Keiyaku is on a distinguished road Keiyaku's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Aug 2016 @ 07:32 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Shin Buddhism, experimenting with a blend of Wicca and Buddhism

Statues of Deity X standing in for Deity Y

My aunt recently gifted me a statue of the Virgin Mary. Even though I am not a devotee of the Virgin. This got me thinking.

In Japan, when Christianity was outlawed, Christians would often use statues of Kannon, Buddhist Bodhisatva of Salvation, as statues of the Virgin Mary. Often, these statues were inscribed with a hidden cross.

What does everyone else think of this practice?

Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    NibbleKat is on a distinguished road NibbleKat's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Oct 2014 @ 02:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hard Polytheist

Re: Statues of Deity X standing in for Deity Y

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    My aunt recently gifted me a statue of the Virgin Mary. Even though I am not a devotee of the Virgin. This got me thinking.

In Japan, when Christianity was outlawed, Christians would often use statues of Kannon, Buddhist Bodhisatva of Salvation, as statues of the Virgin Mary. Often, these statues were inscribed with a hidden cross.

Do you specifically mean the practice of worshiping one deity in secret with a statue of another deity, or do you mean generally putting, say, a statue of Venus on an altar and worshiping in front of it with the idea that it's Freya?
    I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
    http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
    Ask if you're interested.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Queen of Wands is on a distinguished road Queen of Wands's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Apr 2016 @ 08:55 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    taoist witch

In the sense of "all gods are the same gods/source" or for those who feel they must hide their true beliefs, I think this is an excellent alternative thinking. Or perhaps, for example, you really do see Freya as what most people think of as the Virgin Mary.

Obviously, to each their own, so long as the gods are not offended

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine has a brilliant future Valentine's Avatar
    Last Online
    17 Mar 2017 @ 03:38 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Haunt for jackals; home for owls
    Pronouns
    she/her

I think it's hardly an ideal way to work, but it is certainly a very common and historically-rooted response to having to practice one's religion in an oppressive/repressive environment, and people forced to keep their pieties secret have done it since time immemorial. There are a lot of similar practices among indigenous people under colonization--look at the cultic practices around Our Lady of Guadalupe or La Santa Muerte, or around the syncretic forms of Catholicism and Islam in the rural Philippines and Indonesia--and among enslaved people--look at the way African diasporic religions developed, with saint equivalences and so on.
    When we have to, we find ways to do what we know is true, even if it has to be concealed.
    "Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
    "There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do."
    - Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    I think it's hardly an ideal way to work, but it is certainly a very common and historically-rooted response to having to practice one's religion in an oppressive/repressive environment, and people forced to keep their pieties secret have done it since time immemorial.
    Valentine pretty much pegs it, I believe.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Chopper Challenge Champion Shine is on a distinguished road Shine's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Apr 2013 @ 12:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic at heart + assortment

I think it's okay if (a) there's no other option, (b) the deity in question is okay with it, and (c) the statue is at least similar to the deity's real form. For example, a statue of a puma would be an okay stand-in in my mind for Bast (assuming a and b), but a fish would not.

I imagine if you had no other options, the deity would be more likely to be okay with it.
    Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Castus has a spectacular aura about Castus has a spectacular aura about Castus has a spectacular aura about Castus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Karaite Judaism

It was an especially common practice in Byzantium, where pagans would often disguise deities like Apollo in icons of Christ. Which is ironic, because research suggests that the -forgive me- iconic look of Orthodox icons was first perfected in images of the Dii Consentes. But while I agree with others who said it's not really ideal, it's certainly nothing bad or unusual either.
    No masters or kings when the ritual begins
    There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin
    In the madness and soil of that sad earthly scene
    Only then I am human
    Only then I am clean

Adept Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstructionist, imaginary Baltic heathen, Loki-adjacent, small p polytheist and UU
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I saw this thread referred at the bottom of another thread and it actually ties in with something I was thinking about the other day as I rebuilt my altars after moving.

Two of my primary goddesses are Latvian - Mara and Laima. Neither one, as you might imagine, has a whole lot of statuary available. Mara has been compared to the Catholic/Orthodox Mary, and Laima to the Hindu Lakshmi, and so I use statues of them on the altar. So far, nobody's complained. I think it helps, though, that the synchronization already existed so I had something to base my choice on.

I can't see any reason not to do this, as long as the deity doesn't mind.
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    "Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
    "[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Lorien35 is on a distinguished road Lorien35's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Mar 2013 @ 07:29 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    pagan

The statue of the Virgin Mary stands for Erzuli Freda in condomble and Santeria, and she's the one I use, for the one I call the Lady, who is Freda, because she always has been, but I've never really thought of what was behind it because it comes from centuries of syncretism. I've seen drawings and pictures of her but on the altar it'll always be the Virgin Mary that stands.

My friend Murray uses a picture of St Brigit in proxy for the Godess Brighid as well, but I think that has to do with the catholic threads in his practises as much as it has to do with her.

Have you seen the Mists of Avalon? That final scene where she sees the Godess in the Virgin Mary was my first thought when I read your thread. I think the form of a God is for us, really, but if we see what they represent when we see their representation, whether it's something traditional or new doesn't really matter. A bit of a religious twist on it's the thought that counts.
    Better they change than disappear.

I also think that the representation does change the God it stands for:
    The Virgin Mary as the Lady stands for the traditions surviving despite efforts of slave owners, and it's a figure that is slightly different from the Loa that arrived from the coasts of Africa, more rebellious, secretive, landing strength as much as love and seduction. I don't know if I'm making any sense.

Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    SatAset is on a distinguished road SatAset's Avatar
    Last Online
    3 Nov 2016 @ 03:02 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Orthodox

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien35 View Post
    The statue of the Virgin Mary stands for Erzuli Freda in condomble and Santeria, and
    Within Santeria/Lukumi, the Orisha are honored; not the lwa. Erzulie Freda is a lwa/loa and would be honored in Vodou. I think you may mean Virgin Mary statues are used for Oshun in Santeria and Erzulie Freda in Haitian Vodou. Within Candomble, the Orisha are honored; I'm not sure if some Houses also honor lwa/loa or not.
    I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy. --SatAset

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast