Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Paganicon 2013  (Read 17752 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Paganicon 2013
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:17:10 pm »
We've talked about it in other threads, but I just realised I should do the yearly thread update.

Paganicon is a smallish (250 people last year, more we hope this year!) hotel-based conference held just outside Minneapolis, MN. This year, it's March 15-17th, 2013.

It's held in the Doubletree Park Place in St. Louis Park, which is readily accessible by public transit, and which has a wide range of (really good!) food options nearby. The hotel has been really great to us the past two years, and they think having a Pagan convention is lots of fun.

The Guests of Honour are Orion Foxwood and Brandy Williams, and there are various other awesome plans in the works. (I am still somewhat associated with the committee, but I'm now 1500 miles from Minnesota, so my role is more limited than it used to be. Regardless, if you have questions, I can help get them to the right person.)

You can find basic info at http://tcpaganpride.org/paganicon/ and there should be more updates sometime really soon. (The same folks run Twin Cities Pagan Pride Day, so the focus is about to shift to Paganicon.)

Registration rates are $50 through October 1st, go up to $65 until a few weeks before, and then are $80 from then to at the door. No single memberships.

Last year, we had a whole slew of people from the upper Midwest, including a contingent from Indiana, a few from Canada, and a smattering from other places. And I'm now counting, what, 5? More than 5? Cauldronites who will be there. (We should definitely plan a meal or something.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paganicon 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:37:59 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;75297
We've talked about it in other threads, but I just realised I should do the yearly thread update.

Paganicon is a smallish (250 people last year, more we hope this year!) hotel-based conference held just outside Minneapolis, MN. This year, it's March 15-17th, 2013.

I'm tentatively planning on going, though I'll probably commute from Lk Mtka each day

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;75297

Registration rates are $50 through October 1st, go up to $65 until a few weeks before, and then are $80 from then to at the door. No single memberships.

Lack of proofreading here: sorry. No single-day memberships, I meant.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75302
I'm tentatively planning on going, though I'll probably commute from Lk Mtka each day

Wooo!

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;75304
Wooo!

I'm...argh, I'm thinking about going.  Not too sure at this point whether I will or not: I'm kind of on the fence.

It sounds like fun, and getting to know those in the community would be a bonus.  But beyond that...I think I'm just apprehensive.  I've never been to a pagan gathering before, though I may go to a small one next weekend.  Plus the events offered...they sound interesting, and I'm sure most are very helpful/well run, but going by what was offered last year, anyway, they aren't really related to my own pathwork, so they wouldn't help for me personally.

But community is good.  Oh I don't know...
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »
Quote from: iulla;75307
I'm...argh, I'm thinking about going.  Not too sure at this point whether I will or not: I'm kind of on the fence.

It sounds like fun, and getting to know those in the community would be a bonus.  But beyond that...I think I'm just apprehensive.  I've never been to a pagan gathering before, though I may go to a small one next weekend.  Plus the events offered...they sound interesting, and I'm sure most are very helpful/well run, but going by what was offered last year, anyway, they aren't really related to my own pathwork, so they wouldn't help for me personally.

There's always room at Coffee Cauldron :)

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:10:33 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75308
There's always room at Coffee Cauldron :)

That's Wednesday nights, right?  I have class :'[  Egypt of the Pharaohs, and boy howdy is it boring.  I'd like it to be interesting, but halfway through the 2 and a half hour long class my brain is everywhere but Egypt.  Great material delivered by a boring professor does not a fun class make.

I may have to skip one of these days and join you all.  But don't tell anyone.  :ange:
dum spiro, spero

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:25:19 pm »
Quote from: iulla;75310
That's Wednesday nights, right?  I have class :'[  Egypt of the Pharaohs, and boy howdy is it boring.  I'd like it to be interesting, but halfway through the 2 and a half hour long class my brain is everywhere but Egypt.  Great material delivered by a boring professor does not a fun class make.

I may have to skip one of these days and join you all.  But don't tell anyone.  :ange:

We'll even hide you if needed :ange:

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:25:59 pm »
Quote from: iulla;75307

What would be of interest to you? I can definitely pass that along to the programming chair and/or agitate with people I know who might offer programming of a particular kind.

Events like this are - in so very many ways - determined by who volunteers to show up and do things.

In terms of what to expect: last year there were 4 or so rooms of programming going at any particular point, and our general goal has always been to have something of a mix of path-specific stuff and more general stuff. (when I was running programming, I aimed for about half path-specific stuff and half-topics-of-wide-interest: I continue to agitate for that, and it seems to work pretty well.)

The more general stuff, last year, included panels or workshops on Paganism and mental health, copyright and the Pagan community, online privacy and Pagans, aging and dying as Pagans (things like finding agreeable funeral homes and things like retirement or assisted living communities, but also some conversation about how we create ritual spaces for memorial that are not single-path centered). Plus several things about creativity or creative projects and an outside walk.

Now, I can totally understand where those particular topics might not be of interest to you (or to other people)- and there are definitely some areas of the community where we'd like to increase representation. For reasons specific to the Twin Cities metro community, there hasn't been a ton of reconstructionist activity for the last half-dozen years or so, and that also complicates some things.

But at the same time, we have to work with what we're offered or think there's interest in (and can then talk someone into offering.) So more info on what people want to see is definitely good. (Last year, we solicited programming ideas: I'll try to remember to post here when that survey goes up.)

In terms of actually meeting people: one of the things I intend to nudge the board about (and offer to help with) is some ways for smaller group conversations (maybe a couple of people agreeing to coordinate dinner expeditions for 8 people or so to several different restaurants Friday night, or other equivalent times to hang out and talk more casually), and I want to mull over some other ideas along those lines. (It's something we had a fair bit of interest in last year.)

We also had last year more people than I would have guessed for whom it was not only their first sizeable Pagan event, but their first public Pagan event ever, and I want to do better by those folks.

No event of 250 - which is still a *very* small conference in some ways - is going to be able to offer tons for everyone. (I think last year it was something like 9 or 10 possible time slots across all 3 days, times four rooms, which is only 40ish options, 5 or 6 of which are going to be taken by the guests of honour) But I like to think we can offer some stuff of definite interest to a wide range of people with some planning.

And in terms of just actually meeting people - unless you have a membership, you can't come into the programming spaces. But there's nothing to stop us from arranging a meal of Cauldronites that you could come to, f'ex, if you just wanted to dip your toe in.

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75313
We'll even hide you if needed :ange:

Hahaha!  I will definitely look into going one of these nights, then.

Quote from: Jenett;75314

The more general stuff, last year, included panels or workshops on Paganism and mental health, copyright and the Pagan community, online privacy and Pagans, aging and dying as Pagans (things like finding agreeable funeral homes and things like retirement or assisted living communities, but also some conversation about how we create ritual spaces for memorial that are not single-path centered). Plus several things about creativity or creative projects and an outside walk.

Those were actually among the workshops that sounded the most interesting to me, ones that I would definitely go to if I register.

Now, I can totally understand where those particular topics might not be of interest to you (or to other people)- and there are definitely some areas of the community where we'd like to increase representation. For reasons specific to the Twin Cities metro community, there hasn't been a ton of reconstructionist activity for the last half-dozen years or so, and that also complicates some things.

Oh, you hit the nail on the head!  I've been thinking that I would feel a little out of place as a reconstructionist, going to pagan gatherings: I had kind of gathered that recons are few and far between, here.

If there were reconstructionist-oriented workshops - even just one or two - that would be awesome.  Researching, types of reconstructionism, how to go about reconstructing ancient practices in modern life...anything would be nice.

In terms of actually meeting people: one of the things I intend to nudge the board about (and offer to help with) is some ways for smaller group conversations (maybe a couple of people agreeing to coordinate dinner expeditions for 8 people or so to several different restaurants Friday night, or other equivalent times to hang out and talk more casually), and I want to mull over some other ideas along those lines. (It's something we had a fair bit of interest in last year.)

That's a great idea!
dum spiro, spero

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »
Quote from: iulla;75317

If there were reconstructionist-oriented workshops - even just one or two - that would be awesome.  Researching, types of reconstructionism, how to go about reconstructing ancient practices in modern life...anything would be nice.

For what it's worth, I'll be pitching at least one discussion which will be coming from a recon perspective.  I just need to formulate my ideas and submit the damn thing, which is a subject about which I am currently mildly in a state of panic.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »
Hahaha!  I will definitely look into going one of these nights, then.

Or failing that, maybe I can get a couple people together to meet on a Sat or Sun afternoon someplace - kind of a mini CC

Those were actually among the workshops that sounded the most interesting to me, ones that I would definitely go to if I register.

Ya, too many groups don't seem to see the connection between being a 'spiritual organization' and supplying much needed counseling and other services - any workshop on that is much needed.

Oh, you hit the nail on the head!  I've been thinking that I would feel a little out of place as a reconstructionist, going to pagan gatherings: I had kind of gathered that recons are few and far between, here.

You aren't the only one, I've felt the same since I left Wicca a decade ago and started down my primarily Irish path - Recon groups are few and far between.  The one general recon group that did meet occasionally seems to have vanished; least I haven't been able to find them

That's a great idea!

I'm in - As Jenett said, there's a plethora of eat places in walking distance of the Double Tree

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »

I am reasonably sure we are going to have more of that kind. (I arranged the copyright panel and taught the online Pagan privacy one, I'm pretty sure the woman who did the aging and dying one is interested in revisiting, and the mental health one is a popular repeat and I'm pretty sure the woman who offered *that* really wants to do it again.)

The one I'm looking at proposing for this year is basically Library instruction for Pagan Research - the trick is that it would be *much much* easier to do if we had a projector and computer connection, and that's pricier to arrange.

That's true. (There are a number of Heathen groups, though many of them don't necessarily come to community events labelled Pagan much of the time.)

The back history is that there was a community blow-up in ... 2004? 2005ish? A year or two before I joined the board, because I wasn't around for it - which lead to some fragmenting in the recon community. For a good while, the Twin Cities had an active Celtic recon group (Temple of the River, which closed down last year) and there have been Hellenic recon groups from time to time (or at least discussion sessions.)

But some people had an attack of Life, some people are off doing other things, some people got sick of dealing with the larger community - all perfectly reasonable. If you or people you know *are* interested in something like a monthly get together, I'm pretty sure either Eye of Horus or Magus Books would be glad to talk about occasional space for a very minimal donation. (I also note here that you do not need to know tons about a subject to host a "Here, space for conversation about it.")

(also, hee, I was wondering if the discussion here might bring Darkhawk to admit she was planning to come and make a presentation proposal.)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;75321

There will also be a FlameKeeping consuite - the topic is something about stories I *think*, I lost where I wrote it down and need to find it to prep.  Yes, I'm that scattered.

But I would be more than happy to have a Cauldron meetup in there, or just have Cauldronites pop through.  Make me look busy!  stir up interest! ;)

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 09:13:32 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;75330
Make me look busy!  stir up interest! ;)

Steal all your yarn :eek:

Tags: