Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Vibrant has a job.  (Read 8481 times)

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Vibrant has a job.
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »
Starting with this photo from today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59579580@N02/7973642408/in/photostream/lightbox/  My employer is in the saddle, having much more experience with green horses than I have.

Click on "older" to see a macro of her face this morning, followed by another trot photo, a rose, a snake, etc and so on.  Mostly stuff from the farm.

But the important thing is, Vi is in daily work, and we have acquired and Actual Dressage Trainer, locally. :D:

She was bred for it, she is fairly well-built for it...let the stumbling blocks begin. :p

(I bought the bridle, saddle and camera lens from my share of Grandpa's estate.  Interesting how our ancestors care for us after they are gone...)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:23:50 am by RandallS »
"The Author of all things watches over me, and I have a fine horse."  Mattie Ross, True Grit.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Vibrant has a job.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:03:58 pm »
Quote from: WarHorse;73399
Starting with this photo from today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59579580@N02/7973642408/in/photostream/lightbox/  My employer is in the saddle, having much more experience with green horses than I have.
But the important thing is, Vi is in daily work, and we have acquired and Actual Dressage Trainer, locally. :D:

I see that, like many youngsters entering the work force, she has a work uniform - but unlike many, her work uniform includes spats.  (I s'pose they're actually gaiters?  Or have another name of their own?)

Is that to keep her feathers from getting in the way?  I do love the feather-feet (not just on Vi, but on heavies in general), but have often wondered if they posed practical problems.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:21 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;73409

Is that to keep her feathers from getting in the way?  I do love the feather-feet (not just on Vi, but on heavies in general), but have often wondered if they posed practical problems.

Sunflower

Those are brush-boots.  She tends to bring her hind legs very close together at the trot, as some horses do, so these are to protect her from scraping herself.  I prefer polo wraps, to look more dressage-y, but I'll take what I can get.

Earlier this year, when her feathers were larger, brush-boots irritated her.  They were pulling on her feathers and she tried to kick them off.  Now her feathers are smaller and she is just irritated in general, and moves along.

We are both moving along, slowly, learning along the way.
"The Author of all things watches over me, and I have a fine horse."  Mattie Ross, True Grit.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:50 pm »
Starting with this photo from today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59579580@N02/7973642408/in/photostream/lightbox/  My employer is in the saddle, having much more experience with green horses than I have.

Lyric was walking by my PC on her way into the kitchen when I was looking at those pictures and she said "Oh my. Vibrant is all grown up." And still as pretty as ever.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 01:47:04 am »
Quote from: RandallS;73433
Lyric was walking by my PC on her way into the kitchen when I was looking at those pictures and she said "Oh my. Vibrant is all grown up." And still as pretty as ever.

And very unmistakeable.  I am beginning to wonder if my sig line - chosen on a whim - has some further meaning.  It was meant to be funny, Mattie Ross thinking she was a better judge of horseflesh than God.  Now I wonder if it was the other way around, that the horse was a better judge of her than God.  Spin that one out and see what a tangled web is weaved...

And I am flattered that Lyric knew Vi on sight.  (Vi is flattered by no one, save herself.)  Give her a hug and if I can get down there again, I'll make you two a strawberry pie you'll never forget.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:48:39 am »
Quote from: WarHorse;73485
(Vi is flattered by no one, save herself.)

::snort::

Give her a hug and if I can get down there again, I'll make you two a strawberry pie you'll never forget.

We'd love to see you if you get down this way again. However, you sound a lot happier working with horses than you did driving trucks cross-country. And you get to be with Vi.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:31:48 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;73507
We'd love to see you if you get down this way again. However, you sound a lot happier working with horses than you did driving trucks cross-country. And you get to be with Vi.

I am, and I do. :)  But you never know, life is a pretty peculiar place.

And I just figured out where I goofed in the donor thing. :o lol

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »

The plot thickens.

Vi is now my mount for equitation schooling.  My thighs are KILLING me! :p  Green horse plus green rider (as far as equitation on a green horse) = more pain for the rider!  I evaluated Vi this afternoon and she is in much better shape.

Even better news - the dressage trainer (temporarily out of service due to a dog bite) is holding a three-day dressage clinic later this month.  We're in.  It's fairly expensive, but also pretty wide in compass: saddle fitting, longeing the rider, longeing the horse, why harsh methods are counterproductive, etc & so on.

I'm going to be one sore puppy when this is over, but it will be worth the education. ;)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:29 am »
Quote from: WarHorse;76147
Vi is now my mount for equitation schooling.  My thighs are KILLING me! :p  Green horse plus green rider (as far as equitation on a green horse) = more pain for the rider!  I evaluated Vi this afternoon and she is in much better shape.

You have the same problem I would... Vi is young and recovers and strengthens quickly, where I was young once but now recovers slowly and aches a lot. :)
Randall

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:10:18 am »
Quote from: WarHorse;76147
...I'm going to be one sore puppy when this is over, but it will be worth the education. ;)

*applauds for WH and Vi*  That's so exciting!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;76194
You have the same problem I would... Vi is young and recovers and strengthens quickly, where I was young once but now recovers slowly and aches a lot. :)

Exactly!  I've also taken up barefoot running (or almost, I'm wearing Vibrams) so I have more sore muscles than I would.

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;76202
*applauds for WH and Vi*  That's so exciting!

Thank you!  I went to the tack store today to buy a shorter girth (as she is losing hers with the work), and came home with a shorter girth.  And a show jacket.  And white show breeches.

Wherever Grandpa is now, he's having a good laugh.  Really, so am I.  Next year, when I enter that show ring, I will be living a dream fifteen years in the making.  It took a war to get me there, but what's a little war between friends?

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:00 pm »
Quote from: WarHorse;76257
Thank you!  I went to the tack store today to buy a shorter girth (as she is losing hers with the work), and came home with a shorter girth.  And a show jacket.  And white show breeches.

I took time to think this through this morning.  Why would I buy a show jacket and breeches if we weren't showing?

Answer: Because I was confident that we would.  I seldom have this level of confidence.  One of my trainers commented this morning that I was showing more confidence while working her.

It's some kind of breakthrough - mental, emotional or both.

Either way, you would have needed a 12-gauge to blast the smile off my face this morning.  It is still partly there.

Hugs,
War

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »
Quote from: WarHorse;76317
Answer: Because I was confident that we would.  I seldom have this level of confidence.  One of my trainers commented this morning that I was showing more confidence while working her.

Confidence is a good thing. It'll rub off on Vi. :)
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;76326
Confidence is a good thing. It'll rub off on Vi. :)

I suspect what's happening right now is that Vi's confidence (of which, by all reports, she has plenty) is rubbing off on Horsey:).

And, WarHorse - I think your confidence is not misplaced; I'm getting that feeling I get when the deities who concern themselves with your and Vi's stuff think that things are unfolding as they're supposed to.  (Very different than the feeling I get when said deities think things are not on track.)  You will show; that's part of the complicated plan they've been hatching lo these many years.  (And if you ever get to the point where you're competing at Spruce Meadows, and if I'm still in Calgary, I will be there to watch!)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: