Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: How to offer blood?  (Read 3856 times)

Willowe

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
How to offer blood?
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:42 pm »
Long story short, life got in the way of religion for awhile and I'm currently trying to get back into the swing of things. This includes making amends with a few gods I was honoring before. One in particular is giving me a strong vibe of wanting small blood offerings, and I just have a couple of questions about this:

-How does one go about offering blood in a safe, hygienic way?

-What do you do with the offering? Do you leave it on your altar, or offer it outside where it'll go directly to the earth?

-Right now I'm leaning towards somehow leaving it on my altar, because I'm living on a very busy college campus with no safe way to get to any natural place where I could do this in peace. But this would then mean having to clean it up after awhile, yes? How do you do this without it being offensive to the god in question? And furthermore, what would I offer it on in the first place?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't want to jump into something without knowing what I'm doing.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: How to offer blood?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:45:08 pm »
Quote from: Willowe;77851

I've heard that people use blood lancets that are used for medical testing. They are sterile and you aren't going to accidentally chop off a finger. Something like these.

-What do you do with the offering? Do you leave it on your altar, or offer it outside where it'll go directly to the earth?
If you decide to offer the blood outside, please just leave the blood, not the lancet or any other kind of waste.

-Right now I'm leaning towards somehow leaving it on my altar, because I'm living on a very busy college campus with no safe way to get to any natural place where I could do this in peace. But this would then mean having to clean it up after awhile, yes? How do you do this without it being offensive to the god in question? And furthermore, what would I offer it on in the first place?
You are going to want to clean it up before it attract ants, yes. I'm not sure what is the traditional way of disposing of blood offerings - I'm assuming the blood was spilled on the ground - and it would depend on the particular tradition the deity belongs to. There are other threads around here about how to properly dispose of offerings, however. The simplest would be to wrap the offering up and place it in the trash.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:01:48 am »
Long story short, life got in the way of religion for awhile and I'm currently trying to get back into the swing of things. This includes making amends with a few gods I was honoring before. One in particular is giving me a strong vibe of wanting small blood offerings, and I just have a couple of questions about this:

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't want to jump into something without knowing what I'm doing.

I agree, disposable lancets are the best way I've heard of to safely and hygienically get blood.  If it were me, I would probably use the blood to mark a piece of paper as an offering.  You could further decorate the paper or write other things on it as part of your offering.  The paper could be offered up on your altar for a while, then burnt, laid outside, buried, hung from a tree or whatever.

If I were to offer up blood in a bowl or other thing that would need cleaned after a while, I would decide ahead of time how long the offering would be left out for and include that in what I said as I made my offering (such as:  I offer up my blood in offering, which will be left here in your honor for three days).  At the end of the time, I would say a little something and then clean the item as a ritual action.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:07 am »

As suggested I use lancets.

--What do you do with the offering? Do you leave it on your altar, or offer it outside where it'll go directly to the earth?

I have rubbed blood on an item and I have put a couple drops in distilled water and left on the altar. You could place it in alcohol too if you wanted, like wine or vodka.

--Right now I'm leaning towards somehow leaving it on my altar, because I'm living on a very busy college campus with no safe way to get to any natural place where I could do this in peace. But this would then mean having to clean it up after awhile, yes? How do you do this without it being offensive to the god in question? And furthermore, what would I offer it on in the first place?

I used a small glass bowl with distilled water and put the drops in. I then poured it out a few hours later in the offering spot in the yard. I just washed the bowl out with soap. I have this for just this kind of thing and don't use it for much else though. If you don't have an altar you could use a shelf or the window sill.

Can't find out if you don't ask.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »

One thing I'd think about really carefully - above and beyond the advice people have shared - is about disposal, especially since you're living in a communal space.

In a dorm setting, people seeing a bit of blood may well freak - and there's some good reasons for that. (Hepatitis can linger for a surprisingly long time, for example.) And things like the dorm cleaning staff, or groundskeeping staff have to take a whole bunch of specific precautions if they're handling something that involves blood, even a very small amount.

So whatever method you use, thinking about the end outcome would be very important to me. (I've generally, when the blood isn't being used to charge an item, used a small scrap of cloth or cotton ball, and then when I'm ready to dispose of it, either burned it, buried it, or wrapped it up very carefully for disposal.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:49 pm »

I would also note that lancets draw a few drops of blood at the most, and that is not likely to draw attention, pests, or anything of the sort any more than nicking yourself shaving would.

Disposing the lancets themselves seems like it would be more of an issue to me. They're needles that prick the skin, and in any sort of medical context they would be disposed of in a designated sharps container. Throwing them in the garbage with the rest of the trash is very dangerous, especially if your roommates are unaware that you're using lancets to begin with. All it takes is someone rummaging through the trash to prick themselves with a used needle.

If this is going to be a recurring practice for you, I would highly recommend buying a sharps disposal container from a drugstore. If it's a one-off sacrifice, then it would be best to put the used lancet in another container, like a plastic bottle with a lid, before throwing it away.

Willowe

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »
Quote from: Maps;77928
Disposing the lancets themselves seems like it would be more of an issue to me.

Firstly, thank you so much for the advice everyone! I don't know why I didn't think of lancets in the first place myself, but thank you for the warnings about disposal (which I definitely never would have thought of). I'm not sure if this is going to be a recurring practice just yet, but if it is I'll definitely buy a sharps disposal container. I don't think my roommate would find them if I just threw the lancets out in our trash, but I definitely don't want the cleaning staff to get pricked or anything. :(

Quote from: Kylara;77889
If it were me, I would probably use the blood to mark a piece of paper as an offering.  You could further decorate the paper or write other things on it as part of your offering.  The paper could be offered up on your altar for a while, then burnt, laid outside, buried, hung from a tree or whatever.

Thank you for this suggestion! I actually think this might work best for me, at least with my current living situation, and I think it would be easier to ritually dispose of the paper than anything else.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:05:22 pm »

I have to say I am somewhat surprised that this question has gotten as many answers as it has over such a short time. I didn't think bloodletting was that common.

Personally I use a scalpel. I put blood onto strips of paper and then burn them. I'd try lancets, but I can't find a store that sells them, so I stick to the scalpel. As for hygiene; never let anyone else use your ritual tool.

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »

If you're a female you can use your menses. Have you heard of diva cups? And if you want to give back to nature you can buy a plant (or grow one) and mix the blood with water and water the plant.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:10:26 pm »
Quote from: Raven Rose;77992
If you're a female you can use your menses. Have you heard of diva cups? And if you want to give back to nature you can buy a plant (or grow one) and mix the blood with water and water the plant.

Menses, for me is more for spell work. I would use blood from the body for an offering.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »
Quote from: Ula;78001
Menses, for me is more for spell work. I would use blood from the body for an offering.

The other thing to consider with menstrual blood is that it's not a sacrifice. It's something a body is getting rid of anyway. Now, not all offerings have to be a sacrifice, but it's something to keep in mind.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 03:41:38 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;78002
The other thing to consider with menstrual blood is that it's not a sacrifice. It's something a body is getting rid of anyway. Now, not all offerings have to be a sacrifice, but it's something to keep in mind.

Mhhh... I actually had deities (Hekate and The Morrigan especifically) requesting that anyway. My theory is that menses is a cyclical 'little death' of uterus, from a medical/biological so it might retain a cthonic energy that is useful in ritual/offerings to some cthonic deities.

I generally go about using the blood either to anoint the shrine candle or diluiting a few drops in a bowl of water, so it can be poured out.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »
Quote from: Raven Rose;77992

I've used my monthly cycle as blood offerings as well.  I've a small cast iron cauldron on my altar specifically for this offering and I do thoroughly wash it out after a short while.  As the cauldron is covered, nobody really goes and looks inside...

Fleur

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 03:22:46 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;78116
I've used my monthly cycle as blood offerings as well.  I've a small cast iron cauldron on my altar specifically for this offering and I do thoroughly wash it out after a short while.  As the cauldron is covered, nobody really goes and looks inside...

I find this fascinating as I work with goddesses who historically have accepted blood offerings and like them. I'm too squeamish currently to go ahead, either with the lancet finger prick or menstrual blood, but I'm strongly considering it. I've heard that blood offerings not only please them but also give them energy and power, so when I'm asking for particularly difficult boons, I want to give blood offerings.

Has anyone else offered menstrual blood to the deities?

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »
Quote from: Waterbender;179098
I find this fascinating as I work with goddesses who historically have accepted blood offerings and like them. I'm too squeamish currently to go ahead, either with the lancet finger prick or menstrual blood, but I'm strongly considering it. I've heard that blood offerings not only please them but also give them energy and power, so when I'm asking for particularly difficult boons, I want to give blood offerings.

Has anyone else offered menstrual blood to the deities?

I donate blood three times a year as an offering to the Morrigan

I don't offer menstrual blood because as someone mentioned that's not a sacrifice as it's something the body is getting rid of anyway. (I also get a strong feeling that my gods wouldn't want it.) I do use it on my garden so I guess that's kind of an offering to the land spirits.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Tags: