Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Work Structure - Dark Flame  (Read 6166 times)

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Work Structure - Dark Flame
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:50:20 am »
Back in the SMF SIG we began putting together an optional work structure for FlameKeeping. You can read the whole thread here: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=16679.0 We hashed out the introduction part fairly well, so now I'd like to move onto the Dark Flame Arc.

Here's what I threw together before:
Arc 2 - Flame Work

Read through and complete a journal of Book 2
        Optional: discover what deities might help you with each Flame. (Deities for the Dark, deities for the Bright.)
        A. Dark Flame work.
            *Decide what particular dark flame work you need to do.
            *Set up an altar for this work. (optional - mostly just intended as a place to organize your tools, work, and thoughts.)
             *Work through it, keeping a journal along the way.
             *Health: Make 3 changes in your life that improve your health
             *Becoming more: Try new things, or revist things you haven't tried in a while.
Examples: Exercise/Sports, Art/Crafts, Music/Poetry

So, basically, I've got nothing so far! :(

To start, how does one go about deciding what Dark Flame work they need to do?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Work Structure - Dark Flame
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:12:19 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;5930
Back in the SMF SIG we began putting together an optional work structure for FlameKeeping. You can read the whole thread here: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=16679.0 We hashed out the introduction part fairly well, so now I'd like to move onto the Dark Flame Arc.

Here's what I threw together before:

So, basically, I've got nothing so far! :(

To start, how does one go about deciding what Dark Flame work they need to do?

I think for Dark Flame there needs to be internal and external *things* going on.  I'd do more one physical, one emotional, and one intellectual goal.  babystep for each.

Like "wash my hair regularly, stop saying nasty things about my weight, read that book about Greece that I've had on my nightstand forever"

Something that's concrete, that you can keep track of, and that covers a spectrum of the self.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:55:04 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;5933
I think for Dark Flame there needs to be internal and external *things* going on.  I'd do more one physical, one emotional, and one intellectual goal.  babystep for each.

Like "wash my hair regularly, stop saying nasty things about my weight, read that book about Greece that I've had on my nightstand forever"

Something that's concrete, that you can keep track of, and that covers a spectrum of the self.

Not that it matters... but I like the emotional aspect. I think many people say an think many a bad thing about themselves, which seems to undermine the whole idea/concept, IMO.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;5933
I'd do more one physical, one emotional, and one intellectual goal.  babystep for each.

I think I'd add a spiritual goal to that list.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:41:49 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;5970

I think so too, with the spiritual bit focusing on being part of the Universe.

*thinking out loud here*
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

I'm having a hard time coming up with a specifically-spiritual goal - as I saw it, the other three all had a spiritual *component* to them.

I treat my body better, because it is of the Divine - I treat my mind better, because it is of the Divine .. that sort of thing.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:29:32 pm »
I think I will do this same thing. Do you guys think that yoga, meditation or chakra work qualifies as spiritual, though?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;6043
I think I will do this same thing. Do you guys think that yoga, meditation or chakra work qualifies as spiritual, though?

First rule of FlameKeeping - if it works, it's good! :D

Though again, this is where spiritual overlaps - yoga is spiritual AND physical - that sort of thing.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;6056
First rule of FlameKeeping - if it works, it's good! :D

Though again, this is where spiritual overlaps - yoga is spiritual AND physical - that sort of thing.

I could do yoga as physical, then chakra as a spiritual. Then reverse them like....the next month.

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:05:26 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;6036
I'm having a hard time coming up with a specifically-spiritual goal - as I saw it, the other three all had a spiritual *component* to them.

I'm thinking along the lines of connecting with or deepening a relation with a deity, or trying to connect to the divine thread inside of us, or meditation.

It's still a half-formed thought.

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:07:29 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;6043

I think they can, yes. Yoga is one of those things (like any exercise) that can be spiritual or just physical. It depends on the person.

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:48:20 pm »

Okay, I have been working on lists of questions for each goal category. Basically the idea is that they are journaling prompts that will help the reader decide what they need to work on. Any questions I'm missing? I'm having the hardest time coming up with spiritual questions.

Physical
What health problems do you have? What dietary, nutritional, or exercise responsibilities do you shirk? What part of your body is the weakest? What physical goals do you have?

Emotional
How stable are your emotions? What is your base emotion? Which emotion/s do you have trouble with? How do you feel when you're alone? With others? How do you act toward others? How do you handle stress? What about your emotions do you wish you could change? What negative thoughts do you have?

Mental
What would you like to learn more about? What do you enjoy learning about? What don't you know much about that regularly effects you? How good is your memory?

Spiritual
How do you connect with the Divine? Is that connection as strong as you would like it to be?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 09:08:23 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;6663
Okay, I have been working on lists of questions for each goal category. Basically the idea is that they are journaling prompts that will help the reader decide what they need to work on. Any questions I'm missing? I'm having the hardest time coming up with spiritual questions.

That's one of the reasons I'm having a hard time with spiritual as a specific option - if it's concrete work, having a nebulous *thing* really defeats the purpose IMO.

I think a better question would be "how does this relate to being Divine?" to each piece.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 10:20:40 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;6663

Spiritual
How do you connect with the Divine? Is that connection as strong as you would like it to be?

Chiming in here with some thoughts that have worked for related kinds of reflections I've done in the past:

- Do you share any part of your spiritual practice with other people? If so, when and how?

- What do you do to connect your spiritual path to your daily life (i.e. through things you read, listen to, small actions throughout your day, etc.)

- What spiritual practices have you done the longest? Why do you keep coming back to that?

- What spiritual practices would you like to explore next? What are some ways you could include the chance to do that in your life?

- What do you wish were different about your spiritual practice? Why? What steps could you take to change that over time?
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 01:55:34 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;6802
Chiming in here with some thoughts that have worked for related kinds of reflections I've done in the past:

Thank you, Jenett, for those suggestions!

Here's the updated version:

Physical
What health problems do you have? What dietary, nutritional, or exercise responsibilities do you shirk? What part of your body is the weakest? What physical goals do you have? How does this relate to being divine?

Emotional
How stable are your emotions? What is your base emotion? Which emotion/s do you have trouble with? How do you feel when you're alone? With others? How do you act toward others? How do you handle stress? What about your emotions do you wish you could change? What negative thoughts do you have? How does this relate to being divine?

Mental
What would you like to learn more about? What do you enjoy learning about? What don't you know much about that regularly affects you? How good is your memory? How does this relate to being divine?

Spiritual
How do you connect with the Divine? Is that connection as strong as you would like it to be? What spiritual practices would you like to explore next? What are some ways you could include the chance to do that in your life? What do you wish were different about your spiritual practice? Why? What steps could you take to change that over time?

Tags: