"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Shift starts and busy schedules  (Read 2304 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Shift starts and busy schedules
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:15 am »
For many of you, that may not be an issue, but here in the UK, sundown times fluctuate widely. A shift can start as early as 4, in winter, or as late as 10 (or later), in high summer.

Obviously, scheduled activities don't take that into consideration.

So I wonder: how do you people get into the swing of your shift, so to speak, if there is still a lot of mundane things to take care of? What if you are at work when your shift starts? We all have our little 'taking up' rituals, but what happens when, for whatever reason, you can't stick to them?
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Shift starts and busy schedules
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:32:41 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;5681
So I wonder: how do you people get into the swing of your shift, so to speak, if there is still a lot of mundane things to take care of? What if you are at work when your shift starts? We all have our little 'taking up' rituals, but what happens when, for whatever reason, you can't stick to them?

I've been lucky so far because I joined the Cill in early summer so all of my shifts have started late and I've been able to get most mundane things out of the way first.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the winter though. When sunset is at 4pm then I'm going to be at work when most shifts start. One thing I'll do is take my Brighid's cross necklace to work and put it on as close to sunset as I can. I have a large battery powered candle at home but I found a small one that I could maybe keep in my bag and switch on at work.

I'm really interested in hearing other people's ways of dealing with this

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Shift starts and busy schedules
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »
We all have our little 'taking up' rituals, but what happens when, for whatever reason, you can't stick to them?

I've sort of addressed that by having no real ritual at all. I just mentally acknowledge that my shift is starting or ending, have a little talk with Herself. I'd like to actually light a candle when I'm at home, but often I don't notice it's after sundown until it gets dark.

I have yet to understand why I've not been thwapped with the giant clue-by-four over my somewhat casual attitude towards the flame keeping. She's certain good enough about making Her displeasure known over other things! Though some cycles, I feel like my shift is the only night I really unwind and relax...

Karen

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:37 am »

I keep Brighid's flame every night, so it quickly became somewhat routine.  Since I'm no longer working, I don't have to deal with the question of what to do when still at work at sundown.  But when I *was* working, like Rocquelaire, I tried to think far enough ahead to have my shift necklace with me so I could put it on at around sunset.  I also had a battery-powered tea light that lived on my desk in a pretty little sunburst tea light holder, so I could turn that on at sunset.  If I used that, I left it on overnight and just turned it off at the end of the next day.  I'd light my lamp when I got home from work.  I've also heard of people using candle screen savers at the office, which I think is a great idea.

At home, it's pretty easy to light my lamp around sundown.  TBH, I don't worry too much about whether I'm lighting it at the crack of sunset.  I just light it when I notice that it's starting to get dark outside.

If I happen to be out during the evening when my shift starts, I try to at least be aware of when the sun sets and to acknowledge it -- silently or out loud, depending on the circumstances.  Then I just light my lamp as soon as I get home.

IMO, Brighid is well aware that we live in a very different world than the one in which 19 women tended Her flame around the clock.  She knows that we no longer have a literal hearth where a fire is always burning for the purposes of cooking and heating.  She knows we can't safely leave a candle or lamp burning while we're asleep or out of the house.  I think the modern version of flamekeeping is much more metaphorical, and that the important part happens in our heads as we become and maintain a kind of mindfulness of our commitments to Brighid.

Just my $0.02.  :)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Kelly Ann

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:37 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;6745
I keep Brighid's flame every night, so it quickly became somewhat routine.  Since I'm no longer working, I don't have to deal with the question of what to do when still at work at sundown.  But when I *was* working,

~ Aster

My daughters actually help. They are young 8 & 13 but they know of my journey with Brighid.  I got each of them their own battery powered candle and I have my shift marked on the calendar.  They started to call it Brighid Night.  So if i am not able to be at home, one or both will light their candle.  I then light mine when I get home.  

I work from home now, but when I had to go to the office or needed to be somewhere else, I use a small 3in battery candle. I also have a necklace and bracelet I wear.  

One thing I just started this year, was a journal that I write my thoughts in during my shift.  I can take it anywhere and I feel like I am attending the eternal flame of my heart and soul.

Tags: