpler ones that don't require a lot of set up and go from there. (Someone more experienced in this topic will surely come along not long from now.)

Linky: Spell Grimoire Blog.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:25 am »
Quote from: Ameiya;81829

That depends on what you want the spell to do. Is it for protection, healing, banishing...

Also, there are lots of systems of magic out there. Are you more interested in folk magic, ceremonial magic, something else?

Some of these systems require a background in raising energy, focusing it toward a goal etc. Others rely on the innate power of the articles your using to create the spell.

There's more to consider, but I'll stop there for now.;)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:41 am »
Quote from: Ameiya;81769

I would start with making a list of everything you're interested in religion-wise. Ask yourself questions like:

• What makes me feel spiritual?
  • Do I believe in a divinity? What is he/she/it/they like? (Some Pagans don't deal with gods and goddesses at all, so it's okay if you don't either.)
  • Is there any culture or pantheon that draws me specifically?
  • How do I feel about things like magic, energy, and divination? (Some Pagans are all about these things; some Pagans don't touch on them at all.)
  • How much time do I realistically have to devote to practices?
  • What are my personal ethics? What do I believe makes a "good" person?

It's okay if some of your answers are "I don't know" or "I'm not sure if that's important." The idea is to get a spiritual blueprint for yourself, so you know what you are like. Once you have that figured out, start exploring paths that are more likely to fit your own beliefs, likes, and dislikes.

You mentioned Wicca specifically, which has its own array of practices, rituals, and beliefs (some which alter drastically between traditions). Do you know if you're interested in other Pagan traditions?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Ameiya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »
Quote from: Sage;81887
I would start with making a list of everything you're interested in religion-wise. Ask yourself questions like:

• What makes me feel spiritual?
  • Do I believe in a divinity? What is he/she/it/they like? (Some Pagans don't deal with gods and goddesses at all, so it's okay if you don't either.)
  • Is there any culture or pantheon that draws me specifically?
  • How do I feel about things like magic, energy, and divination? (Some Pagans are all about these things; some Pagans don't touch on them at all.)
  • How much time do I realistically have to devote to practices?
  • What are my personal ethics? What do I believe makes a "good" person?

It's okay if some of your answers are "I don't know" or "I'm not sure if that's important." The idea is to get a spiritual blueprint for yourself, so you know what you are like. Once you have that figured out, start exploring paths that are more likely to fit your own beliefs, likes, and dislikes.

You mentioned Wicca specifically, which has its own array of practices, rituals, and beliefs (some which alter drastically between traditions). Do you know if you're interested in other Pagan traditions?

Thank you for the questions. I know I have to think some of them over.

I've looked at other branches of Paganism like Druidism and I don't feel as much of a connection to it as I do to Wicca. Also I am really drawn to Greek pantheon but I don't believe in divinity.

KuroiTenshi

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:47:56 am »
I would start with making a list of everything you're interested in religion-wise.
I agree with Sage, however as you doing that you can start things just as visualization, meditation, and following the sabbath or esbat. I saw following the Sabbaths because they are 8 of them in a year and it gives you something to look forward to. Hope this helps.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 01:30:29 am »
Quote from: KuroiTenshi;81989
I agree with Sage, however as you doing that you can start things just as visualization, meditation, and following the sabbath or esbat. I saw following the Sabbaths because they are 8 of them in a year and it gives you something to look forward to. Hope this helps.

Isn't it Sabbat?

Otherwise, this sounds like a good suggestion. At the very least, the OP will get to celebrate some fun stuff.

KuroiTenshi

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »
Quote from: Shine;81991
Isn't it Sabbat?.

Yes Yes it is LOL ^_^

tophathaiku

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »
I would start with making a list of everything you're interested in religion-wise. Ask yourself questions

Sage has a really great suggestion. Grab a notebook and start planning where you would like to go.  What interests you the most?  Herbs, stones, moon lore, various cultures?  Write it all down.  Also, jot down your experience if you ever get around to performing rituals.  It will be invaulable to you later to see where you need improvement or to see how far you've progressed.

Tags: