Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Gods of other pantheons interacting  (Read 4883 times)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Gods of other pantheons interacting
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:23 pm »
What do you all think of gods from different pantheons interacting? What CAN you think of this? I've never had this happen, the only gods i've "met" are those of my Germanic ancestors and no others, but I've heard plenty of stories and it's made me curious.

Anyway, let's hear your input!

Alex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://rockofeye.wordpress.com
Re: Gods of other pantheons interacting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:19:31 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;70841
What do you all think of gods from different pantheons interacting? What CAN you think of this? I've never had this happen, the only gods i've "met" are those of my Germanic ancestors and no others, but I've heard plenty of stories and it's made me curious.

In my experience, this happens quite often. Why WOULDN'T They talk to each other?

I know the Northern pantheon is relatively famous for interacting with Celtic deities, or at least that's the UPG of myself and a few of my friends. I know my God talks to other Deities, but my God doesn't really have a pantheon, so I don't know if that counts.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:20:02 am »

Sort of depends on your perspective of deities. If you think they are archaic images of an underlying force, if they are region-specific, if they are exactly the same the world over.

Archaic forces are universal, the images man paints of them may be different. But those forces in lore and their corresponding manifestations could logically interact, as could those who are region specific.

It really depends.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37:14 am »

I have relationships with Gods from different pantheons. I never sought that out, did not really want it but such is life. I do know that they do communicate with each other, and I know that they know each other well. I don't think that they really work together though. Its kind of like lawers from different firms getting together for martini's (mead in this case maybe ;) ).
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:00:46 am »

I have a shared shrine for Djehuty and Ganesha (and Wepwawet), because They're BFFs or something. I've never asked WHY They like hanging out together, though. I'm not the only one who's experienced it either, so. *shrugs* Maybe They just like each other? I often sense Them hanging out at an oasis together, drinking milk under the shade of a tree. They seem quite fond of each other, like They genuinely seem to enjoy each other's company. It's not really about me.

But I'm polytheistic enough to believe all the Gods exist, and They can totally talk to each other if They want to. I mean, Sobek fostered me off to Hekate for a year, because there were things only She could teach me. It happens. I... don't know why. But it is more about me, and more of a working relationship than the friendship between Djehuty, Ganesha, and Wepwawet. I just go along with it, and figure Sobek knows what He's doing.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:43 am »
What do you all think of gods from different pantheons interacting? What CAN you think of this?

I usually interact with the Irish gods, but recently I got contacted by five animal spirits who seem to predate gods: A bear, a boar, a stag, a turtledove, and a fox. It threw me for a loop because I kept asking, "Which pantheon do you come from?" or "What are your real names?" and every answer they gave me just made me more confused. (Since they appeared to me in human form through visions of the musical Spring Awakening, I call them by the characters they were "cast as," and for a while I was really bothered by it.)

Even my patron the Morrigan is treading carefully around me now, so I asked her why and she gave a vibe that went something like, "They can't hide what they are from us." From what I understand, it means the gods don't just see a group of young adults; they see young adults AND the animal-spirits they really are. And the animals are very, very old.

When the grizzly bear's with me, only the Morrigan has managed to be in his presence. I feel the other members of the Tuatha Dé approaching when I call them, but then they see/sense the bear, tell him "Sorry, never mind," and leave.

It's not out of fear, but lots of respect and at least a bit of self-preservation. Especially with the grizzly. It's really disconcerting because the Tuatha Dé range from 30-60 years old, while the animals' human forms range from late-teens to early-twenties. And the grizzly's human form looks the least threatening of all--he's an adorable, blond nineteen-year-old.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:50:21 am »
What do you all think of gods from different pantheons interacting? What CAN you think of this?

I think some of them must hang out together.  I'm also finding that some people who honor Aset get told to go learn from other deities from different pantheons.  I know of at least two more people that this has happened to.  

Aset has sent me to Oya, Hera, Athena, Frigga and Brighid.  

Athena has called me "Aset's daughter" before so I think they may have spoken at some point.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:51:55 am by SatAset »
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:51 am »

There's a really cool bit in the Aeneid - book 6, in which our hero goes down to the underworld and sees a vision of Rome's future glory. He also sees the battle of Actium, a real Roman pride moment. I recall that the imagery includes the Roman deities fighting back the Egyptian deities. So that's a classical reference for such interaction - I'll try and find the quote, as it's awesome.
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »
Quote from: Alex;70849
I know the Northern pantheon is relatively famous for interacting with Celtic deities, or at least that's the UPG of myself and a few of my friends.

I have heard this from Norse-pantheon worshipers as well; they seem to be quite willing to interact with who they need to for optimal results. Seems to be a personality thing, to me? They're not a passive bunch.

I agree with Laveth, though, if you're not hard-polytheistic, then it's much less of a surprise I suppose? If all Earth goddesses are aspects of an Earth Goddess, then she may have simply needed to appear as X to deal appropriately with God Y. If that makes sense.

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:03:11 am »
Quote from: Unmutual;70894
There's a really cool bit in the Aeneid - book 6, in which our hero goes down to the underworld and sees a vision of Rome's future glory. He also sees the battle of Actium, a real Roman pride moment. I recall that the imagery includes the Roman deities fighting back the Egyptian deities. So that's a classical reference for such interaction - I'll try and find the quote, as it's awesome.

Just to clarify, that's book *8* when Aeneas sees the future on the shield made for him by Vulcan. :o That book has way too much prophecy in it...the scene starts at 8.694

omnigenitumque deum monstra et latrator Anubis
contra Neptunum et Venerem contraque Minervam

"Monstrous gods of every form and barking Anubis wield weapons against Neptune and Venus and against Minerva."

I though it was longer - never mind. I still think an actual, physical battle-between-gods is a cool way to depict two nations at war. Though obviously Virgil shows his bias in labelling the Egyptian deities "monstrous".

And I don't know to what extent this can be considered "canon". Still can't quite get my head around religions without a nice, simple central book, and I am perplexed at how the Roman gods are used by writers in comedy plays, in a manner that Christianity - my nearest reference - would see as blasphemous.
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

Egarwaen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:21:25 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;71089
And I don't know to what extent this can be considered "canon". Still can't quite get my head around religions without a nice, simple central book, and I am perplexed at how the Roman gods are used by writers in comedy plays, in a manner that Christianity - my nearest reference - would see as blasphemous.

Not just Romans. The Greeks did this pretty frequently too.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »
.. Anyway, let's hear your input!

Since I can only speak to my experiences I think certain groups interact with one another but there is also a great deal of competition between them.

I've related before how I was in the Med and started to purchase a statuary item that was supposed to be Artemis only to have the presence I equate to Artemis tell me the item was of that Roman Diana.  Not just once but twice in the ports of Corfu / Korfu and Rhodes, so to me that seemed to imply a great deal of competition between them.  Implying a great importance in knowing one was not the other in my case.

Yet with Artemis, Bast and Pahket, it's like working with a tapestry where the strings pass back and forth as to who is actually in control.   One seems to blur into the other and they compliment one another's energy and presence.  Yes they each have their own individual nature and presence but it compliments each other.  Though I admit at times I do wonder if the Bast and Pahket I see are actually the Egyptian goddesses or the hellenized versions that are equated to Artemis.

The one I call The Huntsman seems to be many rolled into what ever face he presents at the given time.  Seemingly at home in which ever locale or pantheon rules the area in question.  Slipping easily from a Med-European influnce to an Oriental influence and presence, at times to include the trappings of each.

I do think when the need is present they will allow thier followers to work with other gods / goddess.  At one point I was recieving many visions from Kali intended for one of her followers I knew.  Yet before that occured I witnessed both Hecate / Hekate and Kali together with Hecate / Hekate telling me she was allowing Kali to speak to me.  Yet Hecate / Hekate also made it clear, to me anyway, that if it went beyond what she was allowing she would sever the permisson and prevent Kali from speaking to me.

I do think though that we tend to generate an energy signature that tends to pull similar gods / goddesses to us when we enter other areas.  I know the woman who I saw in Japan felt like Artemis but was not Artemis.  No I have no idea of who she was other than oriental.  The woman I saw in Scotland also felt like Artemis but was clearly nordic and left me with the name impression of Freya.  In the US it is the same, except people tell me it was White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing from what I described though she to felt like both Artemis and Hecate / Hekate to me.

For the record I had never heard of White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing at the time.

Eryessa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:07:07 am »

There are two instances of this. I feel that I can set up an altar for Morrigan and Odin together because they are compatible in some ways. But for some reason, I can't put Sekhmet and Bastet with Morrigan and Odin. Actually I've come to the conclusion, cats like birds in a totally different way. This is just from a personal observation.

The second is that I had this happen the other night. I was trying to go to sleep, I sleep on a loft bunk bed so I'm pretty close to the ceiling and I'm facing the wall with a pillow over my head. Sometimes I am sensitive when there are 'unseen' forces in my room. To count on both hands, I've had about six experiences in my room, and I sleep alone, I don't share my room. Anyway, I'm drifting off to sleep and I 'feel' something in my room. But it was like I was aware it was two somethings, and they were at a face off. Being the wuss that I am, I don't dare to look. It only lasted a moment but something came to an agreement and I don't know what it was. Like two women fighting over something. Morrigan, probably, but not with Sekhmet or Bastet, someone different. Someone like her, but someone totally different from the Irish, Norse, Egyptian, Afro-Caribbean paths that I work with. And let me tell you, Odin was standing as far back from the situation as possible.

Could it have been another goddess wanting to come in, possibly because before going to bed, I was reading about Cerridwen. Could she have come to me that night and Morrigan stop her? No idea, probably never will.

With my experiences I think it's possible for other deities to interact.
I am a FanFiction writer: Eryessa: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3054205/Eryessa
I\'m a Fiction Press writer: Eryessa: http://www.fictionpress.com/u/866606/Eryessa

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
Quote from: Eryessa;71267
I'm drifting off to sleep and I 'feel' something in my room. But it was like I was aware it was two somethings, and they were at a face off. Being the wuss that I am, I don't dare to look. It only lasted a moment but something came to an agreement and I don't know what it was. Like two women fighting over something. Morrigan, probably, but not with Sekhmet or Bastet, someone different. Someone like her, but someone totally different from the Irish, Norse, Egyptian, Afro-Caribbean paths that I work with. And let me tell you, Odin was standing as far back from the situation as possible.

Could it have been another goddess wanting to come in, possibly because before going to bed, I was reading about Cerridwen. Could she have come to me that night and Morrigan stop her? No idea, probably never will.

The Morrigan tends to be VERY possessive of the people she claims. It's not that she's jealous, she's just a very potent deity who's also really vocal. Aengus outright refused to work with me past a certain point because "she's got the final say," and she and the Grizzly Bear are a weird impasse because they both consider me "theirs."

I would think that Ceridwen and the Morrigan would at least get along, though.

As for finding out who that entity was, there's no harm in asking the Morrigan during a meditation.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:53:32 am »
Quote from: Egarwaen;71169
Not just Romans. The Greeks did this pretty frequently too.

THOR IN A DRESS.

That is my response.

Tags: