Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Author Topic: Homeopathic Remedies.  (Read 5454 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Homeopathic Remedies.
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:28:45 pm »
This thread isn't for me, but for my nephew, Skylar. He is two and a half months old and "suffers from colic." In all reality, I don't think the problem is colic: I think that there is something honestly wrong, but the doctor says "colic" and "fuss." And of course, my nephew's mother either doesn't care that there could be something seriously wrong and/or isn't forceful enough. (Probably both.) :mad:

Anyway, until I can force her to grow some balls and talk to her a doctor, I'm looking for some homeopathic remedies for colic. If nothing else, we can try this and see how it works.

And, you know, if it doesn't, then we know it isn't colic.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Homeopathic Remedies.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:43 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;5578

I really hope the boy will be fine.

And to your question, homeopathy doesn't really work that way.
It's not like: I have a headache - take an aspirin.

There are kinda ready-to-go remedies that are on homeopathic base, but I am very skeptic about them.
The principal behind homeopathy is to find a remedy that would cause exactly the same symptoms in a healthy person. To find the right remedy one has to find out everything about the symptoms. How they occur, when, what betters them, what worsens them. Then you can find the right remedy.

The trick about using it, is that the remedy provokes the body with a fake disease (thus this trade of initial aggravation you hear often about when using homeopathy). Then the body is forced to fight this and along the way regaining the balance and thus health.

So it's not as easy to say: give the boy this or that.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:11:58 pm »
This thread isn't for me, but for my nephew, Skylar. He is two and a half months old and "suffers from colic." In all reality, I don't think the problem is colic: I think that there is something honestly wrong, but the doctor says "colic" and "fuss." And of course, my nephew's mother either doesn't care that there could be something seriously wrong and/or isn't forceful enough. (Probably both.) :mad:

Anyway, until I can force her to grow some balls and talk to her a doctor, I'm looking for some homeopathic remedies for colic. If nothing else, we can try this and see how it works.

I might have an alternative diagnosis, if you're interested. If he cries a lot, tends to show discomfort and pain of the tummy right before taking a massive, gassy, and most likely messy as hell poop, he might be lactose intolerant. I am, and guess how badly I had "colic", according to my mom? Watch when he has an episode, and see if its after milk (whether of mom or of baby formula) or if its after everything you give him. My reaction to dairy starts anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after eating it, with sharp pains (feels like I ate an angry hedgehog O.o) and a dash for the bathroom. Tends to be interesting colors, too.
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:18:56 pm »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;5712
I might have an alternative diagnosis, if you're interested. If he cries a lot, tends to show discomfort and pain of the tummy right before taking a massive, gassy, and most likely messy as hell poop, he might be lactose intolerant. I am, and guess how badly I had "colic", according to my mom? Watch when he has an episode, and see if its after milk (whether of mom or of baby formula) or if its after everything you give him. My reaction to dairy starts anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after eating it, with sharp pains (feels like I ate an angry hedgehog O.o) and a dash for the bathroom. Tends to be interesting colors, too.

The crying doesn't seem remotely related to anything. And when I say that he cries, I mean that he does it all day.

He stops for just long enough to find something interesting--a light, a crystal, somebody's face--and then starts doing this hitching sighing sob, which is then followed by long-winded sobbing sessions. The weird thing is that he stops when he gets distracted by something, but the fascination only lasts for, max, twenty minutes. It's just... there's something wrong with him.

Never mind the fact that he still can't hold his head up.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;5719
The crying doesn't seem remotely related to anything. And when I say that he cries, I mean that he does it all day.

He stops for just long enough to find something interesting--a light, a crystal, somebody's face--and then starts doing this hitching sighing sob, which is then followed by long-winded sobbing sessions. The weird thing is that he stops when he gets distracted by something, but the fascination only lasts for, max, twenty minutes. It's just... there's something wrong with him.

Is he .. hungry?  I assume that's a dumb question, but swug was ALWAYS hungry - way more than "normal".

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:18 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;5719

I wouldn't worry about the head business until 6 months, that's the point when most babies, according to my child development sources, can hold their own head up reliably.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:48:32 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;5739
Is he .. hungry?  I assume that's a dumb question, but swug was ALWAYS hungry - way more than "normal".

The so called 'colic' (which is just a collection of symptoms; the amount and timing of crying) in our son turned out to be a pulled neck muscle from birth. A chiropractor fixed it in just a couple of sessions after 6-8 weeks of insanity.

For my nephew it was dairy intolerance.

As Tana also said; it can be so much and the remedy (homeopathic or otherwise) has to match what it's caused by.
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;5739

That's the first thing we try, aside from checking the diaper. :) And, yes/no. He eats but not a lot in one sitting. Just more frequently than my son did. Then again, Rowan liked to put away a bottle and a half at every sitting when he was Skylar's age.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;5926
I wouldn't worry about the head business until 6 months, that's the point when most babies, according to my child development sources, can hold their own head up reliably.

Every child I've ever been in contact with, from mine to friends' children and whatnot, has always been able to hold their heads up for longer periods than Skylar by this age. Rowan was well onto his way of sitting up on his own. My friend's daughter is already sitting up and she's only about a month older than Skylar. Skylar seems too wobbly for his age, as though his neck muscles aren't strong enough.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Monica Mc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:11:51 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;6049
That's the first thing we try, aside from checking the diaper. :) And, yes/no. He eats but not a lot in one sitting. Just more frequently than my son did. Then again, Rowan liked to put away a bottle and a half at every sitting when he was Skylar's age.

If he is eating small amounts frequently he could be constantly uncomfortable and may do better waiting at least three hours between feeds and having more at one time. I know a few babies who had massive improvements when they ate less often.

The other thing that often crops up at this age and can be put down as colic is overstimulation making babies anxious. If they are fussy and can't be settled then take them into a boring place and then do any two of the following three things, touch them, look at them or talk to them. It sounds odd and I have got no idea where I learnt about it but it really does work for some people.

There is something which apparantly helps colicky babies but I can't for th elife of me remember what it is. Have you tried asking the local chemist? I'm sure it was somthing you could buy off the shelf at the pharmacy.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:27:56 pm »
Quote from: Monica Mc;6131

There is something which apparantly helps colicky babies but I can't for th elife of me remember what it is. Have you tried asking the local chemist? I'm sure it was somthing you could buy off the shelf at the pharmacy.

Do you mean gripe water?  It is a standard in most households with babies here.  It is a pepperminty liquid that you mix with water in a baby's bottle and tends to settle their stomachs.  Some people get it at the drug store, some make their own.  It's very mild and almost everyone I know has had it at some point in their lives.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »

there is a  certain  kind of  formula  a friend of mine  used  for her  daughter  when she  cried all day like that,  it  made a  HUGE difference. What  kind of formula  is Skylar  on  now?  Maybe  giving him a  soya  based  formula  for  a week  and see if that  helps at all. I'll try  to  find out the name of the formula she had thou  I know it  really  helped  her  daughter's  " colic"
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;6050
Every child I've ever been in contact with, from mine to friends' children and whatnot, has always been able to hold their heads up for longer periods than Skylar by this age. Rowan was well onto his way of sitting up on his own. My friend's daughter is already sitting up and she's only about a month older than Skylar. Skylar seems too wobbly for his age, as though his neck muscles aren't strong enough.

Has your sister taken the baby to a doctor?  If the head thing really bothers you and you think the child is seriously behind, then bring that up and insist she go for a checkup.

I got from your first post that your sister won't take the baby to a doctor, if this is incorrect, I apologise.  But weak neck muscles can be a barometer for other things.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:58:02 pm »
Quote from: Jubes;6201
there is a  certain  kind of  formula  a friend of mine  used  for her  daughter  when she  cried all day like that,  it  made a  HUGE difference.

the  name of the formula  is   Nutramigen, it stopped  most of the  crying   bouts  almost  immediately if you  can get her to try him on that it  might help.
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »
Quote from: Monica Mc;6131

I think you're referring to "gripe water." I found a well reputed brand and suggested it. I haven't heard if they've bought it/tried it yet.

I do think the over stimulation idea has some merit. Our family is... uh... pretty stimulating, to say the least. :D:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Tags: