Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Advice on getting started in practice?  (Read 2991 times)

Ursula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Advice on getting started in practice?
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:00:11 pm »
I am a beginner, and I would like some advice.  

Ok, it is really difficult to find the words, so maybe I start with what I know already, and then come to the blank space.  :o

My personal opinions about spiritual beings and what I 'believe in' in the very broadest sense can best be read here: http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?146-Deism-theism-panentheism-combinations-thereof/page3 (post #22).

Also for many years I have practiced some simple forms of magic (mainly candle and knot magic).  I also have some basic knowledge of herbs (in the medicinal, rather than magical, sense) and divination (runes and tarot - although I am not a 'serious practitioner' of either; more serious than a 'dabbler' but I have not made such deep study as some).  All of these together, for me come under a very generic heading of 'witchcraft' - not a religion at all, but more of a general practice of certain crafts.

I have researched into Wicca and feel affinity with some of its aspects but not all of them.  To follow Wicca is not for me.  (I mean British Traditional Wicca; perhaps some 'neo' or 'eclectic' form of Wicca might suit me better, but I do not think so.)

I have a seed of a relationship with the goddess Hathor from the Egyptian pantheon, but not with any other being from that pantheon (except possibly Sekhmet, but it is waaaay too early to see how that is going to shape up, if at all).  I have done a little of research on some (seem to be) pretty good websites, that have some prayers/devotionals to Her and some info.  I have no ancestral, cultural or other personal contact with Egypt at all, nor any interest (no disrespect meant at all) in the Kemetic path or pantheon and do not want to run the risk of 'appropriating', in a bad way.

Spiritually I also have a pretty good relationship with the Archangel Michael, who puts up with a lot but keeps me on my toes. :D  (I am not one for fluffy or glamourous angels that is for sure!)

Ok, so this is all very well, but my question, frustrating from me...  I want to actually DO something!  I mean, some form of practice.  And I really don't have a clue where to start.  I feel like I should start with Hathor, but I keep running up against a blank wall.  I think "a ritual... an offering... a devotion..." but it's like I could just pick any of those things out of a hat and decide to pick it up and run with it, just to get started, but I feel like there should be a reason for it, not just something I've randomly chosen to do.  Perhaps I'm not making any sense, or just overthinking things?  Perhaps I need some kind of validation from someone who knows what they are doing, so that I won't feel like an idiot?  :o:confused:

If I was to say a devotional, are there any short ones anyone can recommend?  The prayers to Hathor that I have found seem to be quite long.  And I don't know whether that's what she wants from me... or even an offering... I know people say to try different things and they will eventually find out what is pleasing to their deity and I have seen ideas on websites so it is not like I am clueless what to offer, but again would just feel like I was picking at random and shooting in the dark...

What would people recommend is best for a short, discreet daily practice for a beginner?

(When I say 'discreet', I mean I share a small house with my husband so it would not be practical to make a full-on, takes-up-the-whole-room skyclad-drum-beating-and-chanting ritual every day!  He is a Pagan himself, of an eclectic-neo-Wiccish-type persuasion, but he practices one a week rather than daily.)

Morgan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on getting started in practice?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:03 am »
Quote from: Ursula;6205
I am a beginner, and I would like some advice.  

Ok, it is really difficult to find the words, so maybe I start with what I know already, and then come to the blank space.  :o

My personal opinions about spiritual beings and what I 'believe in' in the very broadest sense can best be read here

Also for many years I have practiced some simple forms of magic (mainly candle and knot magic).  I also have some basic knowledge of herbs (in the medicinal, rather than magical, sense) and divination (runes and tarot - although I am not a 'serious practitioner' of either; more serious than a 'dabbler' but I have not made such deep study as some).  All of these together, for me come under a very generic heading of 'witchcraft' - not a religion at all, but more of a general practice of certain crafts.

I have researched into Wicca and feel affinity with some of its aspects but not all of them.  To follow Wicca is not for me.  (I mean British Traditional Wicca; perhaps some 'neo' or 'eclectic' form of Wicca might suit me better, but I do not think so.)

I have a seed of a relationship with the goddess Hathor from the Egyptian pantheon, but not with any other being from that pantheon (except possibly Sekhmet, but it is waaaay too early to see how that is going to shape up, if at all).

Spiritually I also have a pretty good relationship with the Archangel Michael, who puts up with a lot but keeps me on my toes. :D  (I am not one for fluffy or glamourous angels that is for sure!)

What would people recommend is best for a short, discreet daily practice for a beginner?

Hello Ursula,
Don't worry about finding your path.  I am a pagan eclectic and it works for me.  At the moment I also work basic magick in the form of tarot, color, and candle.  

If you want more information on Hathor I recommend getting a book on her, whether it is just a guide on ancient Egypt or an in depth book on her.  

I do not know much about Hathor ( I mostly focus on the Greek Pantheon and Norse Pantheon) but I can recommend meditation.  You also said you like parts of Wicca,  why don't you try finding a Wiccan ritual that focuses mostly on the goddess.  Instead of using the goddess you can use Hathor.  Of course you might have to prune the ritual.

At the moment I am tight on money and I can't worship Artemis (my matron) properly.  I simply "talk" to her.  If I am in need of something (such as job) she so far as answered.  Every single time she granted my requests.  In return, I thank her and tell her when I am in a better money situation I will give her a proper offering.   Of course I don't ask her for petty things that I don't need. I doubt she will appreciate it.

Good luck!

Ursula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:04:57 pm »
Quote from: Morgan;6824
---

Hello, thank you Morgan for your advice! :)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »
Quote from: Ursula;6205

I can't speak to what is and isn't appropriate with regard to Hathor.  However, I'm wondering if you've asked Her how She wants you to proceed.  If not, you might consider starting there.

I'm sure there are TC members who can advise you about prayers to/for Hathor.  But there are a couple of books that might also help:  A Book of Pagan Prayer and A Pagan Ritual Prayer Book, both by Ceisiwr Serith.  They include excellent info on different kinds and methods of prayer and how to construct a prayer and/or a ritual, as well as easily adaptable examples.  You can also find info and a few examples of different rituals and prayers on Serith's website, but the books are much more comprehensive and well worth the investment, IMO.

As for a short, daily, beginner practice, many of us got started by simply lighting a candle or oil lamp and spending some time opening our minds to the Divine.  It might take a little while and several tries, but you might find that simply reaching out -- whether to a specific god/dess or to a general concept of Divinity -- is all it takes to begin to feel connected.  A simple offering can help you begin to build that connection.

Offerings don't have to be complicated.  You can offer the flame of your candle, or something else, like a water/wine/beer libation or some incense or chocolate, or something you create, such as a poem, song, or drawing.  Or, if you're trying to connect with Hathor specifically, you can do a little research on what She likes and/or what was traditionally offered to Her.

I have a very basic daily devotional that I do in honor of Brighid.  Essentially, it includes lighting my oil lamp and saying a short prayer or sometimes a long prayer, depending on what's going on in my life. ;)  In addition, I occasionally offer chocolate, beer, milk, cream, cheese, bread, fruit, etc.  For a really big offering (one that I'm treating as a votive offering for something very important), I make donations to charities that work in areas important to Brighid, such as Solas Bhride, Heifer International, the Humane Society, and the ASPCA.

I know it sounds simplistic, but it really does work.  :)  

Good luck!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Ursula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:18 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;6840
[...]
I'm sure there are TC members who can advise you about prayers to/for Hathor.  But there are a couple of books that might also help:  A Book of Pagan Prayer and A Pagan Ritual Prayer Book, both by Ceisiwr Serith.  They include excellent info on different kinds and methods of prayer and how to construct a prayer and/or a ritual, as well as easily adaptable examples.  You can also find info and a few examples of different rituals and prayers on Serith's website, but the books are much more comprehensive and well worth the investment, IMO.

As for a short, daily, beginner practice, many of us got started by simply lighting a candle or oil lamp and spending some time opening our minds to the Divine.  It might take a little while and several tries, but you might find that simply reaching out -- whether to a specific god/dess or to a general concept of Divinity -- is all it takes to begin to feel connected.  A simple offering can help you begin to build that connection.[...]  For a really big offering (one that I'm treating as a votive offering for something very important), I make donations to charities that work in areas important to Brighid, such as Solas Bhride, Heifer International, the Humane Society, and the ASPCA.

Thank you for your help/advice!  :)

I have found http://www.hethert.org/ and http://www.hwt-hrw.com/ pretty useful so far, for starting information - and http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/ useful for suggestions of offerings.

I think I basically need to kick myself up the backside.  ;)

Tags: