collapse

Author Topic: A World Without Christianity  (Read 8352 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
A World Without Christianity
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:44:06 pm »
I have recently been lurking on Alternate History.com and it sort of gave me this idea for a thought experiment.

What if Christianity never caught on?  What if it remained a Jewish sect or never began in the first place?

What would the ancient religions of old have evolved into if they were allowed to continue?

Would another mystery cult just take the same place as our timeline's Christianity?

What do you think this would would be like?  Would it be better, worse, or about the same?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: A World Without Christianity
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:14:12 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;81673
I have recently been lurking on Alternate History.com and it sort of gave me this idea for a thought experiment.

What if Christianity never caught on?  What if it remained a Jewish sect or never began in the first place?

What would the ancient religions of old have evolved into if they were allowed to continue?

Would another mystery cult just take the same place as our timeline's Christianity?

What do you think this would would be like?  Would it be better, worse, or about the same?

I'm thinking it would probably be about the same. People are people and if people have an excuse to start wars over nothing (for instance) they'll start wars over nothing regardless of religion. I think we would have kids rebelling against the Pagan faith of their parents, and we'd be going to temples instead of going to churches. I honestly don't think that much would change at all, except, well, everything. :)

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:17:03 pm »

Off the top of my pointed head:

We'd still have Hinduism and Buddhism, of course. I wonder, though, what would Islam look like? As another religion of the Book, I mean. Would Mohammad take the place of Christ for non-Muslims? (I'm not sure how to say what I'm thinking, along that line. I know what I mean, but words aren't cooperating at the moment.)

And what about the shape of the world without any of the Crusades having been fought?
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »

Hmm.  If it had remained a Jewish sect, it would have mostly faded out.  Some of the concepts of social justice might have stayed. I suspect the big change would be that to become Christian would have remained with having to become Jewish first.

Judaism would have likely become 20% or more of the population of the Roman Empire.

I suspect that Islam would never have happened.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »
What if Christianity never caught on?

A better way to ask this is what if the Church were never established.  No Councils held, no Creeds agreed upon, no Kings intervening to help define it (and thus granting it political legitimacy.)  European history would look a whole lot different; hell, so would the US Constitution.  
Christianity would still have flourished but without the weight of a massive body pushing an official version.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:31:19 pm »
Quote from: Starglade;81680

I wonder, though, what would Islam look like? As another religion of the Book, I mean. Would Mohammad take the place of Christ for non-Muslims? (I'm not sure how to say what I'm thinking, along that line. I know what I mean, but words aren't cooperating at the moment.)

I think there could be an Islam analog, but it wouldn't be Islam as we know it (it would be like Christianity without Moses).  Maybe instead of Christianity, a Mohammad analog would be influenced by Zoroastrianism.  Or maybe Zoroastrianism would take Islam's place.

And what about the shape of the world without any of the Crusades having been fought?

Depending on what the trade routes are like, the Age of Exploration could be delayed by a few years.  Then again. there would still be at least one middle man, so the Western European powers may want to find an alternate route to the East regardless.

My Spiritual Blog

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »

I like this thought experiment.

Just to throw a couple of things out there: the Roman Empire would not have become the Holy Roman Empire, remaining Pagan.  This would have made an enormous difference in the future of Central and Western Europe.  In West Asia and Eastern Europe, there would also not be the Orthodox Churches.  So there would have been no missionaries to East Asia, Africa, or Christian immigrants to Australia and the Americas.

The result looks to me like a completely different civilization.  No idea how it might have turned out.  Good question though, I enjoyed working it out a little.
"The Author of all things watches over me, and I have a fine horse."  Mattie Ross, True Grit.

Wintersong

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;81679
I'm thinking it would probably be about the same. People are people and if people have an excuse to start wars over nothing (for instance) they'll start wars over nothing regardless of religion. I think we would have kids rebelling against the Pagan faith of their parents, and we'd be going to temples instead of going to churches. I honestly don't think that much would change at all, except, well, everything. :)

On a social level, I completely agree with this.  

I think a broader question that would add to this is weather the thriving pagan religions would stick with their oral traditions of lore, as opposed to the written doctrine that became so pivotal in Christianity/Judaism/Islam.  I think that oral traditions allow good wisdom to be passed down through generations, while allowing the religions to be more flexible with their societies.  Basically, if they remained widely practiced religions, would they have evolved into something entirely different anyway?
“All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone\'s feelings.”
― Denis Diderot

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:28:31 pm »
Quote from: Wintersong;81704
Basically, if they remained widely practiced religions, would they have evolved into something entirely different anyway?

Of course they would have; everything changes and often profoundly.

Unitarian Universalism exists in a pretty straightforward line of descent from the Puritans.  That's the real world.  Hypotheticals might be even weirder.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »
Quote from: Wintersong;81704

I think a broader question that would add to this is weather the thriving pagan religions would stick with their oral traditions of lore, as opposed to the written doctrine that became so pivotal in Christianity/Judaism/Islam.  I think that oral traditions allow good wisdom to be passed down through generations, while allowing the religions to be more flexible with their societies.

Well, writing down lore wasn't exclusive to the Abrahamic faiths -- the Greeks and Romans did as well.  I think that eventually myths and lore would be written down by someone.

Basically, if they remained widely practiced religions, would they have evolved into something entirely different anyway?

Let me put it this way: The Christianity of the 1800's wasn't exactly the same as the Christianity of the 800's.  Religions are not static and they do tend to change with time.  Two thousand years would make a huge difference, but I think the larger ones could be somewhat recognizable.

My Spiritual Blog

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:56:29 pm »

I am sure that human greed and the kyriachy would have found a place to flourish and take root, but at the same time, it's pretty awesome to think of a world where religiously-motivated colonialism, imperialism, and cultural superiority didn't, y'know, destroy entire swaths of indigenous peoples and their languages, religions, and worldviews.

Like. A world without Manifest Destiny. Or the massive conversions of [insert ANY CULTURE HERE EVER]. Or cultural genocides. Or, or, or...
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:22 pm »
Quote from: Sage;81710
I am sure that human greed and the kyriachy would have found a place to flourish and take root, but at the same time, it's pretty awesome to think of a world where religiously-motivated colonialism, imperialism, and cultural superiority didn't, y'know, destroy entire swaths of indigenous peoples and their languages, religions, and worldviews.

Like. A world without Manifest Destiny. Or the massive conversions of [insert ANY CULTURE HERE EVER]. Or cultural genocides. Or, or, or...

I'd think that it would have been political power motivated colonialism, desire for slaves, and intentional destruction of indigenous peoples. Christianity was a moderating influence.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »
Quote from: sailor;81711
I'd think that it would have been political power motivated colonialism, desire for slaves, and intentional destruction of indigenous peoples. Christianity was a moderating influence.

It's important to remember that Rome was conquest happy while still Pagan. Jussayin.

Interesting thought experiment. I think the cultural flavor of our world would change to some degree but religion functions/ed as an excuse for colonialism etc. not necessarily a core motivator in and of itself. Conquest and colonial expansion would still have occurred just the veneer used to 'civilize' it would have changed or hell still been religion just a different one.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:01:24 am »
Quote from: Starglade;81680
Off the top of my pointed head:

We'd still have Hinduism and Buddhism, of course. I wonder, though, what would Islam look like? As another religion of the Book, I mean. Would Mohammad take the place of Christ for non-Muslims? (I'm not sure how to say what I'm thinking, along that line. I know what I mean, but words aren't cooperating at the moment.)

Muhammad would not take the place of Christ because he was not posited either as the Messiah or divine.  For Muslims, Jesus is still the Messiah, though they doctrinally deny his divinity as insufficiently monotheistic.
Islam as we know it, though, probably would not exist, even with a similar Muhammad similarly inspired to build on the Jewish tradition: the early Muslim community was persecuted and militarily engaged by their much more numerous and powerful Arab pagan neighbors and relatives, and almost certainly would not have survived if they had not been able to flee to shelter under the protection of a Christian king in Abyssinia who was impressed by their faith and its likeness to his own.

Still: as Abrahamic monotheisms go, we might still have the Sabaeans, who faded away.  We might still have Rastafari.  Zoroastrianism probably would have remained a powerhouse.  It's hard to say.

I have often toyed with the idea that if the Byzantine Empire hadn't had Christianity to use as a state religion and the inspirational imagery of a confessional religion to use, like that, that might have tipped to balance in the war to the Persian Empire, and then the world might be very, very different indeed.  But then, I've also, as alternate history goes, spent a goodly while imagining what would have happened if Publius Cornelius Scipio hadn't survived the Battle of Ticinus or the Battle of Cannae.  Imagine a Western world whose dominant founding power wasn't Rome, but Phoenician Carthage.  Imagine a very, very different relationship between Europe and the Americas, for one.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 04:37:31 am »
Quote from: Valentine;81724
Zoroastrianism probably would have remained a powerhouse.  

Entirely possible if it avoided persecution.  If we go with the thought that Christianity's absence coincides with an absence of Islam, the likelihood of Z's survival goes up a few points.  

As an aside: what of the cult of Mithras?  I've seen it written that the Mithraic cult was a rival of the early Christian religion, and that the ascendancy of the latter was no more than an accident of incidents.  Thoughts?
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: