Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pseudoscience So when 2012 ends up being bunk - what's next?  (Read 11867 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
So when 2012 ends up being bunk - what's next?
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:57:26 pm »
Wasn't entirely sure where to put this thread, but when I saw the Pseudoscience folder only had one other post in it, I had to put it here.

So when the Apocalypse/Enlightenment/whatever doesn't come to pass at the end of this year, when's the next major event scheduled? How do apocalyptic dates get chosen anyway? Is there a bubbling cauldron of end-of-the-world events somewhere that gets dipped into every decade or so?

Just curious. I've been bored out of my mind with the "Mayan/Aztec Apocalypse" for years. I wanna hear about invasions of crab people or something like that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:17:19 am by SunflowerP »
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: So when 2012 ends up being bunk - what's next?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »
Quote from: Sage;72700
Wasn't entirely sure where to put this thread, but when I saw the Pseudoscience folder only had one other post in it, I had to put it here.

So when the Apocalypse/Enlightenment/whatever doesn't come to pass at the end of this year, when's the next major event scheduled? How do apocalyptic dates get chosen anyway? Is there a bubbling cauldron of end-of-the-world events somewhere that gets dipped into every decade or so?

Just curious. I've been bored out of my mind with the "Mayan/Aztec Apocalypse" for years. I wanna hear about invasions of crab people or something like that.

Well, I suppose by then we'll be needing to worry about peak oil, the food crisis, and climate change.  We won't have time for a Singularity or whatever.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:20:06 pm »

I thought that the 2012 one already happened like back in May? Or was that some other crazy kooks? There was some Christian nutball on the radio or something....I forget.

I know the Jehovah's Witnesses occasionally get new leaders that decide on dates. They claim to calculate it from various numbers in the Bible. I know other people used Qabalah.

Pretty sure other people are just using psychosis.

I personally can't wait for us to plow into Andromeda. It's gonna look neat.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:34 pm »

2016 and the election of Buckman as President?  A few years after that we seize the Canadian Maple Syrup Strategic Reserve (and the rest of Canada)

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:03 pm »

my 11 year old has to take her first set of final exams.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

ccam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »

I'm ready for December 21. It'll either happen and my friend and I can consummate our agreement to meet the end plastered, or it won't and History channel can move on and start showing something else.  Of course, I'm sure they'll still show those Christian rapture/apocalypse programs until it actually happens, which means we could be watching it for a while :(

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:42:04 am »

How do apocalyptic dates get chosen anyway? Is there a bubbling cauldron of end-of-the-world events somewhere that gets dipped into every decade or so?

Ideally, an apocalypse has a pedigree: some interpretation of an ancient text--the Christian bible (though how that nutjob preacher specified his dates, I have no idea), the Mayan calendar (it stops on Dec. 21, 2012, therefore the world must do so), the writings of Nostradamus...

Frankly, I've been bitterly disappointed ever since the Moon failed to blast out of Earth orbit on September 13, 1999.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:00 am »
Quote from: Altair;72737
Frankly, I've been bitterly disappointed ever since the Moon failed to blast out of Earth orbit on September 13, 1999.

Man, I missed that one. I was too worried about the impending collapse of the universe from Y2K.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »
Quote from: Sage;72767
Man, I missed that one. I was too worried about the impending collapse of the universe from Y2K.

You missed it because it wasn't a late-'90s apocalyptic panic; it's a reference to the '70s sci-fi series Space: 1999.

Sunflower (another middle-aged geek)
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:23:42 pm »
Quote from: sailor;72710
2016 and the election of Buckman as President?  A few years after that we seize the Canadian Maple Syrup Strategic Reserve (and the rest of Canada)

Hey, you USAmerican kids, get the hell off our lawn!!!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

coastalstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »

Haha I love the crab people reference. When you find another doomsday prophecy, please let me know. I love hearing about what the Christians will do next. lol

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
So when 2012 ends up being bunk - what's next?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:20:45 pm »
Quote from: coastalstar;72829
Haha I love the crab people reference. When you find another doomsday prophecy, please let me know. I love hearing about what the Christians will do next. lol

Just so long as they don't start burning things (or people) again.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;72837
Just so long as they don't start burning things (or people) again.

Hey hey hey, as a Pagan it is my gods-given right to set shit on fire (in a legal and non-destructive-to-other-property manner). I'm taking back immolation from the ancient Christian fundies.
I shall endure.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;72827
Hey, you USAmerican kids, get the hell off our lawn!!!

Sunflower

Don't worry, you get a glorious red shirt, or at least the unit you were in does.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:19:08 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;72826
You missed it because it wasn't a late-'90s apocalyptic panic; it's a reference to the '70s sci-fi series Space: 1999.

Sunflower (another middle-aged geek)

Sunflower, you never fail me!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: