browen is on a distinguished road browen's Avatar
    Last Online
    3 Jan 2013 @ 06:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pagan

The End or a Beginning

I'm not sure if I put this in the right place or if this topic has been talked to death, but...
    I was wondering what everyone's opinion is of "doomsday" 2012. I've done a bit of poking around on the internet to see what the fuss is about and I know that it has to do with the end of the Mayan calendar, but do people really think we are all going to die?

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: The End or a Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by browen View Post
    ....and I know that it has to do with the end of the Mayan calendar, but do people really think we are all going to die?
    Only a (relatively) few people really believe that. The Mayans apparently did not even really believe that.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Oct 2015 @ 12:05 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    Only a (relatively) few people really believe that. The Mayans apparently did not even really believe that.
    In addition to this, it's mostly the work of poorly-researched books in the new-age (rhymes with "sewage" in this case) section and the History Channel's love of shoving a microphone in the face of the nearest person with a tinfoil hat.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
    My Spiritual Blog

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    Maps will become famous soon enough Maps's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Apr 2013 @ 11:43 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Rain cultist

I'm not sure if I put this in the right place or if this topic has been talked to death, but...
    I was wondering what everyone's opinion is of "doomsday" 2012. I've done a bit of poking around on the internet to see what the fuss is about and I know that it has to do with the end of the Mayan calendar, but do people really think we are all going to die?
    Yeah the Mayas didn't come up with anything like that. Fuckin' westerners are the ones that like to think of everything so linearly, but indigenous peoples are often in the habit of viewing the world through cycles. The end of this baktun or whatever (I'm a Yucatec reconstructionist, but that doesn't mean I want to touch any of this stuff with a ten foot pole) is simply the end of a cycle. You draw a mark at one point along a wheel, let it go around once and hey, what do you know, the mark will end up at that same point again eventually. The wheel doesn't explode when that happens, it goes around again.

The only thing that might be of consequence to the relevant people is that we might be getting a "new" sun god, but... seeing as how I honor the sun as an aspect of another deity to begin with, it's not a huge deal to me personally anyways.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Chopper Challenge Champion Shine is on a distinguished road Shine's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Apr 2013 @ 12:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic at heart + assortment

What Maps said.

And even IF the end of the Mayan calendar meant doomsday, I'm pretty sure someone recently discovered a continuation of that calendar in a temple somewhere.

I wonder why humans are so concerned with doomsday? If/when it happens, what are we supposed to be able to do about it?
    Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nic an Dair is on a distinguished road Nic an Dair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pantheistic Celtic/Neo-Druidic influenced Pagan, Clann Bhride
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    What Maps said.

And even IF the end of the Mayan calendar meant doomsday, I'm pretty sure someone recently discovered a continuation of that calendar in a temple somewhere.

I wonder why humans are so concerned with doomsday? If/when it happens, what are we supposed to be able to do about it?
    It probably harkens back to Freud's idea of Todestrieb, or death drive. It seems like some people have the zest for life, while others like to cherry-pick bits of archaeology, apply all prophecies, like Nostradamus', to it, think it's the end of the world as we know it, and then try it make the end happen faster. *sighs* Yet, they'd still die in their stocked-up, 60 feet underground bunker, even if it did happen.
    Last edited by Nic an Dair; 18 Oct 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling error

Newbie Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points
    browen is on a distinguished road browen's Avatar
    Last Online
    3 Jan 2013 @ 06:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    What Maps said.

There's nothing we can do about it. It seems the Christians are the ones who are most concerned with it, but that doesn't make sense to me. If they truly believe what they say they believe then they would know that the Bible says that we can't predict it. We won't know when it happens. I don't think we should worry about it so much. What will happen will happen and there's nothing we can do about it. There is so much more out there that is bigger than we are and we can't control that.
    We are what we think, All that we are, arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts, We make our world - Buddha

Banned Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    EJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past EJay's Avatar
    Last Online
    7 Jan 2017 @ 12:07 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Panentheism

Quote Originally Posted by Maps View Post
    ......but indigenous peoples are often in the habit of viewing the world through cycles. The end of this baktun or whatever..... is simply the end of a cycle. You draw a mark at one point along a wheel, let it go around once and hey, what do you know, the mark will end up at that same point again eventually. The wheel doesn't explode when that happens, it goes around again.
    ^This.

Unfortunately the Mayan culture didn't survive to reprint the new calendar.

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine's Avatar
    Last Online
    17 Mar 2017 @ 03:38 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Haunt for jackals; home for owls
    Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by EJay View Post
    ^This.

Well, sort of. There are plenty of Mayans left. They just have other priorities.
    "Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
    "There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do."
    - Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    Maps will become famous soon enough Maps's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Apr 2013 @ 11:43 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Rain cultist

Quote Originally Posted by EJay View Post
    ^This.

"The Maya are all gone" is, to me, the most dangerous thought to get mainstream attention with this doomsday business. There are millions of indigenous Maya still alive and well today. Not sure if the world is going to end in a few months? Freakin' ask one.

Do people believe that the Italian peninsula sat empty an unoccupied after the fall of Rome?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast