Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: other peoples BOS, Grimoires, etc  (Read 1961 times)

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
other peoples BOS, Grimoires, etc
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:18 am »
So, I am fascinated by knowledge. I buy most books I can get my hands on. But I have been wondering what other people's book of shadows look like. I don't really care about having "quick spells" I am just curious. And think I could learn so much.

SO my question - does anyone know if it's possible to purchase other people's books. I imagine they wouldn't be cheap, and probably far and few between, but I just wanted to know if its ever been heard of.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: other peoples BOS, Grimoires, etc
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;75988
So, I am fascinated by knowledge. I buy most books I can get my hands on. But I have been wondering what other people's book of shadows look like. I don't really care about having "quick spells" I am just curious. And think I could learn so much.

SO my question - does anyone know if it's possible to purchase other people's books. I imagine they wouldn't be cheap, and probably far and few between, but I just wanted to know if its ever been heard of.

One of the major purposes of creating your own book of shadows is the accumulation of your own knowledge. i.e. you enter into it what you learn along the way. Buying someone else's robs you of that necessary research purpose of the BOS.

There are some pre-made ones by various publishers you can purchase, but they usually don't have anything more than the basics and the Wiccan Rede in them.

There is a recent thread on this forum that talks about what people put into their BOS and how they go about organizing it, maybe you'd be interested in looking at that? :)

greywolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »

Mine was on my computer. It was part printed out, part drawn, part handwritten. All kept in a three ring binder. I would never sell mine and don't know anyone who would either. Most things like that would be inherited.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »

I can't imagine a living practitioner selling theirs, unless maybe they've converted to a different faith?  But you might have some luck at estate sales.

I always thought that if I had tons of money I'd want to collect medieval/renaissance grimoires.  Just for the awesome.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 02:03:26 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;75999
I can't imagine a living practitioner selling theirs, unless maybe they've converted to a different faith?  But you might have some luck at estate sales.

I always thought that if I had tons of money I'd want to collect medieval/renaissance grimoires.  Just for the awesome.

Sell?  No.

Share insights, experiences, etc as part of a learning experience if you were one of my students (back when I taught), Yes.

You'll find out that this is the norm - they'll share as part of your instruction, but won't sell that information - to me it'd be like selling part of myself instead of sharing part of myself - if you can see the difference

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

I don't have a "Book of Shadows" as it is a wiccan concept but I do keep journals and diaries of what I do.

Unless my daughter follows in my footsteps they will all be burned on my death. I'd never sell any of them. The information they contain is much too personal.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »

I think that might be a bit like asking to buy Ann franks diary while she was still writing in it....O.o
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:51:29 pm »

It's doubtful that anyone would want to sell theirs for money, but if you have a genuine interest in learning about what's in them, you should have no shortage of opportunities. A BoS is usually the product of years of knowledge and discovery, very personal, which grows as you learn. There is no substitute for your own spiritual journey or resources.
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:35 am »

About the only situation I can ever think of it occurring (and I've never actually heard of this happening, this is hypothetical) would be as part of an estate sale if a witch had passed away. Even then it's highly unlikely the book(s) would even go up for sale. If they were recognized for what they were, what family would sell their family member's 'diaries'? If they weren't recognized, they'd probably be mistaken for worthless.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:54:02 am by Vitkyng »

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 03:52:29 am »

A lot of what's in my journal wouldn't be of interest to anyone else. They are my personal experiences with those elements of magick I've chosen to work with. What I will garner from an experience may be entirely different than what you would garner from the same circumstances. Each of us will learn according to our own needs and personal development. My understanding of fire, for example, may hold no meaning and therefore no power for you. For me, magick is about personal correspondences and therefore it's a search within yourself, rather than outside of you.

You may find such an item in an auction for antiquities or for the personal possessions of famous occultists. But I wouldn't imagine such things would be cheap.

Tags: