Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Different Pantheons?  (Read 2274 times)

Emu

• View Profile
Different Pantheons?
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:30 am »
I'm conflicted about which pantheon I should worship. I'm really drawn to Celtic dieties and myths, but I also like Greek/Roman dieties. Is it possible to acknowledge both pantheons in worship? I can't imagine disregarding either one. Some advice?

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Different Pantheons?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:48:31 am »
Quote from: Emu;80083
I'm conflicted about which pantheon I should worship. I'm really drawn to Celtic dieties and myths, but I also like Greek/Roman dieties. Is it possible to acknowledge both pantheons in worship? I can't imagine disregarding either one. Some advice?

I have the same combination and it has worked OK. I don't mush them together into the same ritual; I just focus on my Celtic deities while I'm worshipping them, and on my Greek ones while I'm worshipping them.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:51:23 am »

Easy solution here, they were worshiped together for about five centuries in Gallo-Roman religion! I'd suggest getting a few books by Miranda Green to get the details. They tend to be dry, but if you read them closely you'll start to see a pattern as to which Celtic deities are paired with which Roman deities, when and why.

Emu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:57:09 am »
Quote from: Siren;80085
I have the same combination and it has worked OK. I don't mush them together into the same ritual; I just focus on my Celtic deities while I'm worshipping them, and on my Greek ones while I'm worshipping them.

:) That's good. I just get confused about when to worship who.

Emu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:59:02 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;80086
Easy solution here, they were worshiped together for about five centuries in Gallo-Roman religion! I'd suggest getting a few books by Miranda Green to get the details. They tend to be dry, but if you read them closely you'll start to see a pattern as to which Celtic deities are paired with which Roman deities, when and why.

They do complement each other nicely, I think :) Thanks for the advice. I'll have to find some books by her. I've been looking for Celtic mythology books, but they're hard to come by in bookstores...

Sarkana-night

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:09 am »

I believe it's possible to mix something together, I've heard about several people who did so, but not in the reconstructional way.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:10:51 am »

I worship one pantheon through its cultural structure, and I honor two others from another, though similar and regionally close, pantheon via the means of my original source. Syncretism happened all over the place in the old cultures, and worship of specific deities often traveled by trade as well. So you definitely can, it's not unprecedented at all if that's what you're looking for. There is also the eclectic lens you can look at this through that doesn't hinge so much on culture-specific praxis.

Schuyler

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »

I am a Celtic Polytheist, but I also honor Bast (Egypt) and Ganesh (India). However, I always do so separately, and I keep their images well away from the altar I use to honor the Celtic gods. I do this more out of respect than anything else.

Honoring Roman deities with those of the Celts, I see no problem with. As others have mentioned, the two may go quite nicely with one another-- Epona was originally a Gaullish goddess, but was later adopted by the Romans when they took over. As for other Celtic deities, the Romans associated them with their own gods—Belenus became associated with Apollo, and I believe Caesar associated Brighid with Minerva/Athena. Some people even associate Cernunnos with Pan, Bacchus, and Dionysus (though I am not sure how I feel about this part).

I would read up on the history of the British Isles to get a sense of how the Romans influenced the Celts. As others have mentioned, Miranda Green is a good place to start. I have not had a chance to read it yet, but “The Gods of Roman Britain” is on my reading list.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:39:30 am »
Quote from: Emu;80089
:) That's good. I just get confused about when to worship who.

There's no real rule to worshipping who you want. (Being in a group for public ritual may/would change this, however. But public worship != private worship) My base is Greco-Egyptian, but I give worship to a plethora of deities, including those who had no interaction with Greek and Egyptian ones before Christianity! Everything has worked out pretty well so far.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags: