Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?  (Read 16616 times)

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:44:11 am »
What is the latest movie you've seen in the theaters? (As opposed to popping a DVD/video cassette into the machine, catching it on cable, downloading and watching on iTunes/other subscription service.)

Did you like it? Dislike it?

To start, I saw X-Men: First Class last weekend, and liked it. (Interesting tangents on the stuff I remember reading ages ago.)

This morning, I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and loved it. :D: :thup: A couple little quibbles about how they dealt with certain (relatively minor) points, but very enjoyable. And I did not see it in 3-D.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:26:38 pm by RandallS »
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:00:13 am »
Quote from: victoreia;5627
What is the latest movie you've seen in the theaters? (As opposed to popping a DVD/video cassette into the machine, catching it on cable, downloading and watching on iTunes/other subscription service.)

To start, I saw X-Men: First Class last weekend, and liked it. (Interesting tangents on the stuff I remember reading ages ago.)

This morning, I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and loved it. :D: :thup: A couple little quibbles about how they dealt with certain (relatively minor) points, but very enjoyable. And I did not see it in 3-D.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 I loved it. I don't like 3D so I just saw it in the old school way.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:24:17 am »

I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 yesterday in theatres, and yes, I saw it in 3D.

It was fantastic. They actually used 3D correctly -- instead of BOOM STUFF IS FLYING AT YOU OH MY GODS, which takes you out of the experience and reminds you you're in a theatre (the opposite effect it should have), it was used to enhance the movie in ways that made you feel you were actually there, right beside the characters as they took the final steps of their journey.

I was very impressed.

As for the movie itself, I loved it. I had a few plot complaints but those were things that really couldn't be fixed by this point in the series. Alan Rickman's performance was, as always, flawless.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:59:12 am »

Transformers 2. It was okay.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:20:19 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;5683
Transformers 2. It was okay.

Insidious last April. I don't go to theatres much, at all. (That trip was for my daughter's b'day.)
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

FantasticSpastic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:54:25 am »
Quote from: Morag;5631
I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 yesterday in theatres, and yes, I saw it in 3D.

It was fantastic. They actually used 3D correctly -- instead of BOOM STUFF IS FLYING AT YOU OH MY GODS, which takes you out of the experience and reminds you you're in a theatre (the opposite effect it should have), it was used to enhance the movie in ways that made you feel you were actually there, right beside the characters as they took the final steps of their journey.

I was very impressed.

As for the movie itself, I loved it. I had a few plot complaints but those were things that really couldn't be fixed by this point in the series. Alan Rickman's performance was, as always, flawless.

I saw Harry Potter last night, and I must say I have never been so happy with how they handled this one :)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
Quote from: Starglade;5688
Insidious last April. I don't go to theatres much, at all. (That trip was for my daughter's b'day.)

DOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Was that movie as frightening as people are making it out to be?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »
What is the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?

I think it was Thor back in May. Every other time I've wanted to see a movie since then, my friends end up going without me so I have no one to go with.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;5708
DOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Was that movie as frightening as people are making it out to be?

Not really, no. I mean if you are kind of easy-to-medium scared by horror movies, then maybe? At best you might get creeped out by certain scenes (I think I jumped once in my seat when something dropped in a scene), but for me I just laughed at most of it because the musical score is freaking terrible. It pulls you out because it's so stereotypically horror movie. Think that really tense violin stringing sound.

Weirdly enough, they handled the plot points pretty okay, like the logistics of contacting the Otherworld and how it contacts us. I can't remember specifics right now, but I remember it being pretty good, and not all that out there. Well, for a horror movie, anyways. :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Lucid

• View Profile
What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:36:10 pm »
Xmen origins

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 06:38:41 pm »

Just came back from HP. Liked it overall, but the ending was just ridiculous. When can we have a spoiler thread so I can bitch about this?? :p

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:39:58 pm »
Quote from: treekisser;5772
Just came back from HP. Liked it overall, but the ending was just ridiculous. When can we have a spoiler thread so I can bitch about this?? :p

Did you read the books beforehand? If you did, well... :D

There was actually someone who yelled "NOOOO" when the text appeared on the screen, and we all laughed. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't include it either.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:59 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;5773
Did you read the books beforehand? If you did, well... :D

Yeah, I did...but I'd expected them either to cut it out or...mumblespoilermumble.

In any case the ridiculousness set in just before that. GAH MUST START SPOILER THREAD NOW.

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:15:06 pm »

Rango, I think.  My husband caught more of the funny movie references than I did, but it didn't take away from the film and we both enjoyed it.  The animation was great and the story was well paced and witty.

Barring any unforseen problems, we're off to see Deathly Hallows Part 2 tomorrow evening.  I've been renting the Harry Potter movies all week to prepare my husband since he's not a fan.  (I learned that reviewing previous movies is helpful after I took him to see Order of the Phoenix and he whispered to me halfway through- "What's going on?"  Oy.)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »

I saw the new Winnie the Pooh movie on Friday with my Mom. :) It was cute, but I didn't love it- I certainly don't feel the need to ever watch it again.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tags: